Melvin Manhoef vs. Kazuo Misaki set for “Dynamite!! 2009″

melvin manhoefFeared Dutch Knockout specialist Melvin Manhoef is all set to do battle with none other than the “Grabaka Hitman” Kazuo Misaki at the year end DREAM and Sengoku promoted event, “Dynamite!! 2009“.

FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently received confirmation of the match-up through sources close to one of the fighters.

“Dynamite!! 2009″ will be taking place on New Years Eve, December 31, from the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, with the live broadcast being televised stateside on HDNet.

Widely considered to be the most ferocious knockout artist in the sport with 22 of his 23 victories coming by way of devastating KO or TKO, Manhoef recently signed with Strikeforce and made his intentions to face off with fellow power puncher Robbie Lawler quite clear. Melvin has gone 6-2 in his last eight bouts, with recent knockouts over Kazushi Sakuraba and Mark Hunt to his credit. A veteran of the K-1 organization, “No Mercy” trains alongside Badr Hari and others out of Mike’s Gym in Holland.

Long regarded as one of the best middleweights in the business, Misaki will be returning to the ring following a suspension due to legal troubles stemming from an incident where the popular Japanese fighter attempted to flee from the police after being caught talking on the cell phone while driving. The suspension was recently lifted during a SRC commission meeting at the world Victory Road headquarters, clearing the way for the former PRIDE welterweight GP winner’s participation on New Years Eve. Misaki has notched impressive victories over the likes of Ed Herman, Phil Baroni, Joe Riggs , and most notably, Dan Henderson during the course of his career.

• Makington says:

A good fight, although I would much rather see him fighting in America against Robbie Lawler. I’m always excited to see Melvin fight, but against Robbie Lawler you would have an absolute guarantee that someone face will hurt for a month.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 1

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I would expect Misaki to be too cleaver here but ya never can tell. Lawler Manoef is bound to happen because it is nearly mentioned every time Manoef’s name is and SF has mentioned it also. I know it is a long shot but I would like to see how Silva would handle Manoef. How good is Silva’s shot because out of any MW in the division I think this dude is somebody Silva may want on the ground. That is why Belfort Vs Silva would be very interesting. I mean honestly out of Lutter, Leites, Leben, Irwin and Cote would you really expect any of them to beat Vitor?.

• mu_shin says:

Haven’t seen Misaki fight, but I saw Manhoef, who is admittedly a beast on his feet and a true knockout artist, get handled easily by Paulo Filho on the ground in about two minutes of the first round.

Read Misaki’s record, which shows a lot of fights and a lot of submission wins, along with quite a few decision wins, so if he has the savvy to avoid trading standup bombs with a killer kickboxer, he will have a good chance against Manhoef. I know a lot of fans like power strikers like Melvin, but until he develops a well rounded game, he’ll always be one dimensional, as strong as that dimension is, and will be vulnerable to losses by submission. Being the first with the most is a great standup strategy, until you meet an opponent who eludes that initial attack…

• GassedOut says:

I’m always excited to see Melvin fight. I mean you know he’s got to be tough with a first name like Melvin. I was friends with a kid named Melvin. Wow, he got picked on. So he took Jiu-jitsu and we all learned to call him Mel.

In all seriousness, Manhoef is the real deal. I’ve not seen any ground game from him, but it doesn’t mean he hasn’t got one. People seem to forget that Chuck Liddell was a Division I wrestler. He just uses his in reverse, to keep the fight standing. Maybe Manhoef is the same way.

• Nick Havok says:

I can’t wait to see Melvin do battle. Be it K-1 or MMA the guy is flat out exciting to watch.

Nice that they are matching him up with Misaki too. I have always liked to respectfully cheer against him. I don’t know why…but ever since the Akiyama fight I just haven’t been a big fan. Kinda like being a die-hard Chiefs fan and having to go against John Elway all the time. It’s like you respect him because of his skill…but you want to beat him!

I think what turned me off with Misaki is when he was fighting Akiyama he kept on doing that stupid little hop…over and over. Like he was standing on something hot. Not only was that annoying but then he illegally kicks Akiyama in the face and then proceeds to publicly lecture him on ethics and morals and how he let the kids down and all this crap.

How fitting that he later gets nailed for assaulting and running away from police. To me that seems a lot worse than greasing up before a fight.

So here is to hoping Melvin removes Misaki’s head from his neck.

Think SF made a good move picking this guy up… unfortunately for Lawler not so good.

• Guthookd says:

Now that Strikeforce has them both, I wonder what the chances are for a rematch with Henderson.

• Nick Havok says:

You can also add to the night’s festivities…

Aoki vs. Hirota

Kawajiri vs. Yokota

This card is lookin’ good! :)

• Bad Monkey says:

Regardless of all the b.s., ‘The Grabaka Hitman’ is a f**king awesome nickname.

• Angry Mike says:

@GassedOut:

Melvin is “Mr. West Coast Offense”. Nothing on the ground whatsoever. Anybody who has a submissions game finishes him very quickly. As long as the fight stays up, there will plenty of fireworks.

• Misaki better get this one to the ground quick! Pretty obvious outcom here, either Melvin by KO or Misaki via sub, no other outcome is possible lol.

• […] As was first reported by FiveOuncesofPain.com five days ago, the bout between Melvin Manhoef and the “Grabaka Hitman”, Kazuo Misaki at the year end DREAM and Sengoku promoted event, “Dynamite!! 2009” has now also been confirmed through event officials. […]

• […] bout which was first reported by FiveOuncesofPain.com, took place from the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan as part of the New Years Eve […]