Eric “Red” Schafer cut by UFC

Seven-time UFC veteran Eric “Red” Schafer has been released from the promotion on the heels of a two fight losing skid.

The news comes courtesy of Schafer himself in a recent post on The Underground.

I found out an hour before reading this, was just joking around (though it really does suck). I’ll just get back into the gym and see what the future holds. Despite losing the last 2 decisions, I felt I learned a lot, but the UFC is not a easy place to be working on my game. Oh well, I had some good battles and always went out looking to finish. Was an amazing experience.

With an overall career record of 11-5, and a UFC record of 3-4, Schafer recently dropped consecutive bouts at the hands of Ryan Bader at UFC 104, and most recently to Jason Brilz via unanimous decision during the first “UFC on Versus” event.

A former XFO light heavyweight champion and black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, “Red” has notched notable wins over the likes of Rob MacDonald, Antonio Mendes and Houston Alexander in the past.

• Dufresne says:

I really like Schafer, but even I could see this coming. He hasn’t been the most exciting fighter as of late, and he hasn’t been doing much in the win column. The UFC is hard enough on people that do keep winning, but when you lose and you’ve been doing it in a boring fashion, you’re almost certainly out.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 1

• blue says:

Rece Rock: UFC needs a generic statement when a fighter is released…. The WWE always says they wish the talent all the best on their future endeavors…I think it’s a polite way of saying your fired don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  (Quote)

From my perspective nobody prospers when the UFC releases a fighter; the UFC or the fighters. So I don’t know how or why being more public would benefit anybody involved.

• inkythewinky says:

wtf?!! this upsets me, about as much when they cut jake rosholt, or jason macdonald, hopefully sf picks em up

Blue:
    First off it was a joke…

Secondly… you said-

“…From my perspective nobody prospers when the UFC releases a fighter; the UFC or the fighters…”

Yeah no shit that it’s not beneficial to the fighter the guys fired…it’s not a highlight in his career.

• blue says:

Rece Rock: Blue:First off it was a joke…Secondly… you said-And the UFC does benefit from not having to pay a fighter thats not reaching there goals and isn’t up to par… so yeah the UFC benefits just like any other employer benefits from firing dead weight.  (Quote)

Apparently you have never been responsible for managing anyone or any team before.

• Guthookd says:

I guess I saw it coming too, but I’m still bummed about it. I think Ravishing Red has an excellent ground game and a ton of potential. Love to see him over at SF. I’m sure he’ll find a new venue somewhere.

Good luck Eric….we’ll see you on your next run.

• hindsightufuk says:

see i like watching guys like this, pure submission grappler, not a gret wrestler, certainly not a great striker, only way to win a fight is with a sub. i love watching those sort of guys try to overcome different styles.

best of luck to him

Blue-
    Actually I have managed staff-

UFC is his employer not his manager, not his trainer and certainly not his sponsor… They only can provide a platform for him to perform on and be certain all the needed elements for that fight to happen are in place… After that it’s on him and if he under performs it’s on him… Although they may share one common goal in successfully putting on the fight, the UFC ‘s goals and forecasted needs / wants differ from the fighters especially if the fighter is on a losing streak…it’s a business not a trainIng facility- do I feel bad for the guy yeah sure, but do I understand it’s a business and this is part of what comes with it.