Kevin Burns, Shane Nelson, Edgar Garcia & Darrill Schoonover cut by UFC

Edgar Garcia

Edgar Garcia

Four fighters fave been released from their contractual obligations to the UFC following mutual losses in the month of December.

Kevin Burns, Edgar Garcia, Shane Nelson and Darrill Schoonover have all been let go by the promotion according to a recent report from our friends at MMASurvival.com.

Burns was on a three fight losing skid inside of the Octagon with consecutive losses at the hands of Anthony Johnson, Chris Lytle and T.J. Grant after earning a submission victory over BJJ black belt Roan Carneiro and an eye poke TKO over Johnson in his first two bouts with the UFC.

Nelson is coming off of a pair of unanimous decision defeats at the hands of Aaron Riley and Matt Wiman after previously toppling Riley and George Roop in the UFC after his stint on the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

The heavy handed Garcia entered the UFC undefeated and is leaving with two losses on his record at the hands of Brad Blackburn and DaMarques Johnson during action packed bouts.

Schoonover was released following his recent TUF 10 Finale TKO loss to James McSweeney, and while he had suffered an unofficial knockout defeat at the oversized hands of Marcus Jones, Darrill entered the house with an unblemished record of 10-0.

• hindsightufuk says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 8 Thumb down 27

• thunder okami says:

Burns showed to be a good up and comer from standing up with Anthony Johnson and Chris Lytle, i really think he should have gotten another chance. As for the rest, Shane needs to go to WEC, and Schoon needs to go to 205, hoping he returns from active duty healthy and in one piece.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 5

• Jak says:

Exciting fighters, but losses are losses. It’s a good time to be cut since SF, Bellator, DREAM and WEC are all looking to strengthen their line ups.

This is why i hate that the WEC folded their higher divisions. Sure the fighters weren’t as good, but the fights were exciting and certainly Burns and Garcia would have added to that.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 14

• Jak says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 33

• MCM says:

I like Kevin Burns too and I think he’ll be back after a couple wins outside the UFC. If not, he’ll do well in one of the other orgs.
    Schoonover should get back down to 205 during his tour of duty and I think will get invited back when he comes home. He’s a good fighter and was always willing to step up, and Dana likes that.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 8

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 7 Thumb down 17

• Makington says:

Burns and Garcia are definitely good fighters. Both well rounded brawlers but 2 losses in the UFC for guys to don’t have much hype behind them doesn’t leave much to debate. I personally thought Garcia won his first fight but those are the judges and he should have finished. I do believe though that both fighters have the skills and time to get back into the UFC. As for Nelson and Schoonover, I think their time with Dana is done.

You’d think the other losing fighters like Justin Wren and Marcus Jones would also be cut but it is what it is I guess. I would actually prefer to see Wilson Gouveia get cut with how lazy he is rather than a guy like Kevin Burns who brings good fights and trains hard.

• dpk says:

No big surprises. Burns and Garcia should try to get into the Bellator 170 tourney. Both would be contenders Nelson should try to cut to 145, and make a run in WEC, he has looked small compared to most guys at 155.

Schoonover should either cut to LHW, or spend his year putting on muscle and toning up. I’m sure he will be 1 or 2 fights away from a UFC contract when he gets back off active duty. I also read that Marcus Jones retired after his loss at the TUF 10 finale. I think Justin Wren gets one more shot, probably at someone like Chase Gromley or newcomer to UFC, because he is so young, and his loss on the show, and the finale were both very close fights.

• dpk says:

• Nick Havok says:

Every single last one of these guys is going to get the opprtunity to fight again outside of the UFC…if they so choose.

If they are indeed good, their talent will come through and these guys will rise back to the top again.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mac Danzig has 3 losses in a row why dont they drop that guy?

• Nick Havok says:

fanoftna33: Mac Danzig has 3 losses in a row why dont they drop that guy?

I’m guessing it’s because he won ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and there is still some marketing value left in that title.

Otherwise he would heve been gone a loss ago.

• That sucks about Kevin Burns, I really like his style. Shane really needs to go down to 145 and that would still be obvious even if Joe Rogan didnt mention it in all of his fights. As far as Garcia goes, that sucks terribly but that’s the breaks and Im sure he’ll be back after gettin a little more experience under his belt. As for our boy Darril “Titties” Schoonover, we’ll see when he comes back from active duty….he gained alot of weight after the show ended and looked terrible at the finale. I think he’ll be a solid heavyweight after his return and might even get another shot but who knows.
    Good luck to all these guys

Schoonover is active duty so i don’t think it affected him all that much… good luck to him and god speed, he’s doing a more important job right now any way, God knows I wouldn’t want to be going overseas into a combat zone.

• Angry Mike says:

Cutting Schoonover makes sense because he redeployed. He should cut some weight, though. If he was lighter, he might be quicker, and he’d still have heavy hands.

• Nick Havok says:

Props to Darrel Schoonover for serving in the military and putting his life on the line for our freedoms here in America.

UFC or not…he is a hero in my book.

• felrod says:

• edub says:

felrod: Daryl Schoonover concerns me…He went from an Iraq vet riding a ten fight win streak to a dude twice ktfo on basic cable TV best known as “Titties”.How long before someone recognizes him, calls him titties to his face and promptly gets skull fucked by a raging schoon for their troubles?

I have actually thought about this if I end up seeing him when I reactivate. Seeing him and accidentally calling him titties because that’s the name I’ve heard him called the most on the show. That would just be horrible.

• felrod says:

Edub: It will happen, I just hope that Schoon isn’t sauced when it does and he doesn’t kill the guy.

Rampage is a short sighted imbecile. Typical insecure bully behavior with no foresight. I want to give schoon the benefit of the doubt but you can’t hope for common sense in someone with satan cutting of a baby head tattoos.