Exclusive: James Toney signs multi-fight deal with UFC

After months of speculation following James Toney making his intentions to fight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship public, one of the greatest boxers of our time is now set to embark on his career in mixed martial arts.

FiveOuncesofPain.com has been informed through sources close to the situation that James Toney has recently been signed to a multi-fight contract with the UFC.

Toney was seen during UFC 108 while attempting to track down UFC President Dana White in hopes of negotiating terms for the boxer to enter the UFC, although more recent comments from Toney made it appear as though the deal, if any, was dead in the water before today.

“Lights Out” is a former professional middleweight, super-middleweight, and cruiserweight boxing champion, while currently being listed as the active NABO and IBA heavyweight title holder.

Toney’s decorated professional boxing record currently stands at 72 victories and only 6 defeats, with 3 draws and 2 no-contests. James has stopped 44 of his 72 victims via knockout for an impressive 61% knockout ratio.

There is no news currently available as to when Toney will be making his debut for the promotion. Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we keep you up to date on this developing story.

• frizzle says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 42 Thumb down 58

• fanoftna33 says:

this surprises me quite a bit as Dana was all over the place saying how much he didnt want this guy. He is a legitimate threat to anybody standing though and unlike Walker Toney comes from a fighting background.

Well-Done. Thumb up 38 Thumb down 13

• fanoftna33 says:

I acually have a old snes boxing game with Toney in it as a Middleweight.

Well-Done. Thumb up 27 Thumb down 5

• saerbarnet says:

frizzle: Dana, you goddamn hypocrite. Im pretty sure with another training session; Herschel would beat the hell out of Toney.

Ehm.. Yeah the legit boxer will lose to the american football player with mad Tae Kwon Do skills…

Well-Done. Thumb up 60 Thumb down 17

• themml says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 38

• Erbros says:

Toney has the worst possible style of boxing for translating into MMA success…. very little footwork, & counterfights with heavy hands… He will be taken down literally at will, & will have his legs taken out by any solid muay thai skills. Dana has signed a multi-fight deal with him, which means he’s probably gonna spoon-feed him guys who brawl with hands, to “build him up” for real actuall opponents. Expect Toney vs. Kimbo. Any UFC level fighter with solid muay thai & ground would end the fight within the first minute against a boxer with Toney’s style. I think this was a bad decision for Dana… why not make Toney prove himself in MMA in The Ultimate Fighter? Then ratings could still be generated without signing someone completely unproven. Even Brock Lesnar, a 4-time division 1 NCAA wrestling champ, had to get in the cage before he entered the UFC.

Well-Done. Thumb up 37 Thumb down 12

• themml says:

Brock got in a ring first, not a cage

Well-Done. Thumb up 29 Thumb down 11

• Kirtm says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 64 Thumb down 4

• Maybe Dana just signed him to make Toney look foolish when he gets scooped up and tapped out?

Well-Done. Thumb up 39 Thumb down 5

• Lerner17 says:

One word describes this: Fail.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 24

• inkythewinky says:

i love celebrity mma lol

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 17

Between this news and the ongoing SF bullshit, I had to check the calender because I thought today was April fools day. Jk.

In all seriousness though- Kimbo vs Toney has money written all over it… So much so I wouldn’t be surprised if they get kimbo out of the current fight he’s signed up for to avoid him getting a loss before a fight with Toney.

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 3

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Yeah, I would bet my left nut(my favorite by the way) that he will be fighting Kimbo. It will be a test to see if Kimbo will work on his ground skills instead of trying to prove his standup ability. I hate to admit that I actually want to see what would happen, who knows, Toney trains up and wins by inverted Triangle!! That would be epic!! Of course ya’ll could be right and Dana feeds him to Couture just to watch him get dumped on his ass and mauled on the ground. Or whatever wrestler, what weight will he be fighting at? Middleweight? LHW? Maybe Chris Leben, a guy who can take some punches but could get him on the ground. Who else at Middleweight, Nate Marquart maybe? I know I mispelled that probably but I don’t feel like looking it up.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 8

• Rich S. says:

Eh, Toney could win his first fight, depending on who Dana gives him.. But he won’t go anywhere.. not in the UFC..

There’s mixed martial artists that have been fighting for YEARS that can’t even make it in the UFC.. I doubt a boxer can just come in and consistently win..

Toney doesn’t seem like the type of guy that would start training Jiu Jitsu, either..

I guess Toney/Kimbo will have to happen at some point.. That’s one Toney can definitely win..

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 5

Before we compare this to walker n the rest of the hoopla let’s see how UFC plays this hand…

Is it really bad to sign a pro boxer & a current title holder and put him on some tv cards and show him getting out matched??

