Spencer Fisher burning to fight “Fireball Kid”, Takanori Gomi

spencerfisherWhen it was announced last weekend that former Shooto and PRIDE Champion Takanori Gomi had signed with the UFC rumors began swirling in regards to who he might debut against in the organization. Though the first name to surface as an opponent was Ken Florian, it appears as though Gomi’s presence in the company has at least one other fighter jazzed at the idea of meeting the Japanese striker at the center of the Octagon.

Spencer Fisher recently took his interest in facing Gomi to The Underground:

“Since I’ve started MMA Gomi is one of the guys I looked up to and copied some of my style from him…I’ve always talked about guys diving for my shoelaces and the script might be flipped this time! (laughs) But of all the fights in the world that one excites me the most. I would have to be in tip top shape to fight someone of his caliber.

I won’t b**** or belly ache about anyone that they put in there with me cause everyone that steps into that cage deserves it. It’s just that the Gomi fight scares the s*** out of me and I fight harder when I’m scared.

Again, I’m not being disrespectful. Dana has always told us to say who we want to fight next and I thought that this was a good place as any. I would have to be in the best shape of my life. Not like I was in my last fight. I neglected a lot of my training for the last one, and for whatever reasons it was my own fault. This fight scares me and I will find better guys to train with. That’s why I have to leave to find better place to train. I am the best stand up guy around these parts and you don’t get better training with guys that you are better than. I just think as a fan I would be the best opponent (for Gomi) and I have a chin!”

Fisher is 23-5 as a professional and looking to bounce back from a second-round submission loss to Joe Stevenson at UFC 104. He has nineteen finishes in his career, as well as eight wins in the Octagon over a list of names including Caol Uno, Thiago Alves, and Josh Neer.

• Johnnybigone says:

I would be perfectly happy with this being Gomi’s first fight in the UFC. Maybe even a little bit excited.

Well-Done. Thumb up 29 Thumb down 1

• frizzle says:

Spencer has been one of my favorite fighters for years. Would love to see King & Fireball rumble

Well-Done. Thumb up 25 Thumb down 1

• Bad Monkey says:

I’ll jump on the bandwagon. I would also love to see that fight. Spencer is a tough fight for anyone at 155 and watching him and Gomi duke it out on the feet has big FOTN potential.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 1

• David Andrest says:

Viva the KING!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 4

• Makington says:

This fight would be pure fireworks, and it might even make for the best fight they could put Gomi in. I like the kind of respect that Spencer shows for him but when you look at it objectively I think Gomi deserves someone higher in the rankings. The KenFlo fight sounds like the one it will end up being, although I think this one would be better. Maybe if Gomi lost to Florian they could fight, and maybe Joe Silva will put this fight together anyways, but I think the most sense is to throw him in with a contender.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 3

• Niv says:

Should be a great fight and not a bad way to make your first fight in the UFC.

I personally would prefer to see him against Florian because if he shows up focused and beats KenFlo then there really would be no reason not to have Gomi face BJ next.

• fanoftna33 says:

While this fight sounds great the truth is that almost anybody the ufc matches up with Gomi is going to be really exciting because they are fighting Gomi, not because of who Gomi is fighting. I think a lot of fighters are going to be stating how badly they want to be the first fight for Gomi simply because of what a win over him could mean for thier careers.

• edub says:

Makington: I like the kind of respect that Spencer shows for him but when you look at it objectively I think Gomi deserves someone higher in the rankings

Why in the world does Gomi deserve a contender to fight against? Aoki would deserve a contender to fight against. Same thing for Hansen, Alvarez, Kawajiri, Thompson, or Melendez if they came to the UFC. This isn’t 2005. The last person Gomi beat that was top ten is Mitsuhiro Ishida, and that was three years ago. He’s 3-2 since then with a (gogo loss) NC to Nick Diaz.
    Gomi does not deserve a contender.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 4

• Makington says:

As it is though edub they aren’t talking about Gomi the guy who isn’t the same fighter he used to be who hasn’t done much since his Pride days. They haven’t mentioned any holes in his cardio or the fact that he got demolished by BJ Penn. What the UFC is doing is saying that they have the last best LW ever to fight in Pride, with one of the most impressive resumes in MMA. They are saying he is one of the all time great fighters of MMA and is a new threat BJ has to worry about.

