Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Rashad Evans announced for UFC 114

A highly anticipated light heavyweight bout between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans has been announced and will take place on May 29 at UFC 114.

Originally billed to take place at UFC 107, the fight was delayed due to Rampage’s controversial decision to accept the role of B.A. Baracus in the upcoming movie “The A-Team”.

This fight has been expected since the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter when Evans and Team Rashad comfortably beat ‘Rampage’ along with Team Rampage, with Roy Nelson walking out at ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ in the end. During the show there was a series of heated arguments and a lot of trash talk between the pair.

UFC president Dana White talked about animosity between the two via UFC.com, stating,”It’s no secret that Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans don’t like each other, and this rivalry has gotten more and more intense in the last few months, I can guarantee you that neither one of these guys wants to lose to each other, this fight is going to be insane.”

Rampage will be making his first appearance inside the octagon after a 15 month absence. His last fight inside the cage was a unanimous decision victory against Keith Jardine. However, Rampage is unwilling to let this affect him and stated his desire to knock Rashad out via UFC.com, stating,“I really want to knock this guy out, I’ve never, ever wanted to knock someone as cold as I want to knock Rashad Evans out. He’s disrespected me so much, for so long. I am so motivated to train my ass off. I’ve moved my coaches into my house already – Rashad should be prepared to see a brand new Rampage in May. I saw him in Sydney a few weeks back and we picked up right where we left off. I can’t stand him. He’s a disrespectful person and I didn’t even want to beat Wanderlei Silva as much as I want to beat this guy.”

As a result of Jackson’s withdrawal from the previous fight, Evans instead took on Thiago Silva at UFC 108. Evans ended up winning a unanimous decision despite nearly being knocked out by Silva in the third round..

Rashad also had his own to say about rampage via UFC.com.

“I don’t like all the pre-fight talking, so I can’t wait until I finally get my chance to shut him up,” said Evans. “There were a lot of times on the show when I wanted to hit him right there. When Keith Jardine was training for his fight with Rampage, I had to mimic Rampage’s style. I can probably beat Rampage as Rampage now.“Plus, he’s gotten fat. He needs to get in shape just to get in shape. I may come to the Octagon with Mr. T just to get in his head.”

With both fighters beaming with confidence, something will have to give. Rashad has already told Rampage that ‘He needs to get in shape just to get in shape’. Rampage, on the other hand, is promising a ‘brand new Rampage in May’. All of the trash talk will surely make this fight one to remember.

UFC 114 will take place on the 29th May inside the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Sooo then maybe this time next year we’ll see Tito vs chuck…jk?! Think they need to just have a format where the coachs for the show are just coachs not rivals & not going to fight at the end… Just coaches- BUT if they get into it on the show or whatever then set something up so there’s no further let down or wasted interest…regardless if the coaches fight or not the tuf rivalry exist simply by way of the team format.

• Guthookd says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 25

• supereric says:

Expect Lay n Pray from Rashad or else he’ll be seeing stars

Well-Done. Thumb up 30 Thumb down 5

• moosebaby02 says:

they already had their chance to do all the talking they wanted. just get in the cage and get it over with.
    oh Page in the2nd by death blow ko

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 6

• bigbadjohn says:

Rashad has this one. Page was seen at ufc 110 looking quite ‘soft’ and smoking cigarettes. Rashad is training with GSP, and in a fight with so much personal vendetta I’d want Greg Jackson on my side

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 18

• Makington says:

All this talk about how Rashad wants to knock Rampage out so bad, but I doubt Rashad will stand with him for one second longer than he had to. If a gassed, less technical puncher like Thiago Silva can just about KO Rashad in the 3rd, then Rampage could put him to sleep at about any time.

This fight has the potential to be one of the most exciting fights of all time, but I’m afraid we’ll once again see how good Rashad is at taking down someone without ever actually leaving a mark on them.

Well-Done. Thumb up 21 Thumb down 2

• bigbadjohn says:

Agreed Makington but we can be sure if there ever was a fight Rashad would want to put that rap to rest itd be at 114 baby! boy am I jacked for this one

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

• JOEgun says:

Man I cant wait! I got Rampage in this one. I actually love the way Rampage throws his punches, especially big hooks. I think he will be okay against Rashads wrestling too. Rampage did awesome against Hendo. Cant wait for this one!!

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 4

• mu_shin says:

Obviously in the minority here, but if any MMA fighter can’t deal with a strong wrestler from the bottom, he’s going to lose, and deservedly so. Ground fighting is what distinguishes MMA from boxing and kickboxing, and to continually hear people disparage the wrestling aspects of this sport makes me wonder why those people watch MMA.

