Dana White ‘guarantees’ Chuck Liddell’s UFC career has ended

UFC President Dana White has guaranteed that Chuck Liddell will never again fight in the octagon following his first-round knockout loss to Rich Franklin at UFC 115. White, speaking with MMAFighting.com after the event, insisted his long time friend would now hang up the gloves for good.

“I thought Chuck looked great right up until it ended but I guarantee you that tonight was the last time” said White.

Despite dominating the majority of the bout with some vintage striking, Liddell was caught by a crisp Franklin lead hook late in the first round. The 40-year old former champion’s weakened chin abandoned him again as he suffered his third straight knockout defeat. Once widely regarded as the world’s best light heavyweight, he’s now dropped five of his last six fights.

Liddell is yet to make a formal announcement regarding his future.

• king mah mah says:

Being a Liddell fan it’s really hard to admit it, but yeah it’s probably time to finally hang it up.

It sucks too because he looked pretty damn good until he got caught AGAIN! You could really tell that he trained as hard as they described and looked like he was in really great shape.

If only the ref knew Rich’s arm was broken beforehand, the bout would have ended TKO in Liddell’s favor! LOL

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 8

• Guthookd says:

Damn it.

• trupert says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 8

• manny says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 25

• bigbadjohn says:

Haha manny.. youre getting ‘down thumbs’ just because you said you werent a fan of Chuck. everything you said there was true but NOPE you werent unrealistically optimistic so your opinion SUCKS. … and i hope my sarcasm is noted

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 13

• kentuckyfightfan says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 6

• Dufresne says:

Franklin may not be known for his power, but accuracy counts more than anything and he’s got that in spades. That shot hit Chuck rite in the mouth/chin. Plus, Chuck was running forward and leaned into that hook which dramatically adds to the power.
    And I don’t know where you saw Chuck looking slow, he looked like he was moving pretty good from my couch.

All that said, I also think it’s time to hang up the blue shorts. He’s lost his mystique, he’s lost his chin, and if he eats many more of those shots he risks losing his health. Dana has said before that he was retiring Chuck, but this time I think it’s for real. The only fight I can picture him doing at this point is Tito 3, and there’s really no point since he won the first two.

He proved on TUF that he’s a hell of a coach; I really think that’s the career he needs to pursue at this point.

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 1

• LiverPunch says:

Bye Chuck. Thanks for the memories.

P.S. I’ve blacked out the last 3-4 years of memories.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 1

What did DW say chucks office title would be?
    Director of Fun? Or something? Yeah I think that sounds Like a hell of a great gig, go for it chuck!

• Screenplaya says:

If you like MMA, then you have to love Chuck. If you like Chuck, then you must want him to hang up the gloves. He got into wicked shape, was kicking Rich’s behind, but his chin failed him. You can’t fix that in the gym. He prepared and brought all that he could to that fight.

Chuck has nothing more to prove, and no need to endanger himself. I hope we have seen the last of Chuck in any ring.

• manny says:

bigbadjohn- I choose who to like & not to like. get over it Chuck got KTFO! Bring those thumbs down…..

Keep’m coming..

kentuckyfightfan – No franklin punch was not hard, even if it split his lips. (lol) Rashad Evans punch was hard. IDIOT!

I see more coming..

Dufresne- I agree w/ u, not hard but acurrate is was broke the ice.

& finally, one last thumb down..

Screenplaya – I like MMA BUT I do NOT like Chuck “highlight reel” liddell. He needs to retire cuz i can make a highlght reel of when he get KTFO.

• AR15 says:

“There is no way that Dana will pass on a Liddell v Tito Ortiz fight early next year.”

Oh yes he will. Tito sucks balls & would probably pull out AGAIN anyway due too…whatever his mind can pull out his ass again. So Dana would be left in another F’d up situation. Who else you think Dana would let Liddell fight? Anyone worth paying for would another ice pick in the Iceman, like a Jon “Bones” Jones or a Thiago Silva. Put some like a Brian Stann or a Steve Cantwell to fill in for Tito & no one is gonna pay for that. Not only that but Chuck WOULD get KO’d by either of those two.

Thanks for the memories Chuck, but I think its time to start enjoying retirement

“Franklin’s punch wasn’t that hard? Uh… Did you see the gap where Chuck’s lip use to be together? Split it wide open. Don’t know about you, but if someone gets hit hard enough to rip their lip open, I’d say that’s a pretty hard shot.”

Ummm…no. Franklin’s punch that sent Chuck to the floor wasn’t hard. The right hand that followed when Chuck was on his back, was hard. If you watch it in slow motion, you can see his lip was still intact after the right hook. The lip slits after the shot on the ground. Franklin’s elbow looks like it may have slid up and got a piece of Liddell’s lip as well…idk. And for the record, it does NOT take a hard punch to slit a lip. Considering your lip is being smash by two solid objects, a fist(w/ or w/out 5 oz gloves) & your teeth(w/ or w/out a mouthpiece) doesnt take much power for soft tissue to split, however it does take a perfectly placed shot if little or no power is behind it.