Bellator debut drastically boosts Fox Sports ratings

CHICAGO, Ill. (April 19, 2010) — Bellator Fighting Championships made its FOX Sports Net debut April 8th as FSN’s highest-rated national program on both Thursday and Sunday night. The Thursday premiere lifted the network’s prime time ratings by an impressive 60 percent compared to the same time period average in the 2nd Quarter of 2009. In addition, the Bellator 13 re-air was also up 57 percent from the 2nd Quarter time period average on Sundays.

Bellator 13 from the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla., was the highest-rated program nationally distributed by FSN on Thursday, April 8th and Sunday, April 11th.

The show was especially successful in attracting males under the age of 54 to the network. Bellator 13:

– Increased FSN’s Thursday night 18-34 male audience by 143 percent;

– Increased FSN’s Thursday night 18-49 male audience by 153 percent; and

– Increased FSN’s Thursday night 25-54 male audience by 180 percent.

Bellator also showed the ability to draw strong local ratings for individual FSN affiliates. For example, Bellator 13 drew a .85 local rating for FSN Pittsburgh, where the event aired live and in prime time.

“In our first week on FOX Sports Net, we were able to drive a substantial increase in viewership to the network nationally,” said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “We are confident that working with FSN, together we can significantly build upon this strong foundation. My focus from day #1 has been to produce and promote compelling, competitive tournament based MMA programming designed to appeal to MMA fans just like me. My belief is that our tournament format, combined with great fights, world class fighters and strong attention to production quality will continue to increase viewer support for our events on Fox Sports Net.”

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Bellator.

• Dufresne says:

Hopefully this means that FSN will actually show Bellator in the scheduled time slot instead of some crap baseball teams. Maybe next season will be put on an even more accessible channel. One can hope.

• Angry Mike says:

Excellent news for MMA and Bellator. I record these show on DVR, and don’t watch much on other Fox channels. Was there much promotional advertising for it?

• Hohlraum says:

The reason the Pittsburgh channel was so popular is because it was the ONLY national FSN station showing it in HD last week. If you have Dish for $5 bucks a month you can get the multi-sport package which includes all the national FSN stations. Unfortunately 90% of the live content is blacked out (NBA, MLB, etc). BUT you stand a good chance of getting to see Bellator in HD on at least ONE of the stations.

Hopefully this boost in ratings will make them show it on more HD FSN stations. Most of the time they aren’t even being used as the content is only in SD. FSN Wake TFU.

BFC!!!

• jj says:

I wish I could get Fox sports in Canada. It’s airing on The Score here and it has a 1 day delay, not to mention they have a super annoying ticker at the bottom of the screen that squashes the aspect ratio.

• hindsightufuk says:

great news for Bellator, amazing news for MMA

• jding3 says:

As much as I like Bellator these numbers are definitely a little deceiving. First off of course their ratings are up from last year because last year they were on ESPN Deportes, which has very limited demographics and is a channel not too many people receive. They have taken a major step in the right direction by getting a deal with FSN which is great because it is a channel that is way more accessible to viewers. It is also no surprise that it is the highest rated national show they have because other than regional sports coverage I have no idea what is even broadcasted on FSN. Regional sports programming is their primary income and cashcow but I am thrilled that they have signed a deal with Bellator to air fights, ofcourse we would all love for them to be aired live, but delayed fights are better than no fights. I don’t mean to sound negative about this article it’s just there is obvious reasons there ratings are up and they should be extremely worried if they were not. I am happy for Bellator that they are growing as a promotion I just don’t think this news is anything to jump up and down about.

• Dufresne says:

They’re not saying that BFC’s ratings are up from last year, they’re saying that FSN’s ratings are up 60% from their average Thursday nights…

• jding3 says:

Maybe I need to learn how to read then, my bad, but still not all that surprised their ratings are up that high because of Bellator

• Guthookd says:

When I looked and saw that my Comcast package didn’t include FSN I even contacted Comcast to see if it was showing on another channel. The guy told me NO…Bellator is not available in your area…period.

That night, after being super dissapointed, I decided to surf channels and I FOUND IT!!! It was airing live on CSNBA, which I believe is a Comcast channel! They didn’t even know it.

WTF? Comcast blows but Bellator is great.

• FightFan313 says:

One thing that would also help is if Comcast even KNEW that they were showing Bellator.When I looked and saw that my Comcast package didn’t include FSN I even contacted Comcast to see if it was showing on another channel.The guy told me NO…Bellator is not available in your area…period.That night, after being super dissapointed, I decided to surf channels and I FOUND IT!!!It was airing live on CSNBA, which I believe is a Comcast channel!They didn’t even know it.WTF?Comcast blows but Bellator is great.I am now a fan of Thursday nights…LOL. Maybe CBS should look at BFC now that SF is going to die.

Yeah MMA!!!!

• Guthookd says:

1. Comcast doesn’t blow.. The guy told you that FSN is not available in your area which has to do with ratings in your area. Comcast is not the tv guide. There are tools I listed in step 3 to help you find what you are looking for. 2. Comcast like any other provider gets the programs to you FROM the Network. The call center is designed for trouble with service, changing plans, ?’s about the service and moving service or cancellations. 3. Yes. Comcast Sports Net is Comcast channel but again, the call center is not to tell you what is on tv, they do not have any special list or tool that you don’t have already. Like the guide and title search option in your menu or just go to http://www.fancast.com/tv-listings then click on the sports to filter in just sports for that day or you can do a specific title search. So now you know that you have all the tools at your disposal to find the shows you are looking for.Yeah MMA!!!!  (Quote)

Actually, you’re wrong. I did a channel search on the Comast website and it was not listed anywhere. I also did a channel search on YahooTV for my Comcast package and it was not listed anywhere. And, the customer service guy DID tell me specifically that Bellator was not available and would not be broadcast!

I’m not stupid dude. I really wanted to see it and I searched every way possible. The only way I finally found it was looking on the menu option on my actual TV that night and looking ahead a few hours and searchign through all the channels.

And yes, Comast blows.

• Angry Mike says:

Did Comcast ever add HDNet? When I was a customer I called on a monthly basis asking them to add it. They didn’t. If they haven’t, I’d cite that as evidence to support the argument that Comcast blows. If they have added it, it’s compelling evidence that Comcast does not blow.

• Guthookd says:

Just to proove my point clicked on your link there and searched for it: NOTHING. Since I even know now what channel it’s on I looked at the specific channel (27) and IT IS NOT LISTED. So I guess you’re just an idiot for trying to call me out and prooving that you don’t know WTF you’re talking about.