Exclusive: Sean Sherk vs. Clay Guida scratched from UFC on Versus

A previously rumored lightweight showdown between former 155 pound champion Sean Sherk and Clay Guida has recently been abandoned.

FiveOuncesofPain.com was recently made aware of the scrapping of the match-up through sources close to the situation.

The pair had previously been expected to slug it out during UFC on Versus, which is expected to take place from Broomfield, Colorado on March 21.

Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we continue to keep you up to date on the still emerging details behind this breaking news.

Sherk has gone 1-2 in his last three bouts, dropping his most recent outing at the hands of Frankie Edgar via unanimous decision during UFC 98, while Guida has suffered defeats in his last two at the hands of Diego Sanchez and Kenny Florian.

Its ok this card is coming together nicely even with out this fight…

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 6

• Dufresne says:

Yeah, but I was really looking forward to this fight.

Guida is a perfect opponent for Sherk. They’re both strong wrestlers with insane cardio and this would have been the fight to either put Sherk on a come back path or to push Guida into the talks as a serious 155 with potential for a title run in the future.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 15

• Jstew3785 says:

WTF is Sherk ever going to fight again?

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 3

• mcvojp01 says:

Guida potential title run????????????????LOL R U Kidding Me

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 8

• Dufresne says:

mcvojp01: Guida potential title run????????????????LOL R U Kidding Me

IN THE FUTURE.
    He’s 28 years old with good wrestling and great cardio. If he can get his standup in order he could develop into a beast. His pace alone is enough to stop all but the top tier of the most stacked LW division in MMA. I’m not saying he’s gonna be there this year, but he’s got the potential to cause major waves in the near future.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 20

• Guthookd says:

This was going to be a great fight, but with both guys coming off 2 losses in a row it would mean walking papers for one of the stars of the UFC……they’d probably walk right over to Strikeforce too.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 5

• Angry Mike says:

Guida is fun to watch, but he’d have to reinvent himself to be a title contender. He needs to improve his striking to complement his wrestling and conditioning. It would’ve been a great fight, though.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 0

• jemaleddin says:

So this is the third scratched fight in a row for Sean Sherk. If it’s because of him (health, training problems, licensing, whatever), I don’t know anyone who won’t assume that it’s related to PEDs.

For his sake, I sure hope we find out that Clay got injured in training or something.

• Damn it….I was excited about this fight. While I think Sherks days of title contention are long behind him there are a lot of fights that excite me with him in them and this was one of them. Guida is always fun to watch and I have a feeling he’ll have to get thrashed a few more times before the UFC lets him go. His loss to Diego made him look better than Diego just from him getting up off that head kick. No matter who he’s fighting the crowd starts the Guida chant the moment Clay hits that walk to the ring. Damn. Still a great card though…either Vera shows he’s back or Bones shows he’s for real..plus JDS and Napoa….WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great card for free!

@ Guthookd-
    If this fight did happen I doubt either guy would have got walking papers… UFC knows they still have name recognition and it would be able to draw some viewership…

• elsicilian says:

Dufresne:
    IN THE FUTURE.

I get what you are saying, and I love watching Guida fight; however, his last two defeats at the hands of Florian and Sanchez (both of whom have been recently and definitively established as the second tier of title contenders in the UFC lightweight division) suggest that Guida (though entertaining as hell) is a tertiary figure in the division, more suited to a gatekeeper role.

Obviously anything *could* happen in the future (Matt Serra won a title after all!), but these guys are known quantities, and there’s nothing to suggest that Guida – or Sherk for that matter – has a realistic chance of making a title run.

• 27jride says:

• elsicilian says:

27jride: no one’s gonna mention that Sherk may be blowing off fights because he’s afraid of drug testing? I’m not by any means stating that I firmly believe this or that it’s a fact or anything, it’s just that I’m shocked that it hasn’t even been pondered by anyone else. I realize I’m gonna get the big “thumbs down” for this but it IS somewhat possible.

Actually, jemaleddin states quite clearly above, “I don’t know anyone who won’t assume that it’s related to PEDs.”

It has “been pondered” by *everyone* else, but the idea doesn’t really warrant any special attention, because the possibility is as obvious as it is unsubstantiated, at this point.

• xtreme_machine says:

not my words but makes sence

DaNNy_BoY

My $ is that Sherk was pulled to give Maynard a top name to fight to keep him relevant at the top while Edgar and Penn duke it out.

Look how Sherks name made Edgar a relevant name when he was beat by him