Melvin Manhoef: I don’t do the ground game

What appeared to be a somewhat Melvin Manhoef recently sat down to speak about his New Year Eve showdown with Kazuo Misaki.

The pair will face off during the DREAM/Sengoku/K-1 promoted New Years event, “Dynamite!! 2009” on December 31, which will air live on HDNet.

Manhoef revealed that he hasn’t had many chances to brush up on his ground game going into this bout with Misaki. Check out the video below.

• rage says:

im glad..i dont want to see melvin on the ground i want 2 c him stand and bang

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 11

I said it the other day- When he joins SF and comes state side to train he will get some ground experiance he just needs to align himself with the right camp/ gym, If a fighter is willing to evolve there will always be a training camp out there that they can put in the work at and hopefully come away with some skills… any word on his plans for training when he comes to SF?

• rage says:

im not to sure man i think AKA could be a possiblity seeing as crarzy bob cook is an advisor for sf and is based at AKA

• felrod says:

if he doesn’t train ground then hat explains why he reeks of prison bitch every time e gets taken down.

I love watching No mercy kill but it sucks to know he is done for the minute they hit the floor

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 3

• Makington says:

That’s exactly what Akiyama did to him Felrod. It’s a shame to see such a prodigious striker bring his skill set down on something which is so easy. Like, if he really wanted to train the ground he could find a way. When I started doing jiu-jitsu I did it in my basement with my brothers for hours. We would get a video or go on youtube(not out then but it is now) or something, and just sit there and copy everything we saw until we did it right. It was pretty amateur but we actually did learn a lot with each other, a lot more then if we did nothing.

I think he talked about training at ATT one time in America and he said how great their help was with his ground game, so maybe he should pair up with them when he comes stateside. If they can get Kimbo to execute a perfect back suplex they can get him atleast doing something.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• felrod says:

Makington: All four of his losses have come by submission and all 4 of them have involved him leaving an arm exposed for attack.

Its really sad because if he at least had basic sub defense to go with his almost unfair striking he would be something scary…ER.

I’m not saying he should learn how to land a reverse flying triangle or anything crazy like that, No Mercy just needs to keep improving his sprawl, learn to not leave his arms out to quite possibly enter P4P conversations.

• Makington says:

Well said sir. If his ground game was even half of his striking I’d start having nightmares.

• submit662266 says:

I agree with Mark and Fel. However, it rubbed me the wrong way that this guy comes out and brags about having no ground game. He sounds like a complete ignoramus!!!

We all know that fighters today need to defend submissions, be able to escape if they are on the bottom, and sprawl when the other guy shoots. Even better if they can win by striking AND submission: it is much tougher for an opponent to prepare for and gives them less places to hide.

• JabCrossHook says:

Obviously you don’t do the ground game, silly Melvin, that’s why Mousasi submitted you.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Boooo. To be good you need some sort of ground game. I hope he is just joking and has trained very hard at it. it didn’t seem like he was joking though, so I think the joke might be on him come the fight on new years.

• felrod says:

mma-logic, he is not joking. Manhoef is a dutch fighter; Holland is heavily into Muay Thai and Kickboxing (The dutch have long had dominance over K-1 rankings), with 2 of the most vaunted stand-up gyms in the world: Mike’s and Golden Glory.

I’m writing all this to explain that it is not Melvin boasting of no ground, he isjust product of his cuntry’s fighting culture.

BTW: Antoni Hardonk, Stefan Stuvre, Megareem (who excels in both mma an k-1) And one Sebastian Rutten are all dutch and are considered fairly competent ground technicians so I am not generalizing about the Dutch. I’m just saying that there are way more Semmy Schilts. Ernesto Roosts, Melvin Manhoef and Badr Hari’s then there are are of the latter group.

• Nick Havok says:

Why would Melvin say these things?

• felrod says:

Nick Havok: Why would Melvin say these things?Now everyone and there brother is going to try and take him down. Even the guys who suck on the ground would probably stand a good chance of defeating Manhoef there. Because at the very least, I bet they have mat’s available to train ground on!…not to mention you wouldn’t want to stand with a guy who has a 96% knockout percentage anyway.

He could be 10 times better on the ground than his opponent and if I were them I still wouldn’t want any part of his stand up.