Evan Dunham vs. Sean Sherk set for UFC 119

A lightweight bout between former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk and the undefeated Evan Dunham is scheduled to occur at UFC 119.

News of the match-up comes courtesy of a recent report from MMAJunkie.com.

Sherk hasn’t fought since May of last year, a decision loss to current lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, and had been scheduled to face Clay Guida at the first UFC on Versus event, but dropped out because of an injury.

Dunham has finished eight out of his eleven victories by either TKO or submission with notable wins over Efrain Escudero, Marcus Aurelio, and recently Tyson Griffin at UFC 115.

UFC 119 occurs on September 25 and will emanate from the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana.

• Dufresne says:

This may be a bad matchup for Sherk. You can never count out a former champion, but Sherk has been struggling lately. Especially against taller fighters with good wrestling and decent boxing.
    Dunham has pretty good boxing and wrestling, and out of the 8 finishes most are by submission. I don’t know if he can finish Sherk, but I do think he can outpoint him.

is there still no main event for this card? Brock said no… Was there any other potential main events?

• hindsightufuk says:

not the best fight they coulda come up with

Waited over a year to get a decision loss…

• Jstew3785 says:

No big deal, you know Sherk will drop out of the fight for some reason…

• stone says:

Give Dunham a title shot already! What is he 11-0???

• fanoftna33 says:

This is going to be a good fight but likely a repeat of Dunham-Griffen. I dont think Dunham can submit Sherk as it has never happened before but unless Sherk decides to acually use his wrestling(and even that looks to be a pretty tough way to fight Dunham as he just beat two very tough wrestlers) I dont see Sherk winning this fight standing.

• Con says:

I heard that there is a possibility of Rampage fighting “Lil Nog” at 119. I still don’t think that is main event worthy(maybe co main event worthy). This is a card that I might attend so I hope they have a decent main event.

• MCM says:

I like this match up. It’s a good return fight for Sherk (if he makes it) and a great “name” for Dunham. I don’t see either fighter finishing the other. If Sherk wins, he’s right back to the tops of the division and if Dunham wins, it’ll be hard to argue against him getting a title shot.
    Sherk is an extremely tough guy who’s only losses have been to passed and current title holders. Dunham has never tasted defeat and is making waves in the division. Good match up for division standing and should be a good fight all around. I know most people hate “wrestling” matches but each of the guys has their majority wins by Submission or (T)KO so I’m excited to see it.

• MCM says:

Looks like Big Nog v. Mir II for the main event and Little Nog v. Bader for the co-main.