Keith Jardine vs. Matt Hamill on tap for “The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale”

While many may have been anticipating news of Keith Jardine‘s release from the UFC following a brutal knockout suffered at the hands of Ryan Bader during UFC 110, it looks like there’s still a pulse to Jardine’s career with the promotion after all.

A bout is currently being targeted for The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale between Jardine and Matt Hamill according to a recent report from MMAJunkie.com.

Jardine may be staying afloat in the UFC, but there’s no questioning the fact that he’s treading water at this point with a trio of consecutive defeats on his resume. A loss at the hands of Hamill at The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale would make a case for “The Dean of Mean” staying in the UFC an extremely difficult one to make.

The TUF 11 Finale is currently expected to take place on June 19 from the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, although nothing is set in stone through the promotion as of this writing.

Jardine boasts an overall UFC record of 6-6 with notable wins over the likes of Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell; however, three losses in a row at the hands of Quinton Jackson, Thiago Silva and Ryan Bader – the latter two being devastating knockouts – leave Jardine between a rock and a hard place in his next outing.

Hamill is in a more comfortable situation with three victories in a row on paper; although the TUF 3 veteran undoubtedly has much to prove being that his last “win” was a one-sided beatdown suffered at the hellbows of Jon Jones during The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

• manny says:

GO Hammil!
    i still think they ripped him off the fight w/ bisping.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 7

• cocoonofhorror says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 21

• fanoftna33 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 21

• qat says:

wow, i really expected them to give jardine an easier fight, however im happy they did not. gonna be interesting.

Well-Done. Thumb up 26 Thumb down 1

• MCM says:

I’m a big fan of jardine infact, I’d venture to say he’s my second favorite fighter. But if he looses this fight, I can’t see any reason to keep in the UFC.
    WAR Jardine!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 9

• bigbadjohn says:

Ill feel bad for whoever loses this fight. Now Bader n Bones makes oh so much sense

• hindsightufuk says:

cant see matt losing this one. keith is becoming less entertaining in every fight as well, he needs to make way

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 7

• Rich S. says:

Wow, what a surprise.. This is actually brilliant matchmaking..

Both are top guys at 205 that just can’t seem to beat the other top guys..

I actually can’t pick a winner..
    I could see Hamill gritting his way to a decision, but I can just as easily see Jardine putting a hurting on him with the striking.. Or even an even-matched war..

Great fight..

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 3

• cocoonofhorror says:

Rich S.: Wow, what a surprise.. This is actually brilliant matchmaking..
    Both are top guys at 205 .

what? no they arent, you must be thinking of two other guys…

• bigbadjohn says:

If these are Top guys, you must be including 75% of the division in that category

• edub says:

Id say its a good matchup from the position that both guys are coming off bad losses. If keith loses he should be cut from the UFC.

• silkshot61 says:

These are two fighters who have heart but can’t produce. They have both been given opportunities and high level talents and failed. Imagine if Jardine would have knocked Rampage unconscious he would have been a fight away from his boy Rashad. Even Hamill with Franklin if he won he’d be given a fight for the title or be atleast one away from a title shot. But sadly that is not the case with either men. Both are coming off of humiliating loses, I’m sorry I just don’t think Bader is that good, and this fight makes sense. If Jardine loses he’s gone, if Hamill loses he’ll be fed cans until they find a reason to boot him.

• Dufresne says:

I love Matt. He’s such a considerate, genuine seeming kind of guy. Hopefully his shoulder has healed up well and we see him at 100%.

As for who wins the fight, I don’t really know. Matts standup isn’t very good, although it is eons away from what he came into TUF with, and jardine hasn’t shown much of his wrestling/ground game in the past. Jardine obviously has heavy hands, but so does Franklin and he didn’t KO him. I wouldn’t he shocked if there was a weird ending to his such as Jardine by submission or Hammil by head kick (hell, he did it once before)

• Rich S. says:

I thought I did a pretty good job of categorizing them as “top guys at 205 that just can’t seem to beat the other top guys” instead of just “top guys at 205″..

Will either of them ever fight for the belt? I seriously doubt it.
    Do they both have the potential to? Hell yes.

Hamill has very strong wrestling with ever improving striking, but he crumbles under big names and big punches..

Jardine has hard, unorthodox strikes and a solid ground game.. But, he also has a glass chin that he just can’t really help..

Other than that they are very good fighters..

• blue says:

I am probably in the minority but I have no interest in this fight.

Hamill does not excite me and I would prefer the UFC to keep his fights on the undercards. As far as Jardine, in a sick and demented way, he excites me only because he seems to get finished in the grandest of fashion (Alexander and Silva come to mind).

I believe these Ultimate Fighter Finales are a great opportunity to expand the fan base of MMA by putting fighters with exciting styles on the card. I don’t think Hamill or Jardine meet that criteria.

• know_ledge1983 says:

Jardine is coming to an end of his career with the UFC….but it’s not b/c of his losses i say get rid of him it’s b/c of his uneventful performance. Wandy has lost numerous time in the UFC but keeps coming back b/c of his exciting style and willingness to put it all out there!

The only thing Jardine has shown as of late is an ape like fighting style that’s boring and the ability to knocked out in dramatic fashion. I would much rather see a fighter with great skill getting a lose in a decision then a fighter getting knocked out over and over agian!

Matt Hamill TKO round 2 due to strikes

• Kamakosmo says:

How long into this fight will we hear Joe R. exclaiming “Jardine’s fighting style is just soooo hirky (sp?) jerky and unpredictable”? “It’s just soooo hard to time him”. Man, we get it Joe! Let it go! LOL!
    I like Hammil, but it seems as if he’s forgotten his base (wrestling) and has turned into this “walk straight forward punching Rock’em Sock’em” fighter. He gets back to basics, and he takes this one.

• Snoop Dogg says:

loser goes home I hope. Not interested in either of these guys. I hope this fight is on the undercard.

Hope Hamill wins…Hope Jardine’s ugly ass goes somewhere…