WEC 48: Are you ready?

This weekend WEC is finally stepping out of the shadow of the UFC and putting on a pay per view card of its own. Since Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC, purchased WEC in 2006 it has used it primarily to showcase the fighters in the lower weight classes.

This has allowed Zuffa to maintain its MMA monopoly by tying up the best talent in the weight classes not currently covered by the UFC. However WEC is in danger of outshining the UFC in terms of both the talent at its disposal and the quality of fights on offer.

The lighter a fighter is the higher the pace they are able to set and the WEC has provided some classic back and forth battle. Many felt that Miguel Torres vs Yoshiro Maeda at WEC 34 was the 2008 fight of the year. Ben Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone at WEC 43 was also arguably the best fight of 2009.

This weekend’s card will be the most eagerly anticipated in WEC history. Headlining WEC 48 will be the featherweight bout between Jose Aldo and Uriah Faber. Faber is WEC’s golden boy and a former featherweight champion. Known as the California kid he will be fighting in front of his hometown crowd and looking to recapture the title he lost to Mike Brown in 2008.

Faber doesn’t just have the charisma and looks necessary to be an MMA poster boy, he also has the ability. However he will have his work cut out if he is to wrestle the belt away from Jose Aldo. Every single one of the Brazilian’s six WEC fights has ended in a stoppage win. He won the title courtesy of a surprise second round stoppage of Mike Brown last November.

Faber may be a submission specialist will not be expecting to easily submit Aldo who is himself a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt. Given his current run of KOs the Brazilian will probably look to keep the fight standing in search of a seventh consecutive stoppage.

There is another title on the line in the co main event as Henderson and Cerrone meet in a lightweight rematch. The first fight, which Henderson won by decision was a classic and further fireworks will be expected in the second installment. With the WEC’s lightweight division highly likely to be absorbed by the UFC in the near future both men will be looking to send a serious statement of content to the UFC’s existing lightweight roster.

A fight between former featherweight champion Mike Brown and TUF veteran Manvel Gamburyan is also an intriguing prospect. Despite his loss to Aldo Brown is still the number two ranked featherweight in the world and will be looking to get his career back on track with a win over Gamburyan. The Armenian reached the final of TUF 5 as a lightweight and holds a record of 2-2 in the UFC. He has won two fights out of two in WEC and looks a force to be reckoned with fighting at his natural weight.

It is fights of this caliber which persuaded Zuffa to make this the first ever WEC card to air on pay per view. Many are calling this the best MMA card of the year and when the 2010 fight of the year honors are eventually announced it would be a surprise if WEC 48 didn’t provide at least a couple of contenders.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Faber with a suprise UD win in a great fight.
    Henderson via TKO.
    Brown via TKO in another great fight.

• Bad Monkey says:

I think Mike Brown is going to put a serious beating on Manny.

• Guthookd says:

I pick Aldo by KO in the first round. He is just as fast as Faber but has way more to offer standing. Haven’t really seen his ground game, so I guess that’s Faber’s best chance.

I pick Henderson via UD similar to last time around. They are fairly equally matched so this should be another entertaining fight.

I pick Brown via TKO because Manny’s arm will not stay connected to his body long enough to actually fight (and I don’t mean Brown will pull it off….I mean Manny seems to have a recurring problem with his shoulder).

• Angry Mike says:

WEC and Zuffa better hope that Faber wins. The only reason that this card sold out was because it’s in Faber’s hometown. He’s still the face of WEC, and it could be trouble for the org. if he loses his third straight fight for the title.

• crane_style says:

It’d be nice to see an MMA event where it’s the fight that makes the news, not the other BS that goes on.

I don’t get why the UFC doesn’t just absorb the WEC completely. More weight classes = more potential for quality matches.

Think long term. Throw the up-and-comer’s on free TV/Fight Night, build up the fan base, and then only put the best of the best on PPV.

Dana? Hello? Dana?

• Dufresne says:

I’m looking forward to this card. I think Aldo has the potential to rule the FW division for a long time as long as he avoids injury. He out-powered Mike Brown, his standup is second to none, and if the rumors are true, his ground game is even more dangerous than his striking.

I’m having about 7 or 8 people over to watch this card, and they’ve all agreed to chip in $5, so even though I won’t be breaking even I can at least justify buying another MMA event this month since it’s only gonna end up costing me about $20.

• fanoftna33 says:

No way Benson TKO’s Cerrone! The Cowboy is tougher than a two dollar steak. I could see Ben submitting him though, should be an awesome fight.I think Mike Brown is going to put a serious beating on Manny.If I had known UFC 112 was going to suck so bad, I would’ve saved my money for this! As it is, I won’t be seeing it.  (Quote)

Great call bad monkey.