Not only are they hyping him this way to help increase the UFC’s lackluster fanbase in Japan, there is the chance that returns to form (unlikely) and beats a big name. They have only just started the hype train behind this guy but I know they aren’t just introducing this guy as ‘In the red corner……..Takanori Gomi!’ No, they are going to hype him enough so that he has tons of fans who haven’t ever seen him fight. It wouldn’t be a good financial move imo to throw him against the always dangerous but increasingly irrelevant Spencer Fisher.

Like I said, I like this match up, and it makes more sense to most people who post on this site, but I don’t see the benefit of hyping him the way they do to throw him against anyone who isn’t a contender.

Wanderlei came in and fought Chuck, Shogun came in and fought Forrest. Rampage was basically given his Chuck fight after Eastman, and Anderson after Leben.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Is he fighting Florian or not? I am hyped for Gomi vs Florian.
    Perhaps you are right edub but Florian vs Gomi is exciting for me. I also think Gomi has a very very good chance to win.

• paddiosf says:

I agree with all of the previous comments, Gomi is 3-2 and hasnt looked that great as he once was
    in his Pride days..Spencer or Huerta would be a good matchup not Florian who is 2 or 3 in the pecking order to get a shot at BJ again..

• FightFan313 says:

I love it! Gomi needs to start off slow in the UFC. Spender is the perfect guy to match Gomi with. Spencer is a very good striker and tough as nails. just like Gomi. I am WAY more pumped to see this fight over Florian vs Gomi. Don’t feed him to the Wolves and crush his hopes of ever getting a title shot right from the get go. If Gomi can run through Spencer then I think the UFC should give him Sanchez then a Huerta or Florian.

This would be a really fun fight to watch. I don’t think Gomi will run through Spencer and to say it out loud I think Spencer has what it take to beat Gomi but it could go either way.

Please Joe Silva make it so :D

• WarCry says:

Gomi will get smashed in the Ufc. He is highly overrated. He may not get a win in his stint in the UFC. Spencer should get the shot he is one of the gatekeepers after all.

• hindsightufuk says:

funny enough Spencer was the first person i thought of when they sighned Gomi

Think this sounds good… both fighters can gain something with a win.

• PlagueAngel says:

I don’t see Gomi beating anyone at Florians caliber at this time. Look at how much Florian has improved in his technical boxing since the Penn fight. They should just give Florian the rematch with Diego and give Fisher the fight against Gomi. Everyone wins!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah warcry wins over Sakurai, Kawijiri, Ludwig, Pulver and Gracie etc a record of 30+ wins and only having 3 unavenged losses means your overrated for sure. Next they will claim he was the champion of Pride or something.

• sexy-yama says:

As much as I love gomi, even if by sum chance he did beat kenflo, i would wanna see him fight another contender just to see if it was a fluke and so he could get more octagon time not just throw him to BJ

• mohawk009 says:

Gomi needs 2 wins against top quality opponents before a title shot. One of them has to be in the top 5 at least. If he can do that then he doesn’t deserve the shot. I don’t wanna see another penn vs sanchez one sided fight. I wanna see someone challenge penn, if that can be done at 155 that is.

• sexy-yama says:

edub:
    Gomi does not deserve a contender.

Its not really up to the fans to decide who is or isn’t worthy to fight a contender, brock lesnar had 1 fight and wanted to go fight a contender and many other cases of guys getting a chance to fight a contender to prove themselves, atleast if he does fight a contender and looses badly then we truly know his contender days are slim if not none