Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Nick Diaz possible for Strikeforce in October

A “grudge match” between Bully Beatdown star Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz looks to be brewing for an upcoming Strikeforce event.

Far from strangers, the rivalry between Mayhem and Diaz kicked off following Jake Shields defeat of Dan Henderson during “Strikeforce: Nashville” in April. Mayhem entered the cage during Shields post-victory comments and interupted Shields, asking the question, “Where’s my rematch, buddy?”. Also in the cage during Mayhem’s comment was fellow Cear Gracie fighters Nick and Nate Diaz, along with Gilbert Melendez, and needless to say, all hell broke loose. Fistacuffs were thrown, feelings were hurt, and a “grudge” was born.

“We’re trying to put Nick Diaz together,” said Mayhem during a recent Joe Rogan podcast. “We got a little grudge match.”

While nothing is set in stone at this point, Mayhem indicated that the if the fight was to happen, it would likely happen in October.

“I don’t know if it’s happening yet, but I like to run my mouth off and hopefully make it happen,” said Mayhem.

Mayhem recently rebounded from a decision defeat at the hands of Jake Shields to TKO Tim Stout in impressive fashion during “Strikeforce: Nashville” on April 17, while Diaz is currently riding a 7-fight win streak that includes notable wins over the likes of Frank Shamrock and Scott Smith.

There is no word as to what weight the bout may be contested at, as Diaz normally competes at 170 lbs and Mayhem is better suited at 185 lbs. A catchweight could be a possibility.

• fanoftna33 says:

this would be a very fun fight to watch, But i would go with Diaz here. On the ground Miller has some very good submission defense so most likely a brutal stand up fight.

Well-Done. Thumb up 26 Thumb down 5

• Dufresne says:

This is what I wanted to come out of that scuffle! A real fight that’ll settle things.

I don’t really like Mayhem’s chances here to be honest. Diaz is a nasty, nasty fighter for anyone to run into at this point in his career. His standup game has only gotten more potent in the last few years and his BJJ has always been deadly. Mayhem may have the advantage in size and wrestling, but I don’t see him being able to just lay-n-pray Diaz to a decision victory. He’s gonna eat punches-in-bunches on the way in and he’s gonna have to keep track of all of his limbs throughout the entire fight if he wants to go home with all of them in working order.

Diaz via TKO round 2.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 22 Thumb down 21

I would love to say mayhem has got this but I think it’s an obvious win for Diaz… I like the matchmaking for the dramatics of it but seriously this is kinda a lopsided matchup… Wish mayhem the best hope he can kick nicks ass but something tells me that’s not happening

Well-Done. Thumb up 23 Thumb down 7

• MCM says:

Mayhem is a tough guy. Diaz is looking better than ever but Jason was able to take GSP to a dec back when GSP was finishing everybody. I’d say that Shields ground is as good as Diaz and Miller was literally seconds away from putting Shields to sleep. I think Diaz’s best bet is to keep this standing but I can see Mayhem pulling out the UD if he can get it to the ground.

Well-Done. Thumb up 25 Thumb down 15

• Angry Mike says:

Great match up, and it could be a genuine grudge match. On the other hand, it also feels a little like one of those contrived rivalries in pro wrestling. Love to see Miller win, but Diaz is just as good or better on his feet, and his bjj/ground game is ahead of Miller’s. Diaz wins by decision, imo.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 11

• Rich S. says:

Two granite chins and world class ground games = all out war.

This will either be an extremely awesome/technical chess match on the ground, or, a stand up war..

If we see the latter, I have to give Diaz the edge.

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 5

• hindsightufuk says:

awesome fight, been wanting to see this match up for years. only time these guys are in dull fights is when their opponents nullify everything they can do. perfect fight for me, huge fan of both these guys

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

• mmajosh says:

Jason, please kill nick. Thanks.

Well-Done. Thumb up 23 Thumb down 13

• AWOL781 says:

Mayhem is a lot better than people are giving him credit for. This isn’t just a fight for him. He got robbed against shields and then they rat pack mayhem in the ring for no reason at all. Mayhems striking is plenty good to enable his size and strength to get in and take diaz down. Everyone talks about diaz stand up..how about that he swings like a girl and has no power in his hands. I see people with even average chins take multiple shots from him no problem. When it goes to the going mayhem is just to skilled to fall into some bs triangle choke or lazy armbar. Mayhem wins in the 2nd..either submission or tko. I don’t think it matters. Mayhem is going to train like a beast for this after what happened.

• stone says:

DIAZ!,via sub after peppering him up with some of that “rat-a-tat-tat-tat” boxing… Think its hard to just sub Miller right off the bat. He seems to be double jointed in every limb…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I hope Mayhem can make the cut to WW. The WW division out of the UFC needs a boost. This fight will be a good one.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

• BigDave says:

MAYHEM MONKEYS, Fuck Diaz he is a loser and i hope that mayhem breaks his neck cause diaz is bad for the sport and doesn’t deserve to be fighting on a main card.

Diaz is a drug addict peice of shit and if it was me i would have no problem with snapping the bitches neck.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 16

• hindsightufuk says:

wow, you really thought that one through before posting eh

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1