Random Thoughts: UFC 107 Edition

Another UFC ( 107 to be exact)  is in the books, the card over performed by many people’s standards.   This fight card was good for a number of reasons, not least of which is solid finishes.  Overall I must say  Zuffa was able to come though with a great card that answered a lot of questions, and created many more.  Below are my top 5 thoughts from UFC 107.

5. Proper boxing dominates. In both the Florian and Penn fights, it was clear.  Solid real boxing skill will dominate a good “striker” or a wild “brawler”.  There is no substitute for good hands, and the sport is continuing to evolve.  We are on the verge of the day where he who doesn’t have quality boxing will not have a place among the elite in the sport.

4. If John Fitch isn’t fighting Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, or GSP I don’t want to watch him fight on PPV.  Nothing against the guy personally, but it’s time.  If Fitch continues to fight the up and coming of the division,  we are going to see him lose a fight or two he shouldn’t.   Top contenders need to fight top contenders.   Especially in the UFC’s 170 division.

3. Diego Sanchez is a tough SOB, crazy and full of class.  Diego Sanchez  held true to his promise, he kept coming.  Sanchez didn’t give up, even after it was clear that he was out of his league.   The kid kept trying.  To be honest,  I’ve been on the fence with Sanchez, but his post fight comments have told me everything I need to know.   Sanchez while crazy, showed grace and class in defeat.   I look forward to his next fight.

2. Kenny Florian needs to fight Diego again.  It’s time for the rematch.  For my money, Kenny Florian is still the number 2 lightweight in the UFC.  I’d like to see my opinion put to the test.  Kenny vs. Diego Sanchez makes perfect sense as the division shakes out.

1.  B.J. Penn is clearly the best 155 ever.  What is left for the prodigy?  Gray MaynardTyson GriffinFrankie Edgar?  With all due respect, the road to Penn needs to go though the two fighters mentioned in the number 2 spot.  I have no interest in Maynard vs. Penn, and less for  Egard or Griffin vs. Penn.   It’s time to build a contender, or find someone from the outside of the organization to bring in.   B.J. Penn is the best 155 in the world…..ever.   Try as they might to build a contender from within,  Zuffa is in a real tough spot finding guys to fight for the strap.  Who would you have fight Penn next???

• Bad Monkey says:

I’m in total agreement with having Florian and Diego fight each, would be a great fight.

Either way, there is nobody in the UFC at 155 right now that can seriously challenge Penn.

Well-Done. Thumb up 47 Thumb down 3

• atreezy says:

Although not possible at the at this time, I’d love them bring in Shinya Aoki….just to prove he wouldn’t last 5 minutes with the UFC champ.

Well-Done. Thumb up 56 Thumb down 5

• dpk says:

I agree, Diego and KenFlo will fight each other next, and I’m looking forward to it. It will be a great fight, both have evolved so much from the first fight.

This was an awesome card, and a great night of fights.

I can’t wait to see how the HW division shakes out between now and 6 Feb, it will be exciting to see. Brock will be a busy man when he comes back with Carwin, Velasquez v Nog winner, Dos Santos, and Mir all waiting for him and making claims to number 1 contender status.

I’m curious how UFC will handle Struve, I wouldn’t mind seeing him in against Roy Nelson next, he has made a ton of progress since his first fight, and is still very young.

I disagree, I think if Maynard can look good against Diaz, then he will have earned the next shot. Edgar will be right behind him. Eddie Alverez or Aoki would be interesting, but I don’t think either of those guys beats Florian much less BJ. Tyson Griffin lost to Sherk not that long ago, so I think he needs a few more fights to get back to the top. I already wrote this in one post, but if BJ beats Maynard next, I could see him getting restless and heading up to 170 to fight a guy like Hughes or Kos.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 11

• joshuawood says:

We have three divisions now in the UFC where the top contenders have been cleaned out by the champions (e.g. Penn, GSP, and A. Silva). Only at the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions do we have chances to see the titles change anytime soon.

Well-Done. Thumb up 36 Thumb down 3

• joshuawood says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 28

• takimeathead says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 20

• submit662266 says:

I think it is a long shot, and perhaps he is too small, but I think Jose Aldo might be interesting. I know that pick comes from out of nowhere, but he looked insane against Mike Brown. There really doesn’t seem to be anyone that will challenge Aldo for that belt for some time: let him fight BJ.

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 10

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Eddie Alvarez maybe? Another welter who drops down to 155?

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 3

• Guy Gaduois says:

I don’t think that either Florian or Sanchez was going to beat BJ Penn – but isn’t it incredible how bad the cornering was for both these fighters in their championship bid? I thought that Keith Florian’s “Don’t Get Hit Like That!!” was less than helpful in Ken Florian’s fight against BJ, but “You gotta take him down” mantra after the fourth for Diego’s guy was just crazy. Hey, Coach: We just got a telegraph from out West – that isn’t working. Give him something else. Is there something else? Please tell me you didn’t come into a championship fight with exactly one thing you’re demanding to work?

