First Step To Recovery: B.J. Penn admits blood licking problem

bj penn“Hello, my name is B.J. Penn and I am a recovering Nosferatu.”

It’s hard to pin-point exactly where it started, but UFC lightweight king B.J. Penn has had a blood lust comparable to Vlad the Impaler dating back to his first bout with Matt Hughes.

What appeared to be a “good game” kiss following Penn’s first round submission of the defending welterweight champion way back in January of 2004 was further revealed to be nothing more than a sampling of human bean juice for the dominant champion from Hilo. Since that bout Penn can be seen tasting the blood of his victims following beatdowns of Joe Stevenson, Sean Sherk, and most recently, Diego Sanchez.

According to Penn in a recent interview with the Hawaii Tribune-Herald, he was actually encouraged to drink Diego’s blood in his last bout.

“(Boxing trainer) Jason Parillo said, ‘Go out there. I want you to be the crazy blood licker. I want you to kill this guy,'” said Penn.

Of course, the first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem in the first place. B.J. seems to be on his way.

“I gotta stop doing that,” said Penn. “You get so crazy when you’re in there, you just don’t know what you’re doing sometimes.”

• danw84 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 48

• keyboardwarrior says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 29

• redwire says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 33

• Guthookd says:

OK, I’m glad someone else noticed that. Doesn’t bother me, but it is really gross….but he can’t stop now…..it’s his trade mark blood tasting ritual. :)

Well-Done. Thumb up 33 Thumb down 11

• moosebaby02 says:

and i thought the yes cartweel was weird.
    to each his own i guess

Well-Done. Thumb up 31 Thumb down 13

• Angry Mike says:

Ever notice how many of his opponents wind up covered in blood? Sure, he’s a great striker, but lots of other great strikers don’t cause that type of damage. You can get ko’d without bleeding too much. BJ doesn’t throw a lot of elbows, and certainly not in a gnp situation, so it’s not what I would expect. Maybe it’s because he throws more jabs, but I’m not sure of that, either.

Well-Done. Thumb up 36 Thumb down 2

• nate says:

i love the blood licking. but i think he can do better. maybe take his fight shorts off and wring the blood out into his mouth. thatd be pretty awesomely offensive. if you have a weak stomach dont watch fighting. lol.

Well-Done. Thumb up 35 Thumb down 20

• xtreme_machine says:

I do not mind as long as he keeps destroying guys like he did to Sanchez

that was a badass performance

Well-Done. Thumb up 44 Thumb down 4

• Makington says:

Nice Watchmen reference!

But it’s never bothered me, although I always thought it was kid of weird. It’s his thing so I won’t really say anything, and it does come off pretty badass, but definitely strange.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 5

• rage says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 25

• king mah mah says:

The blood licking has become somewhat of a trademark for BJ. Keep on licking that blood son! I love it!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 11

• Unabomberman says:

danw84: Uhhh…

For lack of a better word.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 13

• danw84 says:

rage: going completly of subject here….does any1 know why logan and natasha were fired from the ufc??

Logan got fired? When? That sucks. I met her in Portland and she was a really nice girl. We were staying on the same floor and I gave her a beer when my buddy and I ran into her and some other people in the hall.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 14

• Unabomberman says:

danw84:

Apparently Logan’s contract ran out, and Natasha got the axe.

Crap, I was getting used to Natasha, and Logan was just filling up nicely; now they are thinking on bringing a playboy model, and settling for just two ring girls.

For the time being, all we’ve got is the matron.

That blows.

• danw84 says:

Booo, bring back Logan.

Is Natasha the blonde one? Cuz if so, while we were there she was banging Ryan Bader, who’s room was about 5 doors down from mine.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 9

• submit662266 says:

Wow!! I tried to imagine beating another person sense-less and then licking their blood: I’m pretty sure I caught a blood-born disease. :(

BJ, ask a doctor about blood-born diseases. It is horrific stuff.

Stick with slapping yourself mercilessly after beating your opponent. This also looks psychotic, and you cannot catch a disease. I’m pretty sure the compu-strike tally determined that BJ hit himself more times than Diego did!

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 3

• FightFan313 says:

submit662266: I’m pretty sure the compu-strike tally determined that BJ hit himself more times than Diego did!

lol! Ya, I ‘ve never thought that to be normal behavior. I always got grossed out. Please stop that BJ.. please.

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 7 Thumb down 18

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 17

• elkymbo says:

Mah mah you’re one sick puppy, but you know what they say when the river runs red use the dirt track instead.

• fraz says:

king mah mah: Stick a used tampon in his mouth, see if he enjoys that. LOL

You seem like just the man to supply one.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 4

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 13

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 3 Thumb down 13

• Angry Mike says:

Boy did this thread take a strange left turn.

• king mah mah says:

My mind is way too dirty to post normally on an article like this!

Stop it! It’s all 5oz’s fault! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

• king mah mah says:

I’m here for shock value. People are too scared to say what i say.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 11

• king mah mah says:

Thumbs Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 11

• king mah mah says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 3

• danw84 says:

I’ve been thumbing you up mah. I like your style.

Now as for the 33 people who thumbed down my “Uhhh…” well THUMBS DOWN TO YOUR THUMBS DOWN

• Nick Havok says:

king mah mah: I want the record for thumbs down! Don’t disapoint me!!!!! Atleast 100 thumbs down! DO IT!!!!!!!!

I don’t think you can beat my record.

In the last ‘Brock is Getting Better’ article, I had well over 200 combined thumbs downs.

But to get back on topic…maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see BJ licking blood off his gloves as a big deal. It doesn’t bother me in the least.

Actually, I think it’s kinda cool.

…he could lose weakly slapping himself in the face though. That just looks retarded.

• 3OAM says:

I don’t mind the blood-licking. These dudes are tested for all kinds of diseases beforehand and its not like he’s drinking it by the gallon.

He’s just tasting the most palpable form of his victories. Bathory.J. Penn FTW.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Everyone enjoys a good drink of freshly squeezed blood mixed with sweat, other peoples spit, deep heat, and grease don’t they?.
    BJ you are one sick puppy.