Running Scared: Seven opponents turn down bout with Erin Toughill, January 30 FCF bout scratched

Already with an established reputation in female mixed martial arts as one of the most commonly avoided fighters in the business, Strikeforce 145 pound title threat Erin Toughill has once again seen an anticipated bout fall through due to not being able to find an opponent with the nerve to face her.

FiveOuncesofPain.com was recently able to learn from sources close to the situation that a total of seven women were contacted as potential opponents for the bout, and all seven have refused the matchup, leaving Toughill without a fight on January 30.

5 Oz. was the first to report that Erin was originally expected to return to action at FCF (Freestyle Cage Fighting) 39 on January 30 from the Firelake Grand Casino in Shawnee, Oklahoma. The card will still feature an extremely intriguing eight female 135 pound tournament with the winner being granted a title shot in the division over at Strikeforce in the near future.

Viewed throughout the sport as one of the true pioneer’s of female MMA, many of you will remember Toughill as an original representative of the sport during her appearance on MSNBC’s Warrior Nation series a few years back. A former professional boxer, Erin sports a 10-2-1 record, and is currently riding a four fight win streak.

• Guthookd says:

Wow. She is something special. Brutal and beautiful.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 4

• ndizzle says:

Guthookd: Wow. She is something special. Brutal and beautiful.On another note…………God I hope I can get a hold of that women’s tournament. I want to see that. Maybe they’ll sell the footage on the net or something. I’d pay $20 for that in a heart beat.  (Quote)

you can watch the event for ten bucks online

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• ndizzle says:

ndizzle: you can watch the event for ten bucks online  (Quote)

it will show on freestylecagefighting.com just 10 bucks hi-defintion

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 2

• Jak says:

What purpose would it serve to fight and lose to somebody knowingly much better and much more experienced than you? How does that help a career.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 2

• Unabomberman says:

Jak: Out of curiosity, got a list of the people who turned her down? Are these experienced fighters or simply fighters who would have been way over their head in a fight with her?Toughill is an established veteran, if they were trying to send a bunch of amateurs into fight just to lose, then no doubt they would avoid it.
    What purpose would it serve to fight and lose to somebody knowingly much better andmuch more experienced than you? How does that help a career.

That is actually a good point, if it is in fact true. I feel bad for Erin, but being a big fish in a small tank can’t do many good things for you. if I remember correctly, the fight should have been in short order, and anybody mad enough to face her under those conditions would have to either a) Be a developed veteran, or b) Be a badass chick with massive confidence.

As for me, I’m really bummed. I really wanted to see Erin fight.

insane body…

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 2

• Makington says:

It might not be good for your career, but it’s what makes you a true fighter. If you offered me a fight against GSP, I’d take it in a second. Sure I might die, or at the very least not be able to chew food for a month, but atleast I’d know that I stepped up. And who knows, it’s always possible for one of the fighters to beat Erin.

You see a guy like Matt Brown whose record is deceiving, because it’s definitely not the best record you’ve seen. That’s because he is a true fighter, and has never backed down from a fight. He took a lot of early fights in his career that maybe he wasn’t trained well enough for. But atleast he tried, and I’d have a much easier time looking myself in the mirror with a broken jaw but knowing I stepped up than padding my record picking only easy opponents.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• Guthookd says:

Makington: …If you offered me a fight against GSP, I’d take it in a second……I doubt she will get an opponent this late in, but I’d sure like to see a fighter step up.  (Quote)

LOL. I dont’ know about GSP but I’d take a fight with Doug Marshall.

• BigDave says:

• primetime says:

“Put her in with gina carano, that would be a one sided affair with erin comming out on top but the ratings would be threw the roof. and if they want to make an inter gender match I would take the fight and role with her for three rounds…..just sayin!”

Roll with her for 3 rounds…don’t you mean go to sleep in one round :)