Brock Lesnar: Gonna watch some Direct TV, drink Bud Light, and ride my Harley

A much cooler, calmer and more respectful Brock Lesnar showed his face last evening following his come from behind strangulation of the previously undefeated Shane Carwin during the main event of UFC 116 in Las Vegas.

Gone was the brash, controversial Lesnar who stalked the cage following his previous outing, flipping off fans and disrespecting sponsors, and in his place stood a level-headed athlete showing the sort of class and charisma many have come to expect from a champion.

Lesnar had previously dissed UFC affiliate Bud Light following his UFC 100 mauling of Frank Mir, and more recently took a light-hearted jab at Direct TV during the pre-fight press conference leading up to UFC 116. However, when asked how he planned to celebrate folowing his victory over Carwin, Lesnar had UFC President Dana White grinning from ear to ear with his statements.

“I’m gonna go home and watch some Direct TV, drink Bud Light, and ride my Harley Davidson,” said Lesnar immediately following UFC 116.

And while Stephan Bonnar, who TKO’d Krzysztof Soszynski two fights prior to Lesnar’s showdown with Carwin, went on record to describe the sensatuion he received from fighting on the card as being “better than sex” during the post-fight press conference to UFC 116, Brock would tend to disagree.

“I don’t know if it’s better than sex… it’s great. It’s right up there. I really enjoy it,” said the UFC Heavyweight Champion, keeping it real following Bonnar’s candid remark.

• bigbadjohn says:

Brock has changed. He really let his guard down at the press conference and it’s a side we’ve never seen from him. Crackin jokes, and throwing out respect and many thank-yous to his team. Could the Dark Lord, one day become a fan favourite?

Well-Done. Thumb up 30 Thumb down 6

• Dufresne says:

I think a lot of the crazy antics he displayed after mauling Mir had to do with all the pre-fight hype and trash talk coming from Mir and from the fact that he was already pissed that he had lost to him once. Brock isn’t the kind of guy that’s used to losing in real competition. He only got beat 6 times in his collegiate wrestling career, and I can bet he was more than a little upset about that.

I also think that the sickness played a big role in his changed demeanor. I know there was a lot of hype about how he may never fight again, and some of that is definitely from the UFC hype machine, but in all reality a severe case of diverticulitis can actually kill you and even if it doesn’t it can severely limit your physical capabilities. None of know how severe his case was as it is all covered by HIPAA privacy laws, but there was probably at least a grain of truth at the root of all the show.

I’m prone to believe that the combination of being slapped by reality, getting an earful for his antics from Dana (and possibly from the sponsors, who knows?), and the continuing support from his family, camp, and doctors may have really made him rethink things.

Well-Done. Thumb up 30 Thumb down 3

• FightFan313 says:

As of now I am a fan turned. I like this Brock and think that Carwin Brock 2 will be a different outcome. Brock has to improve on his boxing. Shane knows what happened in this fight. Brock was not going to hang on the feet and no way now how will Brock improve his stand up or ability to take a punch within the next year….Brock didn’t like getting hit and that isn’t something that can be tought . Brock really crumbled and not just crumbled but went into the foetal position. Somebody with stamina would have really put a whoop’n on Brock. Props to Brock, he weathered the storm and won me over with his humbled classiness.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 18

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’m inclined to agree with Dufresne, his post-fight tirade after UFC 100 was spurred on by listening to Mir run his yap for several months.

He didn’t act like a fool after Randy or Herring. He is always a bit cocky but, nothing any worse than the likes of Leben or Koscheck. A little boasting after a big win is ok. He has lost to Mir by a fluke and inexperience and then have to listen to Mir rattle on about how he was gonna break him was probably more than he could take so he turned Mir’s face into hamburger and got caught up in it all.

I think we are seeing the true Brock now. A little bit cocky but, overall a down to earth guy who knows he has things to learn and still has supreme confidence in his own abilities and is genuinely greatful to be able to fight for a living.

Well-Done. Thumb up 23 Thumb down 4

• Dufresne says:

“I don’t understand the hate for Brock or for that matter Carwin haters. I’m a huge Lesnar fan but, if Carwin would have stopped Brock I would have accepted it and still been a Lesnar fan. It’s possible to want someone to lose but, not hate them.”

With you there. I’m not even a Brock fan, but I still don’t understand where all the hate comes from.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 4

• Lethal Liquid says:

This Lesnar can win so many more fans over with this approach.

People want to cheer for him. A quality champion finds a way to win. He did that and the way he won was so unexpected.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• gy614x says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 6 Thumb down 24

• bigbadjohn says:

Oooo quite the bold prediction. Ill take Lesnar by 1st round (if he doesn’t get knocked out) or Decision (if he doesnt win before then). and just IMAGINE if Cain was on top of Brock there, Brock would have had a lot easier time standing up and probably would never be down there to start… Sorry to Pillowhands, I do like him, I just thought that last comment WAS ASSININE

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 4

• BillyWarhol says:

Carwin must be Sick to his stomach knowing he had ‘em + had ‘em Bad! People wouldda been kinda pissed off if the Ref stopped the Fight but their were several instances in which he wouldda been justified to do so. An amazing reversal of Fortune for Shane Carwin + even more amazing display of Never Give Up from a True Champion Brock Lesnar. yeah the Cain Velasquez Fight oughtta be Tremendous!!

• FierceFlamingo says:

Just thought I’d point one thing out, from a strengh and conditioning perspective. Often, people think that all Carwin needed to win was more endurance. Although this may be true human, beings do have to abide by the physical law of specificity. At the very elite levels, endurance and strenghth are often negatively correlated. No one will ever be the best marathon runner and the best powerlifter in the world. If Carwin had worked more on his endurance, he may have sacrificed some of the power that helped him to dominate the first round in the first place. All I’m saying is, Strenghth and conditioning, and pacing for that matter is a very complex topic, perhaps more than some people give it credit.

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 3

• gstringwife says:

Brock Lesnar proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is the baddest man on the planet by surviving unbelievable adversity before executing a highly technical maneuver to score a career defining win over one savage dude. Nobody can put forward an argument with any semblance of credibility that anyone other than Lesnar is the best heavyweight in the world at the moment. Taking mir out of the picture and his months of putting coals on the fire Lesnar proving to be a true champion

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 9

• danw84 says:

Just because you believe Lesnar is the best and won’t listen to any arguments doesn’t make him the best.

I have no argument against his ranking being #1, but there could be and probably are better heavyweights than him. He also proved he has nearly nothing to offer on his feet. Other guys are more well rounded than just being good at wrestling and being good at being huge (and apparently having insomnia as well, I can’t believe he stayed awake).

• Matthew says:

“Nobody can put forward an argument with any semblance of credibility that anyone other than Lesnar is the best heavyweight in the world at the moment.”

It must be a criteria that the baddest man on the planet looks only has a handful of fights? A different official and we could very well be having a different conversation. I applaud Brock for his development as a fighter and am excited about him being the champ but he is hardly the baddest man on the planet. He needs to clean out his division to be even considered for that statement like the others waiting in line to hold that verbal title. He is a solid HW champ but he is not the baddest man on the planet.

Good Brock Bad Brock I don’t care… I just want to see him in action