Both title contenders had all the heart in the world and none of the game plan adjustments necessary. Not taking anything away from BJ, he’s no doubt the best. But Sanchez had no help from his corner, and Florian didn’t either. It’s going to take all the heart in the world and a team of tacticians to get a win over BJ Penn. That should factor for the next challenger. Do I have the corner and the coaching to face this guy?

Well-Done. Thumb up 35 Thumb down 4

• 27jride says:

Guy- I agree to an extent about the cornering but honestly, a champion shouldn’t try for 4 rounds to take a guy down without success and not have a clue that it’s time to try something else. At the very top of the food chain are guys that are pure fighters and, while strategy tips that expose an opponent’s weakness or point out a defensive adjustment that should be made are certainly helpful, the cornering isn’t what’s making them champions….. they have fight in their blood and have an ability to adapt that makes them great.

Having a corner that encourages you to try for 5 rounds to repeat the same failed actions is absolutely doing nothing positive for a fighter but I’m not so sure even a GREAT corner man could make Sanchez or any other of the top contenders come up with anything for BJ.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 2

• neijia says:

Proper boxing dominates.

I think this one is so true and getting more true. We saw it with Anderson Silva vs. Griffin as if a pro boxer were toying with a grappler with “some striking”. If someone with Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather, Jr. level hands were in mma, fuggedaboutit. There is a lot of room for elite boxing to differentiate now that everyone is getting so incredibly well rounded – can’t just be great at one thing and brush up on striking or jiu jitsu or anti-takedowns.

BJ Penn

yup agree with all of you. Penn has cemented elite status just like A. Silva and GSP. we’ll need to wait for some currently unknown young talent to take over 155 just as Father Time eventually starts defeating Penn.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• shocbomb says:

I really really don’t want to see BJ move back up to WW devision or pursue another GSP fight . I myself want to See BJ stay at 155 and dominate for the forseable future. What I think needs to happen ito motivate BJ and keep him at 155 is after BJ gets done running threw bolth Frankie Edgar and then Gray Maynard and then maybe another Kenney Florian Fight and thats a maybe. If no new contender has emerged in the devision Zuffa needs to go outside the Org and over pay to pull a fighter out of Japan like a Aoki, Alvarez, Kawajiri , Gomi, JZ, etc I just don’t see any of those japanese fighters with FEG leaving Japan exsept maybe JZ for the UFC after there contract is up and Gomi possibly also. As for Eddie Alvarez he is tied down under Bellator also for some time now. I guess the only 2 options that arel eft is recycling old opponents like Florian or trying to Build up some other LW from witihin. I don’t see eahter doing to well though ?

• neijia says:

agree with you shocbomb. we need the 155 equivalent of a 22 year old Jon Jones to come along. those guys you named aren’t likely to beat Penn. otoh, Penn is something like 3-4 at welterweight (12-1-1 at lightweight) so there may be the odd welterweight matchup here and there for him – that’s what they have to do with Anderson Silva since who’s gonna beat him at middleweight? so give BJ a few matchups at ww. If he dominates … what the heck … maybe one more GSP match eventually

• Jak says:

“4. If John Fitch isn’t fighting Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, or GSP I don’t want to watch him fight on PPV. ”

I couldn’t agree more. That’s one of the best statements i’ve heard and am going to steal it and use it as my own idea on another forum… :)

1. B.J. Penn is clearly the best 155 ever

The problem with this statement is that Penn already was, it’s bitchy whiney internet people who have tried liked fire to knock him down. He does to fighters exactly what top WW Gsp did to him.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 2

• moosebaby02 says:

i just knew it.
    dont like penn but what can you say?
    fine i give props to diego for staying in there and keep coming forward but what the hell???? you had so much to say???
    its your belt, your just here to claim it.
    as soon as u step down to LW u knew u was the best?
    your just gonna dominate him????
    not trying to kick a man when he is down but wtf was that??? F-ing cartweel
    Ken Flow will beat him

Fitch on the main card and Belcher and Gouveia were out their throwing bombs like we all knew they were going to do. at least we got to see it. no matter how much they want to showcase Fitch cause he will eventually have to fight GSP I dont want to watch his road to the shot.

Im am not looking forward to hearing Mir’s mouth after that win.
    Great card

Penn at 155 is the shit. FUCK

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 9

• xtreme_machine says:

I agree with 4 because I too felt like Fitch almost got KOed and he needs to work on his striking.

As for Penn bring in Jose Aldo.

Jose Aldo said that he does not mind moving up or down.

