Jake Shields inks with UFC, slated to face Martin Kampmann at UFC 121

Jake Shields is the newest addition to the UFC welterweight roster.

The former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion recently finalized his contract with the promotion and is expected to meet Martin Kampmann at UFC 121 in his highly-anticipated UFC debut.

News of Shields siging with the UFC along with the bout with Kampmann comes courtesy of Shields’ manager and father, Jack Shields, who passed on the information to MMAJunkie.com. The possibility of the bout was first reported by MMAFighting.

Apparently Shields wanted to debut in the UFC as a middleweight, but promotion officials preferred that he made his arrival at welterweight.

UFC 121 is expected to take place on October 23 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

Shields is currently riding an impressive 14-fight win streak with his most recent victory coming in the form of a unanimous decision over Dan Henderson, while Kampmann is on a two-fight win streak in the Octagon with wins over Jacob Volkmann and Paulo Thiago.

• Creature says:

Martin Kampmann via TKO round 2. i believe he will be able 2 avoid the takedown and keep it standing, we all know shields standup isnt exactly spectacular where as kampanns is very crisp, shields standup is as someone posted on an earlier article “has standup like a retarded kangaroo, without the power” lmfao

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 9

• JOEgun says:

“retarded kangaroo without power”, that is hilarious.
    Im picking Shields for some reason, despite his lack of standup. Kampman is really tough but, if Shields thinks he can take on GSP then he must get through Kampman. I didnt think Kampman would defeat Paulo Thiago but he proved me wrong.
    Although im fairly excited for this fight, its not that exciting of a matchup based on styles, IMO

• Dufresne says:

I’m going with Shields simply because last time I proclaimed long and loudly that he had no chance against Hendo, and he absolutely made me eat my words.

Just for fun, I went back to the story here on 5oz from this past Friday and I counted 7 different posters saying they would like Shields v Kampmann. Pretty impressive call.

• thomo says:

I like Kampmann but I think shields takes this. People seem to forget he finished fights in the past and the ufc rules (elbows) suit him. I think this will be a good, technical fight.

• stone says:

Kampman is “tuff titties” for a 1st fight in the UFC, should be a good one though… I’d have given him Paulo Thiago, IMO! If JS does end up fighting GSP, Goergie needs to start standing up… JS is gonna be one helluva wrestler to slam around! GSP would kill JS in a striking war… Been wanting to see GSP stand up for about 2-3 years already!

• bigbadjohn says:

Kampmann is too smart and slick to be submitted by Jake, but Jakes too efficient of a wrestler to lose this one. Shields by Decision.

• MCM says:

Once I did the research, Kampman was the only logical choice. Top 10 WW, not committed, coming off a win, available for the winner (Sheilds) to fight Fitch/Alves for title shot. Only one name came up.

I think Kampman may be able to eek out a Dec here. He’s light years ahead of Jake on the feet and is pretty slick on the ground as well. I don’t think he’ll be able to finish Shields but if he can keep from getting smothered and stay standing he could take this on the judges cards. Shields is one tough dude though, so this could go either way.

• ByronGiant says:

Kampman will end up on his back because Shields has little to offer except a major wrestling game. The problem is that Kampman is deadly off his back. If Shields can smother Kampman and not get caught, he will win.

Gotta hit the ground running… He didn’t come to UFC to get a break he came to test himself against the best… It’s a win win for zuffa either way shields fairs in his UFC stint if he does well then hey what great aquisition…if he underperforms then they say see we told you all along SF best can hang with even our top 10 guys on his weight class …. I think he will hold his own…..

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Call me crazy but a 14 fight win streak witch included victories over Hendo, Condit, Mayhem, Okami, Lawler, Thomson, Daley, Imada and Pyle means that retarded kangaroo style is f#cking awesome.
    This will be a very interesting fight.

“if he underperforms then they say see we told you all along SF best can hang with even our top 10 guys on his weight class”

Funny how that doesn’t apply the other way with Hendo.

• qat says:

think so too. dont think he will be unbeaten in the ufc, but he will hold his own in the top 5.

dunno about you guys, but im actually quite interested in seeing shields vs. fitch, just to see how these two try to beat each other, i think we could be surprised.

lets see what his next fights bring, maybe he can be a threat to gsp on some way.

• BigDave says:

Shields doesn’t want to fight at 170 for long because he will be just another victim for gsp should he stay. but if he goes to 185 he is screwed there to with silva, nate, belfort, ect. It’s not a good move for shields imo as he just isn’t a threat in the ufc, but give him credit for trying i guess.

