Brendan Schaub vs. Gabriel Gonzaga on tap for UFC 121

According to a report from Sports Net Canada, a heavyweight battle between Brendan Schaub and Gabriel Gonzaga is expected to take place at UFC 121.

The match-up marks the third heavyweight bout expected to take place at the card.

Schaub has been downright dominant since his knockout loss to Roy Nelson at the TUF 10 Finale, finishing both Chase Gormley and Chris Tuchscherer in round one with a combined time of around two minutes total. After the KO of Tuscherer, Schaub expressed interest in facing either Mirko Cro Cop or Gilbert Yvel, a step up in competition.

Gabriel Gonzaga’s UFC career started hot after racking up four straight wins, one being a devastating head kick knockout of the legendary Mirko Cro Cop. After being brutalized by Randy Couture at UFC 74, Gonzaga’s career has yet to be the same, going an even 3-3 in the UFC with losses to Fabricio Werdum, Shane Carwin, and Junior Dos Santos.

UFC 121 occurs on October 20 and emanates from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

• Dufresne says:

Schaub got his step up in competition, I hope he’s ready for it.

If they stay standing one of them is going to sleep. Gonzaga has a bad habit of forgetting that he’s got top class BJJ and wants to stand and bang with folks, and because of that he’s got 5 losses, all by KO.
    Schaub showed pretty nice striking in his last match, and he earned himself a set of Golden Gloves not too long back so you know where he’s wanting to keep it.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• bigbadjohn says:

Schaub looked sharp against Chris but I think he’s going to sleep in this one. Hopefully a head kick.. but everyones so good at checking those lately! where did all the head kick KOs go??

• MCM says:

Ya’ll know my feelings on Schaub, but I don’t see this as much of a step up for him. Gonzaga may have gotten a title shot, but the division was tissue paper thin back then. Both of them have Tuchscherer as their most recent wins and Gabe took that one by nut punt. I’d put Gonzaga at the lower end of the Gatekeeper ladder and I think Brenden is more than ready for him. That said, I truly hope Gage remembers that he is light years ahead of Schaub on the ground and tries to take this fight there. As much as I hate Schaub and wanna see him subbed out, I think he’ll take this one via TKO in the first.

121 is going to be off the hook…

• stone says:

I don’t think Schaub is ready for Gonzaga… Gonzaga is the gate keeper. Schuab should’ve got another fight or 2 on that lower shelf before steppin up to the gate…

• Makington says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself MCM. I don’t get how a fighter has ridden the hype of one shot for so long. Yeah the kick was beastly, but it was back when Chuck was the #1 lhw in the world.

I expect Schaub will win a fight that Gabe could have won if he fought smart then the UFC will give him a can to keep him on the roster and the whole process will start yet again for Napao.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

A good challenge for Schaub, but GG will win this via blanket beating.
    I hope he does well,but I predict GG will smother him both standing and on the ground, for all 3 rounds.
    GG will win and get the loudest chorus of BOOOOOOOS of the night.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

@MCM.
    HAHAHHAHAHAAAAA…you said “Nut Punt”. May I use that as a future band name?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Gonzaga wins easily.

• Guthookd says:

This match is very interesting.

Shaub has been on a tare, but Gonzo is still going to be a huge step up.

I think Gonzaga takes it.

• Angry Mike says:

Schaub is taller, but Gonzaga is heavier, and he has more power, imo. If Gonzaga catches Schaub squarely, it’s lights out. Schaub has had some decent performances, but I question whether he’s ready for Gonzaga. I’ll say Gonzaga by first round ko.