Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time! It has been an extraordinary year of ups and down for all of those involved in the rapidly growing world of mixed martial arts, but all things must come to an end, and it’s time for FiveOuncesofPain.com to dish out our official year end awards for the crazy year that was 2009.
We’ll be diving headfirst into a series of fifteen end of the year awards, with a new award being distributed every single day through December 31 with a special two part New Years Eve year-end award extravaganza…. bonanza.
In this edition we have FiveOuncesofPain’s top five female fighters of 2009:
1. Cris Cyborg Santos – She is the winner of the biggest fight on the biggest stage. Santo’s has rattled off 8 straight vicotries on her way to the first ever STRIKEFORCE women’s 145 belt. On sheer exposure for female MMA captured alone, Santo’s gets the nod as Womens fighter of the year.
2. Megumi Fujii – at 19-0 with 3 wins in 2009, Fujii is possibly the best women’s fighter you have never heard of. You fight this 115 lb monster and chances are you will lose an arm with 11 victories of her 19 coming via armbar.
3. Miku Matsumoto – Adding 3 top notch victories to her record in 2009, and now riding a 12 fight win streak. Deep’s “Supernova” appears all but unstoppable. With an impressive win over Lisa Ward ( the last woman to defeat her) Matsumoto had one of the best years in women’s MMA.
4. Sarah Kaufmann – With wins over Meisha Tate, Shayna Baszler, and Sara Schneider, Kaufmann remains unbeaten at 10-0 and certainly qualifies as a top female fighter of 2009. Quality wins over tough competition are a premium for the ladies, and no one can argue Kaufmann had a big year.
5. Tara Larosa – It’s hard to make a list, any list, regarding women’s MMA and not mention Tara Larosa. The sometimes outspoken, and always dangerous Larosa had another big year, adding 3 wins to her overall record of 18-1.