Hermes Franca retires from MMA

HermesUFC veteran and former WEC lightweight champion Hermes Franca has officially stepped away from mixed martial arts.

The announcement comes after the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt was TKO’d last evening by Eric Wisely during Max Fights DM Ballroom Brawl IV in Des Moines, Iowa.

“The fans gave me the passion and strength that kept me competing at the Championship levels for all these years,” said Franca. “Without them, I couldn’t have done it. I owe it all to the fans.”

Hermes will be retiring with a career record of 19-8 in mixed martial arts with notable victories over the likes of Mike Brown, Caol Uno, Jamie Varner, Nathan Diaz, Spencer Fisher and Marcus Aurelio.

• Dufresne says:

Didn’t see that coming.

He’s got a lot of talent, hopefully he’ll use that to teach the next generation some of the things he used to make himself successful.

Well-Done. Thumb up 30 Thumb down 1

• saerbarnet says:

I’m guessing he can make as much money teaching BJJ as he did fighting so he won’t suffer.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 2

• This kinda sucks….While I never saw Hermes as a real title contender or top LW, he consistently gives us good fights and always makes it entertaining. Freshest in my mind is the exchange between him and Griffin where he had Tyson’s leg in the air while They swung at each other. Well good luck Hermes if you ever come back I’ll be watching your fights!

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

• Makington says:

He had great jiu jitsu, and was an overall very good fighter. The only thing about him is it was obvious he lacked the motivation to train at the highest level. It was ok on smaller shows but that was what got him cut by the UFC.

I agree with the rest, putting himself as a trainer for the new generation of fighters coming out is the best and most obvious move he can make.

• Sans_Peur says:

I agree with you guys – he’s got a lot to teach the next generation of fighters. I just hope that he skips the lesson on how to use steroids…

• Bivins says:

He will fight again

• hindsightufuk says:

always loved watching Hermes fight, guy was super talented, highly entertaining

my favorite mma hairdo was that purpleish bleached white afro puff he had going

• Rich S. says:

Ah what a shame!

Hermes is a long time favorite of mine, I always find myself rooting for him..

I figured he was sick during the Griffin fight, he just didn’t look like himself.. But, now he got TKO’d to a complete no-name in a small organization? Maybe he’s losing it..

Lately he’s found that he can’t control a fight anymore..
    Although he is the epitome of “It’s not over til it’s over”, with his explosive hail mary jiu jitsu and his concrete hands, recent dominations suffered at the hands of Sherk, Edgar, and Griffin prove that he just can’t hang with the Lightweight elite in the UFC..

And apparently a loss to this Wisely guy has discouraged him from giving any other major promotions like WEC or Strikeforce a try..

• MCM says:

Damn. Franca was always a fan/personal favorite. I always thought he was cut too early from the UFC. Sure, he wasn’t winning them all, but he always put on entertaining fights. Just like Lytle, he was one of those guys people would tune into just for the fun of seeing them fight. Best of luck to him outside of competing.