• boomnutz says:

i have a few things to say, first of all, GSP does stand up, if you watched his fights against Penn, Alves and especially Fitch, he owned all of them on the feet as well as the ground, he’s just so smart and will go to his strengths often, but re-watch his fights and you’ll see he usually wins the standup exchanges (albeit breif).

second, I want to give it up to Kampmann for taking tough fights, he’s a gamer.

third, as much as i like Kampmann, i have to go w/ Shields. i waited for him to lose for a long time, because his standup is so underdeveloped for this level, but he keeps proving me wrong, so I’ll pick him against anybody not named GSP, and maybe Fitch. He’s survived in the standup w/ Daley and Lawler so i find no reason to think he can’t do the same with Kampmann, and i’m beginning to really think Shields is on whole other level of grappling, he’s a pioneer of American Jui Jitsu (or so he calls it) its more aggresive than BJJ, and i think he’ll use it to pull off a decision, maybe even dominate one at that

• boomnutz says:

i’m just curious but does everyone think Hendo’s a pussy all of a sudden? I mean he only had 2 losses at middleweight in his CAREER, the title defense to da Spider (who doesn’t lose those) and a fight against Wanderlei back in 2000, almost 10 years ago! (his might have lost to Misaki at middleweight too, but it may have been LH) Anyway, then Shields dominated him…

i just don’t get why no one is giving him a chance

• bigbadjohn says:

Well boomnutz, Hendo is getting on now, definitely enterring the twilight of his career. And in his last fight he was schooled at his bread and butter (wrestling) by a natural 170er. Dana made a safe choice not giving into Dans demands, hes old hat.

• Angry Mike says:

Props to Jstew. His post suggesting Kampmann was the first I saw on this site. “Prescient” is the word of the day.

Ordinarily I’d immediately pick Kampmann, but Shield’s dominant win over Henderson gives me pause. Kampmann has a decent ground game, but I don’t think he’s faced a wrestler of Shields’ caliber yet. Shields has the ability to take him down and keep him on his back. Kampmann has respectable bjj, but Shields is no slouch. Shields beat Carlos Condit, who I think has better submissions than Kampmann. So the choice is Kampmann by ko or tko or Shields by decision. Coin toss for me; heads it’s Kampmann.

• FightFan313 says:

Martin the Hitman by way of domination, by way of Ref Stoppage any round.

• Dufresne says:

Funny how that doesn’t apply the other way with Hendo.

I think the only reason it doesn’t seem to apply to Hendo is for a few reasons.
    -The UFC let him walk away. According to media outlets Henderson left because of a contract dispute. The UFC said that he was asking for more than he was worth, which is one causes of contract disputes, but who knows how much he was asking. You can put all sorts of different spin on this depending on your point of view; I was just pointing out that some people might view it as the UFC saying “we don’t think you’re that good”
    -Hendo wasn’t the champ when he left the UFC. He was supposed to be getting a title shot with his win over Bisping, but for some reason Belfort was put in line ahead of him without ever having fought at 185.
    -When Hendo left the UFC for SF he got a title shot, but when Shields left/got fired from SF and signed with the UFC he got a top 10 guy but not an immediate shot. Both are due to a bunch of different factors (SF has a smaller roster, GSP is already locked in to fight Kos) but in the overall appearance it makes it look like a guy the UFC can let walk away got a title shot, but SF’s champ is just a prospect.

• stone says:

Damn your good Dufresne… Its true all the top 10ers got fights lined up, except… Paulo, Hathaway and Kampman… All three of them dudes are TOUGH! I still think Hitman is the hardest of those three and I would’ve lined him up with one of the other 2… Let’s face it, Kampman is knockin on the Top 5’s door! Especially with a strategist like Randy Couture in his corner!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Belfort had fought at 185.
    The UFC couldn’t keep Hendo and SF couldn’t keep Sheilds or they both chose to leave. Why are you acting as if it is different?.
    Hendo’s last few victories over MW prospects include Misaki, Belfort, Palhares, Bisping, Wanderlei and Franklin. So anyone saying he is old and past it has no back up for that argument. but that never stops SOME people from taking a certain slant. The old “he left the UFC so now he sucks” attitude.

• Makington says:

Henderson has a who’s who list of accomplishments in this sport undoubtably. The guy has beaten people like Newton, Nogueira, Sobral, Wanderlei, Franklin, Belfort but that was a long time ago now. Saying he is a great middleweight now because he beat Misaki and Belfort almost 3 or 4 years ago is like saying Chuck Liddell is still one of the best because he beat Couture and Ortiz 4 years ago too.

I’m not saying I knew this all along because I gave Shields 0 chance to beat Hendo but in retrospect after the fight, I saw my mistake of still thinking he was at the top. I don’t want to say he’s done, but I would have to agree he’s nearing the end of his career. He’s been fighting for like 15 years or something, and the way he fights takes a lot of punishment so it’s not exactly a stretch for me to believe he isn’t the same fighter nowadays.

As for Shields, I admit I like the Alves/Fitch winner more but this is a good matchup, and does still make sense. Kampmann better work on his takedown defense!

• Dufresne says:

Belfort had fought at 185.

If the UFC had really wanted to keep Hendo, they could have. And I’m sure that if SF was determined to keep Shields they probably could have dug up the funds as well. I was just pointing out that the circumstances before and after they each left makes it look different.
    Hell, we’d be having this discussion if Hendo had won too. Then people would just be pointing that a guy that left the UFC just walked in and dethroned SF’s champ. It’s all about how you want to spin it. I don’t think Hendo is washed up, I think Shields was underrated by a lot of people (myself included)

And Belfort has fought at 185 before, but not for the UFC. I think he’s only fought at 185 a couple of times total, buy I honestly don’t remember who his last fight at MW was against.