Are You Ready: “Strikeforce: Fedor vs Werdum”

Strikeforce: Fedor vs Werdum has few of the makings of a classic. From top to bottom there is very little to capture the imagination in this card. Fedor Emelianenko is obviously the main attraction but it takes two to make a fight interesting and there is little in the record of FabricioWerdum, who has lost four out of his last 11 fights, to suggest he is going to unduly trouble ‘The Last Emperor’.

Fedor has shown an increasing tendency to take punishment in his recent victories but it would be a major surprise if the most dominant heavyweight on the planet were to fail where the likes of Andrei Arlovski and Junior Dos Santos have succeeded.

Fedor’s retirement is rumoured to be imminent and Alistair Overeem is the only remaining credible opponent not contracted to the UFC. Overeem is riding an eight fight win streak and, unlike Werdum, has earned his shot at Fedor. The sooner Strikeforce matches these two heavyweights together the better. Although Fedor will be a strong favourite against Overeem this should at least be a competitive fight whereas the bookmakers think that Fedor will have no difficulty in dispensing of the challenge of Werdum and I am inclined to agree with them.

There are many MMA fans who feel that any card featuring Fedor is worth a watch but those that have grown disillusioned with the Russian since his refusal to sign with the UFC are unlikely to tune in purely on the strength of the remainder of the card.

The co-main event features a women’s world title match between Jan “Cuddles” Finney and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos. If you thought the main event looked a bit one sided check out the odds for this fight, you could get 15/1 on Finney to win.

Finney may have won her last four fights but prior to that she had lost seven out of her previous nine. Cyborg may have lost her first ever MMA fight but she went on to win the next nine deposing the previously unbeaten Gina Carano in the process. I suspect Finney is going to be on the wrong side of a bad beating and I personally am not particularly interested in seeing it happen.

Scott Smith vs. Cung Le II is one the few redeeming fights on this card. Le was dominating Smith in their first meeting until Smith somehow scored a surprise knock out in the third and final round. Le had been out of action for over 18 months and could have been excused a little ring rust going into this fight. He is unlikely to make the same mistake twice and will be looking finish Smith as soon as possible to avoid being on the wrong end of another unlikely comeback.

I think that Le is one of the most talented mixed martial artists on the planet but unfortunately he came into the sport a little too late to leave a truly indelible impression on it. Wrestlers might be able to continue fighting MMA at an elite level into their 40s but wrestling is very much strength based and strength is the last thing to desert an aging fighter.

Cung Le is primarily a stand up fighter and his game is far more reliant on speed. Aged 38, and with his acting commitments seemingly taking precedent over his fight career, I suspect Le’s MMA career will soon be coming to a premature end. I still think he has plenty to offer Strikeforce and I expect him to redeem the only loss of his career against Smith.

Former lightweight champion Josh Thomson will be looking to get his career back on track against Pat Healy after losing his title to Gilbert Melendez late last year. Getting past Healy will be no easy task, he is a hugely experienced veteran who holds wins over Carlos Condit, Paul Daley and Dan Hardy. Healy was a late replacement but he is riding a three fight win streak and will be looking to put himself firmly in the title picture with a win over Thomson.

“Strikeforce: Los Angeles” was not on paper a particularly promising card but still provided more than its fair share of entertainment. Perhaps the latest installment of the Strikeforce series will also prove to be greater than the sum of its parts but given the sort of matchmaking on offer, I seriously doubt it.

Good thing it’s free…

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 5

• bigbadjohn says:

Call me the luckiest guy around, I just made a $50 bet on Fedor with a work peer. Is it crooked that my peer knows very little of MMA and took the bet strictly because Werdum has beaten Aleksander Emelianenko? am i taking advantage of this fine gentleman?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 12

John calling him a gentlemen doesn’t make up for fucking him… next time atleast use the lube.
    : )

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 1

• Fedor should win this easily as should Thomson.

A lot is being made of Jan Finney’s size and it being comparable to the Cyborg’s but she doesn’t have the skill to win a stand-up war with the champ.

Scott Smith/Cung Le II is the rematch no one, save for Le and his handlers, demanded. Le got clowned the first time around, showing he was more interested in throwing fancy kicks than winning an MMA fight. I don’t think he makes the same mistake again though so kudos to Smith for getting a rubber match inked into the contract.