Maybe there’s a method to the madness- let’s remember these guys signed kimbo and used him a little bit BUT used him there way not the elite xc or SF way…

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 2

• slammy862 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 6 Thumb down 19

• fetussandwich says:

slammy862: Is it “Lights Out,” or “Light Days,” Toney?Sheeyit, look at the man-boobs he’s developed!Maybe if he fights topless we can talk Carano into doing the same. That might bring in some moola.

Note the belt around his waste and his hands being raised. No biggie, really.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 5

• jim7283 says:

Great stuff Cory, well done on breaking the story as always. Any idea who UFC is going to throw at him first?

• edub says:

fetussandwich: Note the belt around his waste and his hands being raised. No biggie, really.  (Quote)

Yea one of the garbage ass belts they give out in boxing nowadays.

The guy isn’t even a top 20 HW anymore.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 11

• Guthookd says:

Kirtm: Don’t you see what Dana is doing? He has signed Toney to make a fool of the man that has been calling him out on national TV and badmouthing the UFC the past couple of weeks. Toney is going to wish this singing never happened.  (Quote)

Man, I hope you’re right.

Is he going to fight at LHW? I say give him Eric Schaffer (spelling? You know…Ravishing Red). He’ll tap Toney quick.

I just hope they don’t try to build him up. I hope they send him in with BJJ blackbelts for first round submissions.

• Cory Brady says:

jim7283:

(Quote)

Thanks Jim, and I’m looking into it as we speak. I’ll let you guys know as soon as I can pin down something solid.

• Dufresne says:

themml: Brock got in a ring first, not a cage

You seem to have forgotten that Brock was only 31 and had at least one MMA bout under his belt when he was signed. He was also a NCAA wrestling champ and wrestling has traditionaly translated directly into MMA in a cage better than boxing has.

I think the UFC is probably doing this as a publicity stunt and intends on giving Toney either a can to KO and then giving him some legend to destroy him, or they’ll just give him the legend to begin with and try to make a statement to the boxing world as a whole. Any way it goes, Toney isn’t going to go anywhere in MMA, but it could be fun for the short time it lasts.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 2

• Guthookd says:

If he does fight Kimbo…I would bet MY left nut that Kimbo works his developing ground game and submitts Toney. You know Kimbo is working on it night and day at ATT.

Shit….that actually sounds like something I wouldn’t mind seeing.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 2

• Rich S. says:

If Kimbo worked his ground game he could win..
    But if he stood with Toney, he would get laid out..
    I don’t care how old or flabby he is (ok, to an extent), a boxer’s going to beat a MMAist when it comes to standup.. every single time.. They just hit wayyyy harder and take hits better..

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 8

• crane_style says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 9

• fetussandwich says:

edub:
    Yea one of the garbage ass belts they give out in boxing nowadays.The guy isn’t even a top 20 HW anymore.

edub:

He was the crusierweight, middleweight, super middleweight, and heavyweight champion. The fact you can say anything he’s done is remotely close to being considered garbage says more about you than I will ever have to.

Well-Done. Thumb up 21 Thumb down 5

• Lethal Liquid says:

This is crazy I don’t know if I like this or not. On the one hand as a fan I don’t want boxers and boxing q public thinking they can just come in and run MMA without proper respect for the sport. But man having a boxing champ of his caliber we as fans get to answer that combat sports question definitely. Who’s the better fighter?

Also don’t discount the genuis of this move. With James Toney you bring in boxing fans who believe there’s nothing elite about MMA. More exposure for the sport

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

• LiverPunch says:

I bet they put him against a good wrestler first…not.
    It is a shame that MMA is selling out. Walker, Kimbo, Toney and the rest are just cashing in on fame for reasons other than their MMA ability.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 11

• BillyWarhol says:

AWESOMEE!! Toney + Everybody else on the Planet knows BOXING is a JOKE – not cuz it ain’t the Sweet Science but cuz they NEVER Tee Up the Top Dudes to Tee Off. This will be a Great Fight!! Toney better get to Davenport, Iowa and get a few Lessons in at the Miletich Fighting Camp. Personally I’ve got Operation FrogPond coming up July 4 in Shrewsbury Ontario + I better get my Ass in Gear!! BBQ BillyBurgers n Booze n Babes will be on the House!!!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 10

• Lee Gerowitz says:

I just saw this on ESPN’s Bottom Line, and I almost sharted myself.

I’ll make a prediction right now: James Toney, who hasn’t been in fighting shape since ‘Nam, will become the first mixed martial artist to get a bra endorsement.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 8

• crane_style says:

Rich S.: If Kimbo worked his ground game he could win..
    But if he stood with Toney, he would get laid out..

I’ll agree that boxers, on average, hit harder than mma fighters, from a boxing stance.