Personally, I think both of these guys are strong light heavyweights. In the stand-up battle, I see an edge going to Rampage in the slugger/toe to toe modality, and an advantage for Evans in hand speed, lateral motion, and foot work. Rampage can wrestle, is full body strong, and has plenty of experience on the ground, but I think Rashad is more of an instinctive wrestler, and may have better natural reactions to deal with the ground war.

After watching Cung Le fade in the third round of the Scott Smith fight, I’m wondering about Rampage’s conditioning as well. I hope he’s as motivated as he says he is, because Evans will be in top shape, and has fought more recently.

Hoping this fight will be a great one, and that we’ll get a definitive result in three rounds. If Rampage connects with the big one, he’ll be back in the mix, but Rashad has landed a few bombs of his own the past couple years, and can’t be counted out. I can also see Rashad fighting this one from the outside and outpointing a bull-rushing Rampage, so can’t wait to see how it goes down.

• blue says:

Let me say I am a Rampage fan and I will be pulling for him to win this fight. But that doesn’t mean I think he’ll win the fight. Rashad really has amazing hand speed and this will give him the edge on their feet. Rampage may want to get in shape, but that doesn’t mean he can make up lost ground, Rashad will be in better shape and more technically sound.

But I’ll still be cheering for Rampage.

• cdrg says:

i love Rampage and i hate Rashad, so i think yall know who my pick is. Rampage by KO in the 1st or 2nd. Hes gona make Rashad do the stanky leg again like lyoto made rashad do. LMFAO!

• Dufresne says:

I’m going with Rampage here. He’s got very solid wrestling, crazy power, and a chin like a bank vault. Rashad is quick, has pretty decent power, but was wobbled in his last fight by a worn out fighter, dropped by a less powerful striker in the fight before that, and was losing against Forrest until he landed that haymaker, which most likely wouldn’t drop Rampage even if it landed flush.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think I will be taking Evans here. We all know how much power Rampage has but even with it he couldn’t ko Griffen. Evans did. Yes Silva caught him pretty good but Evans reacted quickly and got out of trouble, Rampage doesn’t have that instinct as when he really gets rocked he just stands and trades which should make it easier for Evans to win. Plus the long layoff will affect his reactions and cardio. In a very close fight to call I will take Evans by ko late 2nd or 3rd round.

• danw84 says:

I used to like Rampage and hate Evans, until TUF 10. I don’t care if Rampage isn’t a coach, he still showed he’s classless the way he treated his guys after a loss. He’s a funny guy, but I have no respect for him.

Anyway other than being stronger and a bit bigger than Evans, I don’t see where Rampage is better. He hits pretty hard, but Evans is pretty good at avoiding punches. Evans is quicker and a better wrestler. I think it’s going to be a great fight, but I think Evans has it, and personally I hope he does.

• ElKenzo says:

I’d like to see Rampage win, but I’m afraid Evans will take this one. 2months isn’t nearly enough to get back in fighting shape and into the groove of things, and I’m quite sure Evans won’t be stupid enough to stay infront of Rampage and trade with him. The key will be Evans moving around, scoring a few well timed takedowns in the beginning of the bout. Scoring a decisive round over a gassed Rampage in the third. Evans by decision makes Elkenzo sad. :C

• cdrg says:

evens gona do the stanky leg!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha………..ha!

• inkythewinky says:

this fight is what the majority want, i would much rather see rampage forest 2, and rashad vs lil nog

• Niv says:

My two cents is that Rampage is the superior fighter in almost every category here.

Rampage has excellent hands, he went five rounds in a tooth and nail fight against Olympic calibre wrestler Hendo. I doubt Rashad can do anything better wrestling wise than Hendo can bring, so in short if Jackson is in shape he’ll win.

• bigbadjohn says:

Rashad late 2nd, early 3rd GnP for the TKO. Rampage big head bounces off the canvas one too many times with another takedown and Rashad flurries his giant dome for the referee stoppage. Jackson’s contract is up and his time in UFC is up. Stars in numerous more movies (flop, flop, straight to dvd, flop), none bigger than the A-team role, and fades into obscurity. Maybe does a freak show fight vs. a Jose Canseco-type for big money in a couple years. And if this we’re Vegas I’d put a couple bucks down on “ends up hosting a girls gone wild kind of show” as well.

• elkymbo says:

I’ll be happy as a pig in shit if Rampage knocks Rashad the fuck out in the first 10 seconds of the fight. I genuinely can’t stand the falseness of Rashad. That bullshit about him caring for his fighters in TUF 10 was exactly that…..bullshit. He only cared about making himself look good for the cameras. I wasn’t fooled…..were you?

• danw84 says:

No I wasn’t fooled, because Evans actually DOES care for his guys. Just because you don’t like Evans doesn’t make him fake.

Rampage blatantly didn’t give a shit about his guys and left them there defeated alone. He isn’t just a bad coach, he’s a bad person.

I hope he gets his head knocked off.