Fedor Emelianenko, M-1 Global and Strikeforce headed to Pay-Per-View

If all goes as planned for Fedor Emelianenko in his next outing, the Russian heavyweight widely believed to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport could serve to pave the way for Strikeforce and M-1 Global to cross over into the pay-per-view market.

Emelianenko will be facing off with Fabricio Werdum on Showtime from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California on June 26, but his next outing looks like it may be headed to PPV.

“Following this fight now we have one more fight on the cards,” said M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan in regards to Fedor’s future with Strikeforce in a recent conversation with MMAWeekly. “That’s the future for now, there’s one more fight following the June 26 fight and that fight is more likely than not on pay-per-view.”

While it’s possible fans will get the chance to see Emelianenko go at it with Alistair Overeem for the Strikeforce heavyweight crown in the near future, it’s impossible to pin down a specific date any time prior to June 26. First things first, and Fedor currently has a dangerous Brazilian veteran by the name of Fabricio Werdum directly in his cross-hairs to deal with in two weeks time.

“It depends on what happens during this fight,” said Kogan. “It depends on health issues, and whatever else following this fight. It depends also by other factors, so I don’t want to tell you something and not have it happen. It’s possible, it’s not unlikely, but I wouldn’t say I’d guarantee that it happens in 2010.”

• Guthookd says:

A Strikeforce PPV? I guess I can spare $5.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 29 Thumb down 26

• sides666 says:

I have a hard time getting excited for this fight, i really like fedor but he continues to fight second tier fighters one after another from arlovski to rogers and now werdum. His first fight should have been against overeem end of story. What i am wondering is whether strikeforce is tryinng to baby him, m1 is trying to baby him or is it that the last emperor himself is dodging the quality fighters. I would have prefered him going to the ufc but he chose not to i can accept that. I dont know what else tosay

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 23 Thumb down 26

• twyg says:

If they want me to buy this the production value better be top notch. It had better be Fedor vs. Oveream. They should throw in crowning a new MW champ, because sheilds will be gone by the time this happens. Give me cyborg defending her strap, and now we are talking a card worth like $30 max.

Well-Done. Thumb up 33 Thumb down 4

• twyg says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 5 Thumb down 17

• MickeyC says:

I read somewhere that Fedor only has one more fight on his SF contract. They are probably worried that if they gave him overeem and Fedor wins he may take the belt and jump ship. I do not know if there is any truth to this. But it would explain. They may want to use the shot as insentive to sign another multi fight deal. I would still like to see Fedor go to the UFC after SF, but I think Fedor may be reluctant to be tested by what Dana has to offer. Again only an opinion.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 9

• MCM says:

I don’t think Overeem is PPV worthy, and I know a lot of people will jump on my ass for saying this (Liverpunch, I’m looking at you) but I don’t think Fedor is PPV worthy anymore either.

How can this be a good business deal for Strikeforce? If they do have their first PPV with Fedor, and it won’t go off flawlessly cause they never do the first time, and Fedor and Overeem go at it and Fedor gets the belt….What happens to his contract with Strikeforce? Does M1 now effectively own the Strikeforce HW belt? Has any organization lasted with Fedor as their champion? How much will M1 demand for Fedors next PPV and will those greedy snakes wind up bankrupting Strikeforce?

I like Strikeforce. I was pissed when they signed Fedor cause I knew that there was the possibility/likely hood that they were gonna fail if he got their belt. Please, Please Coker. Don’t put a guy with only one fight left on his contract in line for a title shot. And please stay away from the PPV arena, I’d like to see you stick around awhile.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 12

• Dufresne says:

I’m curious as to how well it will do ratings wise. I know the numbers for Fedors’ last SF fight were astronomical in Russia (according to the Russians granted) but the numbers here in the US weren’t that impressive, especially considering it was a free card.

I’m also worried due to the latest CBS SF card. I think they got like 2.5 million viewers, trailing behind COPS if I remember correctly, on one of the biggest networks in the nation. Unless the overseas market is really going to pick up the slack I don’t see this being a very wise business decision.

• AR15 says:

Sounds to me like, since M1 & SF have 2 more fights left on Fedors contract. Fedor’s being handed another outdated “Big Name” to walk though. Now unless hell freezes over & Werdum pulls off a crazy upset. Fedor WILL fight for the title ONLY because it’ll be the last fight of his contract. Now if he does get the belt, M1 will have SF by the balls & Fedor will be using them for speed bags until they runs SF to the ground.

• TerribleT says:

OK I can see Fedor vs. Overeem along with at least 2 other STRIKEFORCE championship bouts as a PPV event but what will STRIKEFORCE have to offer that is PPV worthy after this? They ‘re gonna blow their wad as far as PPV goes on this one fight in my opinion. What else can they possibly put together that is worth paying $40 to $50 bucks for?