• Guthookd says:

Hey John, that bet is cool as long as you pay the 15-1 odds if you loose. Not sure how it works as I do not gample but $50 X 15 = $750!! Ouch.

Can’t wait to see the LQ version of this debacle. I love Cyborg but she just can’t motivate me to order Showtime for her alone…..unless maybe she was in an episode of “The Devil Wears Nada” LOL.

• bigbadjohn says:

I wouldnt feel as bad if the bet actually had odds, but its just straight up 50 bones. but REALLY, who would make such an uninformed wager, solely based on how a figter matched up against another fighter’s brother? A rube named Kyle at my work, thats who.

• danw84 says:

Cyborg naked?

Guthookd, what is wrong with you?

• bigbadjohn says:

And whats with this Sexyama backing out of 116 talk? get on it 5ounces!

• Guthookd says:

Danw84 – Yeah buddy. That’s my kinda girl right there. I have yet to meet anyone else who thinks she’s hot, but I’m in love. Sorry Evangalista…no disrespect intended.

• Angry Mike says:

• Guthookd says:

Any Comcast people who don’t have Showtime, I just talked to them and you can get it for $10/month, but you can also order it on Saturday and cancel it the next day and they only bill you like $2. Once ordered, it takes 15-30 to start watching the channel.

If I’d have known that I probably would have got all the past Strikeforce events. Busy this weekend, but I’m on it for next time.

• bigbadjohn says:

Ya theres just something about the way the stage lights make the sweat glimmer on her rock hard pecs that makes me wanna (try to) slip in a rear naked choke on her all night long

• Dufresne says:

Y’all are some deeply, deeply disturbed people…

• danw84 says:

“Call me a contrarian, but Josh Barnett isn’t signed to UFC, and he’s a more credible opponent for Fedor than Werdum”

I don’t know if I’d describe Barnett as “credible.”

A tougher fight, maybe, but credible?

• nothing_shank says:

Bigbadjohn,

Leben sexyama is still on. Sexy was just bitching to a korean mag because he was pissed that Wandy pulled out. He didn’t think the fight was high-profile enough to move up into title contention. He’s gotten over all his own drama, and has signed to fight the crippler. Hope I’ve answered your question.

• James Goyder says:

I agree that barnett is more credible than werdum, in my article i actually say Alistair Overeem is the only remaining credible opponent not contracted to the UFC’

I don’t think Werdum is a credible opponent because he has lost too many of his recent fights and I don’t think Barnett is a credible opponent because he already had hic chance to fight fedor and he blew it and took an entire show down with him by using PED’s. I don’t see why he should get a second chance.

• LiverPunch says:

No Werdum winning against Overeem, Big foot, Gonzaga, Vera, Kyle and Fedor’s brother in the last few years and being higher in the rankings than Overeem at the time the fight was organized, doesn’t earn him a shot. Overeem not defending his title for 2 years and fighting cans overseas and having a sub top 10 ranking in 90% of polls at the time the Werdum fight was organized does though. By the way Overeem has lost 5more times in the time period it has taken Werdum to lose those 4.

• LiverPunch says:

more not 5more. Sorry.

• Madmax says:

I hope Werdum chokes Fedor’s balls off, and ends his overated career!

• Angry Mike says:

I’m not defending Barnett, especially after the Affliction debacle. My point is that he’s a better match up for Fedor than Werdum, and the best non-UFC match up. And that’s different than saying Barnett would win, which I’m not saying.

• danw84 says:

Fair enough, and I agreed that he is a better fight for Fedor, but as far as credibility goes, if Barnett wins everyone would just chalk it up to him juicing.

• LiverPunch says:

I would love to see Barnett against SF dudes. I think it will happen too. I would love to see Aleks also. I hope those 2 get clearance to fight stateside soon. I forgave Barnett a couple of years ago. I just want to see him fight against good fighters again. Bring him in from the cold. So he got done for PI drugs for a 2nd time (it is not 3 times like a lot of haters try so hard to say, he failed a retest on the 2nd offense)

P.S. Aleks is trimmer and looking better than ever recently. He is down to about 108 kgs. That is only about 225-230 I think. Less than his bro and at the mid 6 foot range.

• elsicilian says:

“Call me the luckiest guy around, I just made a $50 bet on Fedor with a work peer. ” – bigbadjohn

I can think of a couple of things to call you, but “the luckiest guy around” probably isn’t one of them …