Also Jose just like Penn are known for KOing people yet their strongest point is their ground work.

Let’s stir the pot and call for Jose Aldo vs Penn in 2010

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• Nick Havok says:

All this talk of ‘boxing dominates’ yet no one has mentioned Frank Mir yet.

He knocked Kongo halfway across the octogon with a single left!

…yet he gets no respect.

I thought he put on a very impressive performance though. I mean, WOW!

Well-Done. Thumb up 24 Thumb down 7

• Jak says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 7 Thumb down 22

• sides666 says:

i would love to see jose aldo make the jump to 155 and take on bj

• Makington says:

I think Florian/Sanchez would be a great, great fight that is easily hype-able enough to be a co-main event on a PPV or a main event on a Fight Night card, but what would you do with the winner?

They’re quite arguably both close enough in the top 5 rankings to give the winner a title sot, or put them a fight away from a title shot, but who would want to see them fight Penn again so soon after they both got dominated?

I knew Penn would win, but I thought atleast if Diego won, they could set him up against Florian for huge PPV. But at this point, that fight would put the winner right in line for a shot at BJ, but it’s too fresh in everyone’s mind to want to see them go at it again with him.

• submit662266 says:

Nick, I agree. Mir looked awesome!! HW has become very interesting in the last 6 months. I’m still on the dos Santos bandwagon, but the UFC can line up several great fights, having dos Santos, Mir, Brock (when he is healthy again. Hang in there Brock), Cain, and Carwin eventually all fight each other once or twice. Get to work Dana.

• submit662266 says:

Also, props to Diego to taking his defeat like a man. He was all class in giving BJ his earned respect. His comments showed all the reasons why I respect him and hope he can re-group and give it another go.

• neijia says:

Jak:
    Mir>Fedor….Yeah… i went there.

lol Arlovski had great crisp kickboxing but Fedor only needs to find the tiniest hole in someone’s defense. all the crisp striking against the Fedor KO or sub means nothing (24/31 or higher chance he will finish you…)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Agree on nearly everything David, although I think there will always be exceptions to any rule and we will be surprised at how well some brawlers will do in the future and like MMA BJJ and MMA wrestling MMA boxing will (does) differ from normal boxing.

As for BJ’s next opponent, it would be great for him to fight guys like Aoki, Sakurai, Hansen, Alverez, Thomson and Melendez etc wouldn’t it EVERYBODY?. But there is something in the way of that happening…what is it?. Oh well I’m sure they will invent somebody for us.

• Jak says:

neijia:

Clearly by all the “dislikes” people can’t read through the sarcasm… :)

• nate says:

frank mir impressed me, he came off as totally overlooking cheick kongo and mauled that man while barely breaking a sweat. he does need another win over a top opponent before im convinced he doesnt have keith jardine disease and he will be considered a true top contender. id like to see mir vs dos santos or mir vs cain at some point. i just wish brock will come back soon so he can help sort this mess out.

• neijia says:

lol Jak

• neijia says:

one more random comment/question. didn’t Freddie Roach say BJ Penn has the best boxing in ALL of mma? I wonder where Roach would rank Penn among boxers? that is, how big is the gap between mma-boxing and just boxing? where would Penn place in today’s ADCC and pro boxing?

• slammy862 says:

Off topic, but concerning:

What is wrong with the mma crowds?

They were booing from the first fight on last night.

Are they that drunk or just ignorant? They only seem to be entertained when a slug-fest breaks out..

Seems to me that an intelligant crowd would be full of fans who understand and appreciate the subtle side of the arts as well, including ground work and setting an opponent up.

This is a problem at every event(except in Japan). It reflexs poorly on mma and gives the entire sport a side show feel to it.

I had to get that off my chest.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

• Angry Mike says:

Not one of the top five thoughts involved Mir’s hugeness and destruction of Kongo? Seriously?

• Jak says:

slammy862: We need to get a smarter crowd to these events and stop feeding the ” it’s a barbaric blood lust sport,” sterotype.

That’s a really odd statement. If these people are so much “smarter” then why aren’t they at the shows in the first place to educate the people who actually go to the fights how they are not “real” mma fans in accordance with those who truly are.

Fans are fans. There isn’t a sport out there that doesn’t have the knee jerk fans who cheer and boo at the slightest things.

• qat says:

@Jak
    you’re right, every sport you are gonna watch live, there are always gonna be some complete and utter idiots, but they are paying fans, thats that.
    but i have to agree with slammy to a certain point, they booed sanchez for his continuous takedown attempts. but how can they not see that he tried his ass off? its just uncalled for, he tried his best, desperately.
    there are fights you can boo when guys are not trying, but in most events people are booing very fast even if the guys are giving everything there. you really get the feeling that some only want to see a kickboxing match without defense, and thats not mma.

