Yoshizo Machida wants son to retire, Lyoto intends to fight for three more years

Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida has only tasted defeat once in his seven years and seventeen bouts contested as a professional against the highest level of competition imaginable, and apparently it’s that defeat that has his father, karate master Yoshizo Machida, questioning whether he should continue fighting at all.

“Do you really think there is the possibility that Lyoto would stop fighting?,” Yoshizo was asked in a conversation that took place in June that recently made headlines at Sherdog.com.

“I don’t know. He said he intends to fight until about 35,” said Yoshizo. “It’s his decision. It’s not you or the family that will decide what he should do, right? This is it. I already said that he better not fight anymore, but I didn’t say it to him. I have expressed this desire just to my wife and his brothers. He doesn’t want (to retire) and says that he still has many challenges. According to him, 35 is a good age to stop. I think that up to 35 is still possible, but after that it starts getting tricky.”

It’s important to point out that Lyoto is currently just 32-years-old.

Yoshizo goes on to state that he feels now would be a good time for his son to retire being that he has already realized his dream of becoming a champion but admits that he can understand how Lyoto may feel a need to reedeem himself following the recent knockout defeat suffered at the hands of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

The full conversation is available in the video below:

• KTru says:

all Lyoto needs is his dad to slap him repeatedly after that KO loss, and the “Dragon” will be back on track :)

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 24 Thumb down 24

• MCM says:

As a parent myself, I can see where he is coming from. I wouldn’t want my son to continue fighting after him get knocked out either. It sounds to me like Yoshizo doesn’t see what else Lyoto has to achieve in the UFC. He already had the belt, why continue, what more is there (aside from avenging his loss to Shogun)?
    I’m also curious about when his father talked about the “pressure” Lyoto was under and how spiritually it can take up to ten years to get over some losses. I’ve always thought of Machida in the same vein as Fedor. Just a soft spoken guy with incredible talent that goes out there and does his job, period. But I guess there was some stuff happening back home and the fall out from the first fight must have really taken a toll on him.
    I don’t think Lyoto is gonna quit, and I personally can’t wait to see him fight again.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 15

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

Ktru-seems like there are at least 3 people who didn’t get the slapping reference. I thought it was funny.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 13

• Lethal Liquid says:

I can understand pops being upset. He watched his son get KTFO. Machida another 3 years. A lot can happen in that time

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 10

• moosebaby02 says:

so did i BuLL. im starting to see more and more humor being lost on this site. and MCM im hearing you as well (cant understrand on the neg tumbs). i guess no one knows what it is to be a farther. but the best part is he is letting his son make his own mind up

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 13

• Dufresne says:

I didn’t find it offensive, but I guess I could see how some could.

I’m not a father, but we’ve seen a lot of parents with this sentiment. It’s gotta be hard for a parent to watch their child go into a ring/cage with another professional fighter who’s there to try and cause them enough pain to make then quit, to make the ref intervene, or to separate them from consciousness. It’s gotta be even harder after watching your child lose violently.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 6

I’ll tell you one instance that really sticks out in my head is when Frank Mir was getting his face smashed in completely smothered by Brock and pinned against the cage… In the back ground you see Franks dad looking terrified and waving his arms as if to say his son had enough… Now that’s hard stuff for a parent to go through.

Well-Done. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 4

• danw84 says:

Eh if Frank Mir was my son, I would have been cheering Brock on to hit him harder.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 19

• LiverPunch says:

3 more years please.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 3

• Angry Mike says:

It’s more about attitude than age with Machida, imo. In the re-match with Shogun he seemed tentative and perhaps even intimidated. If he can’t bounce back, his head is done and his physical condition is immaterial.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1