However, boxers tend to stay in a more balanced stance and don’t load up with the big “fastball” punches the way mma fighters do, so sometimes the mma fighters throw harder.

And as far as chin goes, I don’t think you can generalize like that. The huge size difference between boxing and mma gloves means that mma fighters are more likely to get a flash knock out, not that their chins are weaker.

• crane_style says:

crane_style: I’m gonna go out on a limb here and predict Randy Couture vs. Tooney. Another battle of “legends”?

Ha! The Natural just said he wants Tooney first on twitter. Remember, you read it here first.

Wow… maybe the Natural is trying to add some padding to that Retirement Savings Acct.
    Maybe his ex’s took a little too much of his dough…

other news sources are reporting:

“Juanito Ibarra, a 30-year veteran of boxing and MMA who once trained champions Oscar De La Hoya and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, is training Toney in his Southern California MMA gym.”

“In the coming weeks, he expects to bring in several well-known fighters to coach Toney in wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, though he declined to give any names.”

Interesting… Toney may be taking this serious, let’s see what happens.

• Dufresne says:

Rece Rock: Five Ounces of Pain

I’m not really surprised he’s taking this seriously, he’s not a dumb man. He’s been to several MMA events and has seen what the sport brings to the table so he knows where his holes are. Unless they pair him up with someone that’s gonna try and stand and box with him he’s gonna be way out of his element. Young fighters that are still easily trainable have issues moving from one combat sport to another and in most cases it takes years before they fully arrive, so I have to think that Toney is going to have problems transitioning from a 100% boxer to a MMA. Completely ignoring the ground game, the MMA standup game is vastly different. He’s never been in a fight where someone kicked him in the legs or liver. Throw in the wrestling and BJJ and he’s got a solid 5 years at least before he’s a well rounded fighter.

Dufresne-
    Agreed… but atleast he may have some idea whats either coming at him or how to atleast attempt to avoid it… but you are correct in stating that it takes a long term commitment to training to get to the level needed to successfully compete in MMA

• manny says:

WTF Dana!
    First u criticize strkforce for signing Walker and you go out and do this…???
    What in the heck where you thinking…Toney is not at the level walker is. For 47 yr old i got to say Walker is in damn good shape. As far as Toney, well not even close.
    Ufc just neede some attention b/c it hasn’t gotten any in a while.
    Prediction: 1st fight for Toney- Will gas in the first found after throwing all his punch flurries and then get submitted.
    Why not go after Fedor now!

• Angry Mike says:

They can train him with all the grapplers and wrestlers they want, but at most he’ll learn a few basics in how to defend. I doubt he can be taught how to fend off takedowns from top tier grapplers in just a few months.

Imo, that’s not his biggest vulnerability. He always has a puncher’s chance, and if he catches a grappler coming in, a ko is a very real possibility. His biggest disadvantage will be against strikers with decent muy thai or kickboxing. They’ll kick the piss out of his legs, taking away his mobility and his power. You can’t learn that or how to stop it in just a few months, either.

• danw84 says:

I don’t really understand why people are still talking poorly about Walker. He was in great shape, showed some decent skills, especially for the short time he had been training, and even won. I didn’t hear anyone saying his opponent had no business in the cage, and look who ended up losing, and quite convincingly.

I don’t see the problem with Toney getting signed. What’s the worst that can happen? He gets hurt? The guy is at least coming from a combat sport background. He knows how to take a real punch, and it doesn’t take much time to teach someone when to tap. So, he’ll get his ass kicked and Dana will be able to say “See, I told you you couldn’t hack it in MMA,” also sending a message to the other boxers talking shit about how they could come in and destroy any MMA fighter.

Like people have said already, I think it’s pretty obvious what Dana is doing here. At the same time he gets to shut up a loud mouthed boxer, and make a pretty decent payday for the UFC. If the guy is healthy and gets cleared to fight, I don’t get where the issue is.

I wish ppl would stop comparing this to Walker to begin with. Walker fought a guy whom is not even good enough to sit ringside at a UFC event let alone fight in the cage… His opponent just walked in there had his 10 minutes of fame and walked back to obscurity.

After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that- Win, Lose or Draw Toney will be fighting a decent if not great fighter and will be tested. This isn’t for charity and his opponent wont be a push over… Toney is a man whom fights for a living who thinks he can succeed in a different combat sport than he’s trained in. This really isn’t a big deal… the man still fights it’s not like they signed Mike Tyson or another dormant fighter, they signed a guy who is the current NABO and IBA Heavyweight champion. Weather or not those belts are significant or not – those belts means the man can still fight for a living and can still draw a crowd.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 3

• Lerner17 says:

Score! I got my first hidden comment. It’s a proud day. I honestly see no good coming out of this besides a boxer getting pwnt BJJ and Muy Thai style in the octagon.