Exclusive: Mark Hunt vs. Sean McCorkle on tap for UFC 119

FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned of two additional heavyweights with the potential to make an impact in the UFC, as a bout between K-1 and PRIDE veteran Mark Hunt and the undefeated Sean McCorkle looks to be brewing for UFC 119.

5 Oz was recently informed of the UFC’s discussions with both athletes along with the likely match-up of Hunt vs. McCorkle through sources close to the promotion.

One of the most decorated kickboxers of our time, Hunt captured multiple K-1 titles before making the transition to MMA in 2004 where he suffered a first round armbar submission at the hands of Hidehiko Yoshida before stringing together five consecutive victories that included names like Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Wanderlei Silva. Surprisingly, Hunt is currently on a five-fight losing streak, suffering defeats at the hands of highly regarded fighters such as Josh Barnett, Fedor Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, Melvin Manhoef and Gegard Mousasi.

Sporting an unblemished record of 7-0, McCorkle has finished 6 of the 7 victims that have fallen before him during the five years he has spent as a professional. The heavy handed knockout artist took a three year break from the sport in 2007 but returned with a vengeance in 2010, racking up consecutive TKO’s in the span of just two months.

UFC 119 is looking likely to take place on September 25 from the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana.

• Dufresne says:

This could actually be a really competitive fight. When I first saw that Hunt was on a 5 fight losing streak I was pretty skeptical about him going against an undefeated HW, but then I looked at their records.

McCorkle is 7-0, but out of those 7 only 2 have records of over .500 (Jeremy Norton 14-5 also the guy McCorkle took to a split decision; Bobby Favors 10-9), 1 of them it was his only fight and 2 others have less than 4 fights a each.

Hunt is a decorated K1 fighter who’s lost to some of the best MMA fighters in the history of the game while taking out a few of them along the way.

Most of Hunt’s losses have been to submission (5 out of 6), but luckily it doesn’t look like McCorkle is going to try and take this to the ground (he has two submissions, but one is due to strikes). If Hunt had been losing by KO in his MMA bouts I would give this to McCorkle, but I think that Hunt’s K1 striking pedigree will give him the advantage on his feet.

Well-Done. Thumb up 25 Thumb down 6

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Hunt is a good fighter, but not a ufc caliber HW at all. Why would they sign a guy on a 5 fight losing streak?. His last mma win was in 2006 againct a older Kosaka. And the way Mousasi dismantled him in the Dream tourney I just dont see the reason to bring him into the ufc.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 19

• spitfire7001 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 24

• This… this blows my mind.

Never thought I’d see Hunt in the Octagon.

Well-Done. Thumb up 24 Thumb down 3

• MCM says:

Dana seams to be bringing in prospects and then trying to give them a name fighter as their intro into the UFC, lately. To play conspiracy theory, I think he’s just trying to own Image and Marketing rights of any fighter out there that either has a name or once had a name so that no other company (EA sports, Strikeforce) can use them for profits outside of fighting. See Kimbo Slice – Round 5 Action figure as example.

“…two additional heavyweights with the potential to make an impact in the UFC…”

Nah… doubt it.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 7

• Kamakosmo says:

This is a bogus story, sorry…

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 9

• KTru says:

this is reported on, but nothing of Mir/Nogueria 2? Interesting…….

• Matthew says:

If i were to have an educated guess, the signing of Hunt has occurred as his appeal in the Australian market is quite high and they are attempting to plan another show for there. This UFC 119 fight is simply a warm up fight for him before they venture into Australia again next year.

Plus, he probably signed cheap.

All this moaning about poor quality fighters is ridiculous. More show being put on a year, Dana and the UFC’s open stance on taking the UFC all over the world will simply require more fighters.

I don’t see how that is hard to fathom.

• DzNutz says:

I agree Matthew: Not hard to fathom at all!!!
    DANA is able to see the big picture!!!
    Dana wants UFC to be World Wide and hasnt really got the Asian and Australasian markets yet!
    Mark already has a HUGE following of fans in the Asian market as well as the Australasian (aus & NZ) market, as well as all the Samoan and Polynesian followers and he has been fighting the K1 and Pride circuits for about 10 years

AMERICA I garuntee u MARK HUNT will ENTERTAIN YOU!!!!
    and u will see the heart and spirit he has as a fighter
    and he is actually pretty funny……. and humble!

U WONT BE DIS_APPOINTED!!!

• hindsightufuk says:

if its true then cool, always followed Mark Hunt, he had some great fights down the years. it may be another doesnt make sense signing, but i’d rather see Mark Hunt in there than fucking Seth put my leash on Petrozelli or any of the heavyweights on the last ppv prelims

• LiverPunch says:

He has lost like 5 in a row and they have signed him?
    I hope he does well but this is a surprise. Yvel vs Hunt would be a good match up but wow.
    At least Batista hasn’t lost 5 in a row. Sorry Mark I’m a fan and a Kiwi but you are not doing so well of late.Gud lick to yuu eh bro.

• Dufresne says:

Batitsta hasn’t lost 5 in a row because he’s never fought. Much less 5 times.

DW said on his Twitter, he actually is contractually obligated from the purchase of PRIDE to give Hunt 5 fights…I dunno if that’s his excuse or if thats just a fact but he said it himself when questioned by a fan why he would sign hunt.

• Dufresne says:

If that’s true, I wonder how many other PRIDE vets are going to get deals like that.

Could make for some fun nostalgia shows.

“…At least Batista hasn’t lost 5 in a row…”

What’s that ? a Cokerism?

That’s like saying …At least Batisa isn’t a decorated Kick Boxer…

@Dufresne- I asked DW on his twitter if there was any othe PRIDE vets that were owed fights contractually and he said no…

• Iconoclastic says:

This would have been a good move if the UFC would have signed him (Hunt) when Pride did (2004?) He was new to MMA then and could have progressed his MMA skills more had he trained here in the states. At this point in his career, he is not going to change his one dimensional style. Mark if you’re reading this you gotta bring back the Samoan butt drop.

• hindsightufuk says:

haha i forgot about the atomic butt drop, that was awesome. would that be legal under North American rules?
    i loved his fights against Cro Cop, Nishijima and Kohsaka. Kohsaka had a fucking chin of granite in that fight, i need to watch that again

• LiverPunch says:

“That’s like saying …At least Batisa isn’t a decorated Kick Boxer”

No it’s more like saying Hunt has lost 5 in a row. Saying At least Batisa isn’t a decorated Kick Boxer is like saying At least Batisa isn’t a decorated Kick Boxer. Nice try though Dana er I mean Rece. I have no idea what a cokerism is but I do know what a nuthugger is, do you twitter boy? Tell me whats Dana’s favorite color? does he like long walks on the beach?.

Liverpunch…
    What was I thinking- shit Batista is training with Gracie, him and conseco should be sparring right about now…him and Lashley should have a #1 contenders fight…you know just because?!
    Then the winner could fight fedor for the Wammabamma ding dong HW championship.

A cokerism is basically the retardation that spews from cokers Mouth and somehow makes sense to only him and ppl like you…I font need to give you examples of him saying things that are retarded and assbackwards cause you know them all…
    Sorry if I actually go to the source to find an answer to a question… So no I don’t nuthug DW I just follow the sport I love and try to gain as much knowledge as possible, you should try it.