• Creature says:

Now im just thinking out loud here but why not give hendo a chance 2 redeem himself as fedors last fight? hendo has fought heavyweight before and called out fedor, hendo is definitely a very popular fighter and when put in there with fedor id definitely pay 2 see it, and even tho hendo is better at MW and LHW i think he would test fedor in every area. and i dont anyone could say hendo is a hass been just cuz of 1 loss with shields. id love 2 see fedor get bispinged lol

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 6

• mu_shin says:

I think some of us might be thinking a little narrowly about this concept, perhaps a little too focused on strictly the US market.

Emelianenko is a well known athlete obviously in Russia, but also in Europe and Japan. I don’t know the ins and outs of the international PPV business, and what hoops Strikeforce and M-1 Global would have to jump through to connect with that revenue stream, but just consider what the numbers could be if a SF/M-1 PPV was made available internationally. 200,000 PPV buys is a modest success here in the US, but at $50 a pop that’s 10 Million dollars… If they’re able to market across the US, but also into Russia, Europe and Japan, if there are enough interested viewers in all those aggregate markets, it seems to add up pretty well.

For those of us here in the US, I think most of us believe the best competition for Fedor would be in the UFC, but we’ve witnessed the business baloney that has transpired around that idea, and don’t hold a lot of hope that we’ll see that eventuality. Next best thing could be a stronger second string promotion, and with more revenue from successful PPV, Strikeforce might be able to develop some better talent, possibly giving us more and better fights to watch in the future.

• LiverPunch says:

If the promotion had
    Jacre vs Lawler
    Fedor vs Overeem
    Diaz, Cyborg and Aoki perhaps. It would be worth the money.

Werdum is 4-1 from his last 5, with wins over Bigfoot, Vera and Gonzaga, Arlovski was 5 from 5 with wins over Nelson, Rothwell and Werdum, Rogers 5 from 5, Overeem will be 5 from 5 if it happens. All are top 10 and some top 5 (including Sylvia) when they will fight or have fought Fedor. But still you say he fights “has beens” and 2nd tier fighters. You are not making sense. He will have fought a higher calibur of fighters than Mir, Lesnar, Carwin, Dos Santos, Valasquez, etc. Look it up. Look at A. Silva’s last opponents Lutter, Leites, Cote, Maia, Irvin, Leben etc. are they any better than Fedors last Few years. You accept that because he is in the UFC but will jump on anything to knock Fedor. Why?.No he doesn’t fight in the UF fucking C. Get over it and grow up He wont sign the contract and the UFC wont let it’s fighters fight him O.K… O.K.!!!!!? But he does and has fought all of the top fighters out of the UFC with the only 2 exceptions being Kharitonov and Barnett and we know why he didn’t fight Barnett.I mean some of the same guys knocking him here were claiming he was ducking Overeem by fighting a higher ranked fighter who holds a win over Alistair. Yeah your logic is outstanding.You all protest about Fedor not going to the UFC but never do you protest about the UFC stopping it’s fighters from fighting the best. Think about it. The UFC stops it’s fighters from fighting the No.1 through court cases and you say nothing but attack Fedor for not signing. WTF?.He just wont sign the exclusive contract and like I said, the UFC takes legal action to STOP it’s best from fighting him.
    I don’t know why I bother. Back to the PPV. Melendez vs Alverez, or even Aleks or Mousasi Mo, Lashley, Manoef, some dream dudes, Tim Sylvia or some WVR and Bellator dudes may feature.THEY CO-PROMOTE!!!!!! and probably know what they are doing.
    Let the negatives roll in kids.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 9

• LiverPunch says:

Isn’t 115 a PPV? if you think that SF, M1 and it’s co-promotion partners can not put together a better card than that …

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 12

SF can put together the best card of the year (let’s pretend) and put it on PPV… And it could very well be worthy of being a PPV, but the problem is who is buying it?? These guys don’t know how to promote a card on network / cable TV how in the world are they going to get enough buyrates to be able to break even or make a profit?? I really hope this is just talk because if not it could very well be the end of SF finacially… And before all the retards come out to play, let me just say Fedor can not carry a PPV on his back as far as buyrates go… He’s not exactly the talker or the most charismatic person. I’ll give it to Coker and Co. they got high hopes…Nice to see they overlook there June card to leak this news.

• blue says:

This is another glaring reason why co-promotions suck, because promoters are only interested in making money and growing their market share…and that is exactly what this article verifies. M-1 is is going to try (with the media and this article) and pressure Strikeforce to commit to a title fight with Fedor’s last co-promotion fight.

The end-game for M-1 is for Fedor to have the WAMMA & Strikeforce HW Championship belts but not be committed to fight under the Strikeforce banner. This would be akin to a one-sided divorce settlement where Strikeforce is left with almost nothing.

