UFC to counter Strikeforce with April 17 Fight Night card

UFC President Dana White has confirmed that the UFC will hold an event on April 17 to counter Strikeforce, according to Figure Four Online.

There is a possibility that Strikeforce could move the event to April 24, which will be be the same weekend the WEC is making it’s PPV debut. It should be noted that tickets for the Strikeforce event in Nashville have already gone on sale, and a move to a different weekend would cause some issues.

It should also be noted that the Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione has disappeared off the UFC website, and James Toney has shown interest in fighting Slice.

Randy Couture has already stated on Twitter that he would be interested in a fight against the Toney.

Stay tuned, things are about to get interesting

• fanoftna33 says:

With so much good MMA over the next two months I really dont see this as a good idea. The ufc is really putting on some shows lately, with 2 ppv cards 3 title fights a fight nigh card and the new season of tuf, now they are going to throw together another fight night card( I forgot about the verses card also ) Maybe they shouldnt have dropped so many fighters and put them on this card.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 10

• inkythewinky says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 27 Thumb down 57

• jj says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 37 Thumb down 19

• inkythewinky says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 9 Thumb down 32

• Guthookd says:

I think SF should counter the WEC PPV with their card.

UFC free card>SF free card>WEC PPV card…that’s how I see it.

And for God’s sake Dana, tell us who your going to put Toney up against. We REALLY want to know.

Thanks for the news Five Ounces.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 4

• inkythewinky says:

jj: The easiest solution is just to hold all future Strikeforce events the same night as the next upcoming WEC event.WEC is probably about the same as Strikeforce in terms of brand recognition and the UFC would never try to counter program the WEC. Strikeforce has a much better TV deal in terms of viewer exposure, so they will win everytime.I think there is a misconception that Dana wants MMA to be the biggest sport in the world. In actuality he wants MMA to fail unless its under the UFC banner.  (Quote)

dude that is brilliant, i just twitterd that idea to strikeforce

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 22

• KTru says:

Kimbo v Mitrione even though announced on last PPV, was never on the website.

unfortunately, if you do not have a DVR, you miss out on MMA. I love as much MMA as possible, and I understand the UFC trying to keep SF Viewers down, it hurts the overall product by making the fans make a choice.

either way, I’ll end up seeing it all

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 4

• KRS 27 says:

Shows that SF is scared to death of the UFC>

They they would move a CBS Card, not a showtime card, a CBS Card that has three title fight, Hendo, Mousasi, Melendez, Shields, Mo and Aoki cause of a UFC Fight Night?

and lets not pretend that the UFC is only doing a show in March, one in april and now another show, so they have all these extra fights, they are doing 111 112 113, Versus, Fight night, and now another fight night all in the weeks leading up and after the 17th.

So what big mega huge fights are they gonna get on short notice for this fight night?

Serra/Swick is a fight, ok, decent, but is that it? So that they would move cause of a fight night, i mean if the UFC said UFC 112 will now air live on the 17th and will be on Spike, not PPV, I’d say SF better move, but a UFC fight night compared to a three title fight SF card, come on, that shows how scared they are, they would move to face a WEC PPV?

Sure it would hurt the WEC PPV, even though imo Aldo/Faber is a better fight than anything on the SF card, it still wont be nearly as big and would def really hurt the wec.

SO if they do that, they can count on the UFC going all out, forget reruns, forget Fight nights, if they do that I could see the UFC starting to counter them with free PPV type cards, with title fights on SPike,

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 10

• Dufresne says:

inkythewinky:
    wow alot of disagreements here, so u want wec to be ppv exclusive, and sf to fail? weird

No, I want WEC to do well with their PPV and SF to do well also. I would prefer that WEC stays free more than 50% of the time, but I want them to make it on PPV so that there will be more funds for the company and for the fighters.

Just because someone gives you a thumbs down doesn’t mean they want the opposite.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 2

• lemonheadzzz says:

“The recent news comes after it was revealed that two of Strikeforce’s biggest draws, Fedor Emelianenko and Herschel Walker, will not be competing on the card.”

I doubt many mma people really give a fuck about Herschel Walker.

Well-Done. Thumb up 26 Thumb down 2

Bottom Line- the fans win in all scenarios… MMA for all. If it’s free it’s for me.

• retrofitting123 says:

i cant wait to see the viewer number comparisons afterwards-will free fights on spike offset free sf fights …idk but ufc 107 replay did really well last time

• Dufresne says:

I would put money on SF winning the ratings war here simply because they have the larger viewership since they’re on network TV.

This is one of those instances where I thank God for whoever invented my DVR.

• RU486 says:

• moosebaby02 says:

RU486: I live in Nashville and have been anticipating this Strikeforce show ever since it was first rumored to be coming to my hometown. Now the rumor is, that UFC will hold the Fight Night on April 27th in Nashville also, to counter the ticket sales at the gate. This prick move is complete and total bullshit. It’s one thing to replay UFC 107 on Spike or show the premiere of Best of Pride or whatever as a counter, but don’t be such a bitch that you hold a card the same night, and in the same city.Those kind of antics are what ultimately will be the demise of the UFC. Dana thinks he’s too big now and that his shit doesn’t stink. Well, forcing me to make a choice so that you can pull some of their thunder Dana is making you look like a whiny little schoolyard brat in the “I’m taking my ball and going home” kind of fashion. In the end, I will choose to no longer buy your products and spend that (overpriced) money on another promotion, or a UFC banned clothing company, and watch all of your fights for free.  (Quote)

hahahahaha

• LiverPunch says:

They wont let their fighters fight elsewhere, they are unable to keep or sign top talent like Hendo, Werdum, Arlovski, Fedor and Mousasi and they try to kill off or weaken their oposition at every turn. I’m sick of the way they operate and I hope this backfires.

• edbuzz says:

Dana White knows that if Strikeforce ever gets big enough to really compete with the UFC then Zuffa LLC will have to pay more money to retain quality MMA fighters to remain in their organization.

We’ve got to root for Strikeforce to succeed. Since all their cards are currently on either free tv (cbs) or cable (showtime) we should take advantage and view them so that their ratings go through the roof and they can charge more in advertising fees.

I think Dana White is a Tickhead with a D, but he really does promote the heck out of the UFC.

Scott Coker should be out there talking shit just to get people to pay more attention to his organization.

Maybe a Coker vs. White steel cage match.

: )

• JD0978 says:

LiverPunch: They wont let their fighters fight elsewhere, they are unable to keep or sign top talent likeHendo, Werdum, Arlovski, Fedor and Mousasi and they try to kill off or weaken their oposition at every turn. I’m sick of the way they operate and I hope this backfires.

1) Fedor got offered a ridiculous contract, Dana just didnt want to co-promote with M-1.
    2) Arlovski and Werdum arent top talent anymore, they both were in the UFC and couldn’t hang.
    3) Henderson was being a whiner. Why would we want to see him fight Anderson 8 months after he got laid all over him for the first round and then got beat like a drum in the second.
    4) Its only a matter a time until Mousasi comes to the UFC. SF can’t hang with the $ Dana will throw at him.

• LiverPunch says:

Sorry JD but I said they couldn’t keep top talent and couldn’t sign it. You just gave your twisted one sided reasons to back up what I said in a couple of instances and said that Werdum now top 10 (with 2 victories over Gonzaga and one over Vera) and Arlovski, who was no.2 in the world at the time he was released, couldn’t hang?! that is just wrong. Nut Hugger wrong.
    I mean Hendo was being a whiner. If he could get a better contract elsewhere he would take it.