Alistair Overeem vs. Ricco Rodriguez set for DREAM.15

A heavyweight fight between Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem and former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez is on-tap for DREAM.15. The heavyweight bout is the fifth fight announced for the promotion’s July card.

The news of the bout comes courtesy of a recent report at MMAJunkie.com.

“The Demolition Man” demolished another victim in his last fight as he steamrolled though Brett Rogers with little resistance in his first title defense since defeating Paul Buentello in 2007. The victory was his eighth in nine fights, seven of which have ended in the first round. His only blemish since the title win was a no-contest against Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at Dream 6, a fight that saw numerous groin shots spoil the contest between the two.

Rodriguez is still on the comeback trial and has shown remarkable poise facing and overcoming substance abuse issues while slimming down significantly over the last year. Riding a seven fight winning streak, Rodriguez holds victories over Andrei Arlovski, Jeff Monson and Randy Couture. If Rodriguez can manage to pull off an upset or be competitive with Overeem, it should get the notice of a promotion like the UFC, Strikeforce or even Bellator for their upcoming heavyweight tournament.

DREAM.15 will go down on July 10 from the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

• Angry Mike says:

I haven’t seen a Rodriguez fight since he lost to Silva in EliteXC in 2008, and he was in poor condition. Unless he’s really stepped up his training, Overeem will destroy him. Overeem has to be a prohibitive favorite even if Rodriguez is seriously training. Surely Dream could’ve found a better opponent for Overeem.

I know Ricco Suave is most likely past his prime but apparently the guy is in great shape considering his previous weight issues and he’s been winning even though it may not be top competition he’s still doing his thing… I like Ricco- I really felt for him when going through the substance issues and seeing him on Celeb Rehab and what not… So as much as I figure Overeem will get the win, something tells me Ricco is going to bring his “A” game hoping to make the most of a high profile fight…He’s very much the underdog and rightfully so but I think if Overeem thinks he’s walking though Rodriguez he may be in for a surprise…. plus he’s a fellow native staten islander, so i gotta stick with him!

Reality= Overeem via tko
    Wishful thinking= Ricco via sub probably an arm bar

• MickeyC says:

Ricco is mt boy, I have been a long time fan, even after he throttled his wife. That being said I would have to go with Overeem, but would love to see Ricco come prepared.

• MCM says:

Strikeforce HW champ fighting in Japan……it begins again.
    Looks like Fedor will get his rematch cause there is no one else for Werdum to fight. ;)

I hope Ricco can pull this one off. He’s gone 14-3 since losing to Bigfoot in ExC. and although most have been cans, there were some decent fighters he’s beaten in that time. His last 4 wins have come by way of (T)KO, but I’m hoping he plays it smart and tries to take this one to the gound.

• hindsightufuk says:

not an easy fight for Overeem. I’m another who has been a fan of Ricco for some time – awesome grappler. Plus he’s been busy as fuck; 4 fights already this year, 5 last year. I gotta take Ricco for the upset.

• Rich S. says:

Even if Ricco is in good condition, I still find it hard to believe that he’ll have the kind of power needed to drag Alistair down and keep him down.. Sure, leverage helps in getting someone down as well, but I think Alistair will be cautious of the takedown.. Gotta take him via TKO..

I will root for Ricco though, I suppose I always have..

• nate says:

nope. not happenin anymore. probably won’t fight for dream anymore.

• Dufresne says:

Just looked at Ricco’s record and to be honest the only win since Couture in 2003 I recognize is Scott Junk. And he’s not exactly a world beater. I do recognize most of his losses. He’s lost to guys like Wiuff, Monson, Rothwell, Big Nog, and Big Foot. There’s not a lot of shame in losing to most of them. All together, since Tim Sylvia, his losses have come to opponents who share a combined record of 222-66. That’s pretty impressive when you consider that only 2 of those guys have losses in the double digits (Wiuff and Monson).

Even with those impressive numbers and names, I still think he loses here. His losses have come against some great opponents, but since 2003 his wins have been against virtual no-bodies.

Overeem via TKO Round 1. (And then another 2 year layoff)

• Kamakosmo says:

This should show you just how ridiculously handcuffed, and unfortunately lame Strikeforce is. Lets let our biggest name behind Fedor (sorry Werdum…enjoy the belt while you can) once again leave country to fight, and possibly get injured. Strikeforce is a business, just like any other. It’s in the business of making money…NO OTHER REASON. Letting your #2 leave to fight overseas again means you are losing money. Whoever in Strikeforce allowed this contract to be signed, should be fired immediately.

• stone says:

RiccoSuave all the way here… I think this guys on a serious comeback! The 1st UFC I ever saw was him and Randy at 39… Been a Ricco fan every since! I think his grapple/GnP technique will work… Reems bottom game aint good enuff!