For the posters whom compare other promos fight cards to what SF will put together your not getting the fact that this is a business- SF has no brand image they barely have any loyal fan base and they don’t promote or build themselves up… So they very well could put together one hell of a card but there’s no advertising or excitement for casual fans or new fans to splurge and buy the PPV… Yea the UFC could put together a half ass PPV and ppl will still buy it because of the effort they put into attracting there target market to want to purchase the card, the fact that they promote the shit out of the ppv up
    to 5 minutes before it starts… I think like 25% of the buyrates for each ppv is probably new fans that got pulled in by promotion and advertising. Look bottom line I want SF to be better than they are and that’s just never happening…I’m lookin at all this from a business stand point not just as a fan. I’m calling it now- SF ppv will be countered by a free UFC presentation and the rest will be history.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 2 Thumb down 14

Hmmm…some comments are about as pathetic and misdirected as BP’s clean up efforts in the gulf of Mexico.

• ctownhood says:

You know the UFC will counter with a free, live event on Spike or Versus..and crush any hope for SF.

• Jak says:

SF: Nashville was a great looking paper card and it was one of the worst of the year and it had 3 title fights.

going to have to have more then Overeem/Fedor to get my money.

• Dufresne says:

If they put Lawler and Diaz on a card together you can garuntee I’ll buy it, regardless of the promotion.

I do have to agree with most folks here in saying that SF has absolutely shot itself in the foot with their marketing strategies. They promoted the crap out of the Fedor/Rogers card and did pretty well considering that the mainstream markets are new to MMA in general and most people, including a lot of newer MMA fans, had never even seen or heard of either of the headliners. Then they do SF Nasville which on paper looked to be a legendary card and I don’t remember seeing commercials more than 2 days in advance; and as a result the viewership sucked.
    Not to be just another UFC groupie here, but SF could really learn from the UFC about marketing.
    As a pretty enthusiastic MMA fan I have been fairly apathetic about most of the UFC cards this year on paper. But they put on countdown shows, commercials every break they can squeeze them in, and even put the weighins on tv and by the end I’m salavating about even the least exciting fights on the card and as a result have no second thoughts abought forking over $45 to see them. It’s just simple saturation marketing, but they do it so well. .

• Creature says:

Ok i just have a question 4 liverpunch, ur telling all of us 2 grow up 4 stating our oppinions but ur sitting here freakin the hell out on everyone whining like a little kid, why? i think u need 2 grow up a little bit, ok we get it u like fedor and ur oppinion is different then alot of ppl on here, that doesnt mean u gotta start acting like a little immature kid just cuz of that, chill out man

Don’t bother he’s a mongoloid…I think the politically correct term is
    developmentally disabled… or as fat jesus says in the movie The Hangover he is a Re’ Tard.

• Niv says:

Well guys I’m one of those that agree with what Liver Punch says regarding Fedor and the unfair criticisms brought against him. He’s absolutely right about the criticism levied about his opponents and the over inflation of UFC fighters achievments. He’s also correct when he gives examples of how the UFC is the main culprit from giving fans the fights they want to see. They stopped Randy Couture from fighting Fedor, and they have Anderson Silva in a bind regarding his desire to box Roy Jones Jr.

Fedor is the most unique fighter in mma and should be applauded for what he does. He’s the lone fighter who has made a name big enough to attract a contract of part ownership of a promotion that should have him set for life after fighting.

The UFC deal will never happen not because Fedor is scared of, or ducking fights (assumptions that are simply ridiculous) but because the UFC will never part with certain controls.

Controls such as the Champions clause that no-one ever touched on when the mysterious $30,000,000 bogus contract was discussed at nauseum. No-one asked what effect does it potentially have for a part owner of his own promotion, being potentially locked up forever by another organization if he is champion when his contract expires? The Champion’s clause automatically renews a fighters contract even after it expires if you are holding a belt, anyone see an issue here?

How about likeness rights? No-one has brought up if the UFC was willing to surrender ownership of likeness rights and video. Would the UFC allow video of Fedor beating up UFC fighters(including the Champ) in the UFC for his own promotion after he’s done with the organization? If not as expected would the UFC own Fedor’s video rights? Anyone see issues on that one?

There’s too many issues here that really make the Fedor, UFC relationship unlikely. Personally I hope they hash it out one day and he goes there, but Fedor is blazing a trail that many fans hate, but ultimately every mma fighter will applaud one day.

Fedor is the lone guy that is making promotions have to at least look at compromise with their fighters that could one day lead to better pay for all, and possibly better contracts with fewer restrictions.

• stone says:

S.F. Can get my 50 PPV dollars 1 way and 1 way only! Throw everything but the kitchen sink at me! I want Diaz, Lawler, Fedor, Melendez, Le, Cyborg n Carano! But yep… At least SF fighters FINISH FIGHTS!

• bigbadjohn says:

i agree, theyve gotta throw a pretty decent card at the fans for their first PPV. but their last big ‘hurrah’ on CBS had all 3 title fights go 5 rounds so I dont know about that last comment about SF fighters finishing fights, Fedor excluded becuse if hes as great as most believe I expect stoppages with his lack of competition.

• stone says:

Big Bad John you schooled me!… I was totally talkin out my ass! LMFAO! But usually the SF fighters seem a lil more “hungry”… Hell at times “STARVING”!