• elkymbo says:

Favorite moment……the camera view right behind Buentello when he almost knocked Struve’s head off his shoulders all the boys nearly fell out of their seats for that one.
    And that cut on Diego’s forehead was fucked up!
    Hey Jak, what’s goin on champ.

• edub says:

Where BJ is concerned I would like to see him take a one off fight at 170 while the top challenger is figured out. Bringing in Mach Sakurai would be perfect for this because the fight could take place at a more comfortable weight for him, and BJ wouldn’t have to cut any weight. It would also take care of one of my own personal “what if” fights I have always thought about.

I really hope they make Sanchez – Florian. This is the perfect time for it.

Im with Nick in that if were talking about great boxing dominating then Mir’s name should definately be mentioned. Great movement and timing displayed in his scrap with Kongo.

• Pajamashark says:

Favorite moment: when Guida let out a huge bletch between rounds will getting his blood mopped off of him. That is a moment that is calling out for an animated gif.!!

• elkymbo says:

Pajamashark: Favorite moment: when Guida let out a huge bletch between rounds will getting his blood mopped off of him.

When he fought Diego Sanchez he was doing that every round. It’d be even more awesome if he lent over and let out a decent sized fart and cleared that half of the arena :)

• moosebaby02 says:

qat says:

there has to be a point when you consider your self as a champion that if its not working….AT ALL. then maybe as a champion you should change up you methods.
    “my take downs arent working but if i keep saying YES! YES! over and over in my head then it will work. I just know it”
    So plan “A” was to test out his stand up and that was a very very shot expeirment
    and plan “B” was to take him down and gnp him out.
    thats all????
    I would have booed him as well

• Makington says:

What would you have recommended Sanchez to try if you were in his corner moose? Not trying to flame you, but I honestly couldn’t see what Sanchez could have done to change the tide other than landing a one-hot KO (not against BJ).

I think Diego was even trying to pull guard at one point but BJ wasn’t giving him anything. I think BJ just outclassed him in nearly every aspect, and there was nothing Diego could do about it other than show ridiculous heart and determination not to give up after the first 4 round beating he took. You could see it in his eyes when he was coming out for the 5th that he knew he lost but he wasn’t going to be beat. You don’t see that type of heart in a lot of fighters, and I commend him for it.

• Makington says:

Step A: test out his stand up and that was a very very shot experiment.

Step B: take him down and gnp him out.

Step C: ??????

Step D: PROFIT

…..I had to do it, sorry moose :)

• moosebaby02 says:

and im the one who gave you the thumbs up buddy lol
    i hear ya Makington

i guess with all that talk and crap from him that i was expecting something more than trying the same crap over and over. how bout even trying to clinch or something other one failed taken down after another.
    fuck this sucks cause i dont see Penn getting beat by ANYONE in the 155 div

• Scott H. says:

• Nick Havok says:

Scott H.: To anyone who makes it down this far in the comments, my one random thought on this thread is:As long as Fitch is walking out to Johnny Cash, I want him on the man card. He can be as boring as he wants, as long as I get to hear a little JC.

Do you know how many Johnny Cash albums you could purchase for what it costs to order a UFC PPV?

…just saying.

• Nick Havok says:

Makington: Step A: test out his stand up and that was a very very shot experiment.Step B: take him down and gnp him out.Step C: ??????Step D: PROFIT…..I had to do it, sorry moose

You forgot step 5.

Go to hospital.

• Makington says:

Lol, well thank you moose. I read my paragraph, and I saw that the first sentence sounded like I was giving you crap so I tried to clarify it, but I honestly believe Diego could do nothing to win the fight. He would have had a better chance if the corner told him to try to fly to the moon and implemented that into the fight because he was having absolutely 0 success against BJ. I wish BJ wasn’t such a cocky d-bag though, cause then he’d basically be the coolest guy in the universe.

• qat says:

agree makington. diego tried but was outclassed. you cannot boo your 5 year old nephew because he cant drive a bicycle without support yet, at least not when he tries with all his heart but tumbles all the time. ;)

question: how much of diegos blood did penn lick of his fists?

• FightFan313 says:

I thought this was one of the best fight cards in UFC history. Hard fought 3 round battles mixed in with submissions and knock outs. MMA at its best.

• Guthookd says:

I have to agree with everyone who said Aldo vs. Penn. That is a match up right there. They are both so good in all positions. Aldo a little faster maybe? Penn a little stronger? The makings of fight of the night.

• Guthookd says:

I want to add one more thing. Penn looks unstoppable. Faber also looked unstoppable at one time. Chuck Liddell looked unstoppable at one time. Rich Franklin looked damn near unstoppable at one point. Same with Matt Hughes.

Every champ falls eventually. It is a matter of time. As long as BJ stays in the LW class they’ll find someone who can take him.