Josh Thomson: ‘I didn’t even watch the last fight’ with Gilbert Melendez

josh thomsonFellow Strikeforce lightweight champions Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez are far from strangers heading into this Saturday evening’s “Strikeforce: Evolution” card where the pair will face off for the second time to decide who the true king of the hill is in the promotion at 155 pounds.

Thomson edged out Melendez via unanimous decision in the first battle between the California based rivals in a bout that took place more than a year ago in June of 2008, but according to “The Punk”, he didn’t even bother to review his previous victory as he fully expects a new and improved “El Nino” on December 19 when the two slug it out live on Showtime.

“This is a completely different fight than the last fight,” explained Thomson during a recent media call. “I didn’t even watch the last fight. Gilbert, I think, is a different fighter. I think he’ll come in with a different mentality and a different mindset.

“I don’t want to look at the past. I have to be sure I bring it home again and I’m not really looking at the last fight as a measuring stick whatsoever. It’s going to be a different Gilbert and a different fight.”

No excuses. That’s how Thomson wants it, and honestly, that’s just the way it’s going to be this time around. While Josh has been forced to pull out of two bouts prior to this one due to a broken ankle and the rehabilitation process that followed, he’s ready to go in this one.

“I don’t want the media to make any excuses if I go out there and he beats me fair and square,” said Thomson. “I don’t want people thinking that he beat me because I had all this time off or ring rust or whatever. I’m telling you right now I’m 100 percent. I’m ready to fight and if he beats me it’s because he was the better fighter that night. There is nothing else to it.

“I want to make that clear to the media now and to everyone who talks to me and to all my friends even and even to the guy who comes up to me in an alleyway and says something to me. I’m 100 percent, I’m ready to fight and I’m ready to bring my title home. If he beats me it’s because he was the better fighter.”

• Makington says:

I like that attitude, but I hope he doesn’t decide to change it if he loses *cough* Tito *cough*

I’m ready for this fight to be an all out brawl. I know without a doubt that both guys will be coming to win, not just to not lose. I think it will be much closer this time, and if Josh is really 100% with no ring rust, then I’m giving the fight to him. It’s also possible that he might get tried a bit quicker or move a bit slower which would make it an easy night for Gilbert, I can’t wait.

• Nick Havok says:

I love the comments from Josh in this article. What else can I say?

• Bullylover says:

we’ll before i wasn’t really happy with thompson’s attitude but this article has changed my mindset on him a little bit. I’m still pulling for gilbert though.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’ve got one (comment). Just a personal thought though…

Who gives a shit? @ 155, niether one of these guys could touch BJ. Boo if you will, but honestly…..

• Makington says:

As hard as it can be to believe, there are other fighters than BJ fighting at 155. Even harder to believe is that they put on great fights too, and this on is no exception. It’s not the UFC Lightweight title, but I’d be pretty damn proud to beat either Gilbert or Josh in front of thousands of people.

I guess you’ll be skipping Maynard/Diaz too? Dana should already give them FotN bonuses because it will be one of the best, even though both fighters would lose to BJ.

• GassedOut says:

I think the fight is the fight, and it’s an entity unto itself. It can’t be compared to fights with say, BJ Penn. Penn is in a league all his own (and he showed it the other night). Fights are made for entertainment value primarily (that’s what attracts viewers, and thus dollars). These two guys are going to put on a hell of a show, and an enjoyable fight. Regardless of whether they will ever even fight BJ Penn. Who gives a shit? I do, and if you’re a fight fan you will too.

It’s going to be an awesome fight!

• keyboardwarrior says:

can’t wait for this one!