Matt Brown: I will wear Ricardo Almeida out and finish him by TKO

Coming off a TKO victory against James Wilks in November, the “Immortal” Matt Brown (13-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) took a trip to Oahu, Hawaii to add some “aloha” to his fight game in preparation for his bout with Ricardo Almeida (11-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) at UFC 111.

FiveOuncesofPain.com recently had the chance to catch up with Brown at the Hawaii Martial Arts Center & Central Oahu Jiu Jitsu Academy to gather his thoughts on a number of issues, including his upcoming bout with the “Big Dog”.

Taking the advice of Matt Hume without very much persuasion, Brown jumped on a plane; destination Hawaii, to begin training with Haru Shimanishi.

“Matt [Hume] suggested I come out here,” said Brown. “He said we would like Haru’s style, and we do.”

While the majority of Brown’s two week trip revolved around training and preparing for his next fight, he still managed to sneak in some time for himself.

This was Brown’s first trip to Hawaii only the second time in his life that he had seen the ocean first hand.

Like many visitors to Hawaii, Brown has given surfing a shot, explaining, “I’m pretty close. I can actually catch waves now.”

When speaking of his trip to the island paradise as a whole, Brown explained, “It was great, man. I got some really good training, I got to see Hawaii, and I did a lot of fun things.”

In addition to working on his stand-up game with Haru, Brown was exposed to some great BJJ and had the opportunity to roll with students of BJJ Black Belt Kai Garcia. Some other notable grapplers that Brown had the opportunity to roll with included up and coming fighters Mario Miranda and Olympic gold medalist Satoshi Ishii.

Brown is currently intent on building upon his current three fight win streak in the UFC, but he’s going to have to go through decorated Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Ricardo Almeida to do it.

“He’s one of those guys I watched all the way back in Pride,” said Brown. “I have a lot of respect for him. He really is a great fighter.

“Hopefully it can be an exciting fight. I think it would be a huge jump in my career, with a victory over him. I don’t think it’s any secret, I want this fight on the feet, and he wants it on the ground. It’s kind of the classic striker versus grappler match-up. Hopefully he changes his mind and decides to be a striker for a day (laughs).”

When asked about fighting on Almeida’s home turf of New Jersey, Brown said, “It makes no difference to me. I’ve fought many guys in their own hometowns.”

After all, his last fight was in James Wilks’ hometown.

“The cage feels the same whether you’re in, you know, Las Vegas, Australia, England, or wherever.”

Brown doesn’t like to make predictions about his fights. He believes that predicting his fights can lead to false expectations or negative pressure. The one thing Brown was certain of was he would “perform well and do his job”

However, after some nudging he did offer, “It could end so many different way. I’m gonna wear him out and finish him with some sort of TKO.”

Brown will leave Hawaii at the end of January and return home to Las Vegas, where he will gather some items and head back to Seattle. There he will start fine-tuning his game plan with his coaches in Washington in preparation for his fight in March.

• Dufresne says:

I’ve always liked Matt Brown and it’s good to see him expanding his horizons in both training and life.

I see this fight going one of two ways; Brown finishes it either in the late 1st or middle of the 2nd by TKO or it goes to decision and Brown wins a majority decision or possibly a split decision.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 5

• Jstew3785 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 7 Thumb down 17

• KTru says:

this actually pits two of my more favorable fighters squaring off.

I’ve always enjoyed Browns in your face style and solid overall game and “Big Dog” who is a natural MW is going to fit his nickname by being a huge WW. Not a lot of fans like his style but he is without a doubt one of the best BJJ practitioners. I remember him tossing Marquardt around back in the days when Nate was “King of Pancrase”. And to this day, in my opinion, he beat Cote, which means he was close to a title shot.

with that being said, Brown has been known to leave a neck or limb out, and Ricardo submits him in the 2nd Rd

• ctownhood says:

I’ve learned one thing watching Matt Brown: Never count him out!
    If Big Dog can get this to the ground, he will win by sub. Easier said than done though ;)

• Rich S. says:

Matt Brown knows he’s fighting a BJJ expert and he’s going to be careful..
    That won’t take away from his normal gameplan though..
    I think he’ll let his hands fly, and if it hits the ground, he’ll take his time getting up, and if he gets caught, we’ll see his heart and flexibility displayed..

I say Brown takes this via Decision..

• fanoftna33 says:

This should be a very good fight, I am looking forward to big things from Almeida at WW though, I think he will win here but it wont be easy.

I actually think this will be a tough one for Brown but I still think he may squeek away with a W…

• hindsightufuk says:

i hadnt heard Ricardo was dropping to ww, good move for him, have to wonder how the cut will be though. Ricardo as an awesome grappler but i still dont rate him as an mma fighter, that said i think he will most likely be able to control the fight for a decision

• Guthookd says:

This is going to be a hard fight for both fighters. Ricardo has great ground work though, so I won’t be surprised if he gets a choke in round one. I think if Matt can pull the fight into round two that he’ll most likely take the TKO or W, but if it ends in the first it will be Ricardo’s hand raised at the bell.

We’ll see. I’m really just hoping for a good exciting fight with both stand up and ground work on display.

• FightFan313 says:

I like this match up. Neither guy is explosive. I think matt has a bigger heart for the MMA game and Ricardo the the Jitsu. Matt isn’t going to fall for the jump into my almeida guard but if it goes there I think Matt will be patient enough to get back to the feet and break Ricardo down.

Could go either way. Knock out or Sub. I see this one as a TKO in the 3rd by Matt Brown. .but wouldn’t be surprised if Ricardo by sub, either triangle or armbar in the second.

• cocoonofhorror says:

good luck w/ that Brown. Almeida sub round 1.

• “Neither guy is explosive.”
    Tell that to Pete Sell about Matt Brown. He still might not remember it after the total Asswhoopin he received from the Immortal.
    Matt Brown by TKO/KO or Im gonna go on a limb and say sub. Matt is crazy good off of his back, Far better than Kendall Grove IMO and Kendall almost caught the Big Dog slippin. Matt Brown hits HARD and I think he’ll put Ricardo in panic mode quick fast and in a hurry. Almeida has to be careful on his feet, in the clinch or on the ground against Brown. Brown just has to mind his P’s and Q’s on the ground and he’ll have a fantastic night.

and for those shaking there heads and me about the possible sub just remember this
    Cole Miller tapped out Jorge Gurgel after getting dominated all fight on the ground
    Frank Mir was a purple belt when he submitted Roberto Travern and Pete Williams in a combined minute and 47 seconds.
    Stranger things have happened

• shaking THEIR heads AT me…sorry just got home from work and Im havin a drink and rockin the herb…typos happen.