Exclusive: Paul Buentello cut from UFC

Two-time heavyweight title challenger Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello has been left without a home as far as his mixed martial arts career is concerned, as FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned from sources close to the situation that the heavy handed thirty-six year old veteran has been released from the UFC.

Buentello’s dismissal from the UFC comes on the heels of a bizarre defeat suffered at the hands of Cheick Kongo during the inaugural “UFC on Versus” event where the veteran of nearly forty profefessional scraps wound up on the receiving end of a beatdown from Kongo that included a dislocated finger, knee strikes while downed, and ultimately some punishing elbow strikes to the thigh that forced the bout’s conclusion.

Buentello had challenged for the UFC heavyweight crown back in October of 2005, but wound up being flattened in lighting quick fashion at the hands of Andrei Arlovski. Buentello didn’t fare very much better in his next attempt at championship glory when “The Headhunter” wound up being TKO’d by Alistair Overeem for the Strikeforce strap in November of 2007.

A return to Strikeforce would seem unlikely at best in the near future for Buentello being that Strikeforce President Scott Coker made his opinion of the four-time Strikeforce vet quite clear during the previous parting of ways between fighter and promotion that took place in late 2009.

“We offered Paul a six-figure contract to fight Fedor, but he turned it down,” said Coker in a statement released in September of 2009. “His decision is understandable considering Fedor’s level of skill but, at the same time, Paul didn’t really fit into our plans. He’s been a solid journeyman fighter and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.”

Buentello entered the UFC on a two fight winning streak with a pair of wins over the likes of Gary Goodridge and “Baby Fedor”, Kirill Sidelnikov, but will be leaving with a pair of defeats suffered to Stefan Struve, and most recently, Kongo.

Tough SOB but time waits for no man…

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 2

Paul six figures to fight fedor and you said no??

Well-Done. Thumb up 31 Thumb down 4

• crane_style says:

Buentello gave hope to any soft, overweight dude who hoped they could win a fight without having to work up a sweat.

It’s almost unbelievable, if you compare the heavyweight division when “the Headhunter” got a title shot, and now. He’s the same pudgy dude who looks like your dad could take him out.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 25 Thumb down 23

• KTru says:

there goes my idea of him fighting Nelson next.

Buentello will now be fighting the Ricco Rodriguez’s and Jeff Monson’s in some remote midwestern shows

Well-Done. Thumb up 33 Thumb down 4

• diceman says:

Coker I am pulling for ya buddy, but why would you want to put a “solid journeyman” fighter up against the greatest heavyweight fighter EVER.

Who wins with this matchup? The fans? The fighters? Strikeforce?

Seems nonsensical to me. Considering the kind of cheddar that Fedor demands, you need to make the most of every matchup.

Hell I would have rather seen Fedor-Arlovski 2 than to see Fedor dismantle Buentello in under a round

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 7

• MCM says:

what choice did the UFC have really. When you HW division looks like it does now, there’s just no room for mediocre fighters that can’t win.

Well-Done. Thumb up 24 Thumb down 5

• Dufresne says:

Can’t really say I’m surprises by this, although I wish I was. I’ve always enjoyed The Headhunter and his brutal uppercuts.

The HW division is completely stacked right now with a huge amount of young tallent coming up as we speak. I just wish they had room for a mid to low tier gatekeeper like Paul.

Well-Done. Thumb up 21 Thumb down 2

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

• s13 says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 16

• Guthookd says:

Tough SOB but time waits for no man…  (Quote)

You got that right…and grappling skills don’t come without work.

• Guthookd says:

I have 0 respect now for Paul. I used to like the grit the dood would display but i now have 0 respect…hear that paul? 0 respect. Why? Let me explain. HOW can you be a fighter and not want to fight the best guy out there? He would have absolutely NOTHING to lose vs Fedor and can only look good. If he got crushed then hey…its Fedor. If he puts up a good showing on the other hand, his stock goes up…and what if…IF he landed that magical blow to the sweet spot on Fedor’s chin and won ( I know it wouldn’t happen but a fighter has to think about that). Not to mention he should know he’s not getting any big paydays anytime soon and he goes and turns down a fight with the number 1 guy for 6 figures?? Hey Coker, I’m almost fully recovered from my shattered tibia, i’ll gladly fight fedor for that money without hesitation just to see what my skill level is and what i’d need to work on just like any other REAL fighter would….I also think its not too far fetched to believe in yourself and think you can win…unlike paul “the coward” buentello.  (Quote)

If used paragraphs I’d read your posts man. The first sentence always sounds interesting, but then the moutain of words auto-scrolls me down to the next post.

• Guthookd says:

This is prolly for the better. Do you really see him surviving against any of the top HW guys? One well placed punch from some of those monsters and you wake up in the hospital.Maybe he will catch on someplace with lesser level of competition and can have a small amount of success maybe, help out some younger guys. He would never have gone anyplace in UFC with current level of talent.  (Quote)

I have an idea. M-1 Selection: Americas. He would probably dominate.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

He looked like some dude from a midwestern toughman tournament against Kongo. When you make Kongo look like a photo negative of Brock, you need to leave, seriously. You just got outwrestled by Kongo. If you can’t handle his ground game, what the hell are you going to do against Velasquez or Lesnar? Plus, since when can you call timeout in a fight because your pinky hurts? Vera should have just called timeout when Jones dislocated his face.

• rage says:

He has not been cut his manager said they have recieved no paperwork as off yet

• MMASwami says:

He has not been cut his manager said they have recieved no paperwork as off yet

Hopefully the UFC gives him another payday. He’s an entertainer fighter and genuinely nice person.

• inkythewinky says:

they should put him and all the other dudes they cut in wec, they might get some ppv revenue that way….. wec having 4-5 “stars” don’t make a 50$ ppv idea make sence…..

• rage says:

@inthewinky…. The shud put him and all the wec guys that got cut where?

• inkythewinky says:

i ment paul and the ufc cut dudes put all them in the wec

• LiverPunch says:

Jardine is 4-6 is his record over his last 10 and he has 3 losses in a row, Phil Baroni and Wanderlei are also 4-6 and Houston is 1-6. Chuck Lidell has lost 4 from 5. Leites was 7-3, so lets not pretend it is a win loss thing.

• diceman says:

The quality of competition matters when you start comparing win-loss records. I might give you Baroni and houston, but I will not give you Jardine, chuck, and Wandy.

Jardines past 10 opponents look like a top ten light heavy list. Wandy hasn’t faced any real slouches either. Ditto for Liddell.

Buentello has just lost to 2 mid tier heavys. And against Kongo he looked really overmatched. This is coming from someone who usually pulls for Paul. If he was a little younger I could see keeping him around, but it looks like he is done.