Chael Sonnen: Anderson Silva couldn’t have this industry more backward

Never known for biting his tongue, Chael Sonnen recently opened a can on UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva in the form of a verbal thrashing during the recent press conference held to promote their meeting.

“You knew when you asked him a question that you were setting yourself up for a boring answer, and you got one,” said Sonnen following Silva mentioning his recent training with Steven Segal to prepare for Sonnen in response to a question. “So what are you going to do? This is just Anderson yet again. He truly believes the answer he gave a few minutes ago, that people are putting in (money) to see a fight and not see anything else. He really means that. He feels like he’s taking the moral high ground. He couldn’t be more wrong.

“Does he know anything about business? Has this guy ever done anything? That’s not what people are tuning in to see. People don’t just want to see two people fight. They want to know why they’re fighting. He comes on here and says something stupid as though he’s saying some Nobel Prize-winning statement. He couldn’t have this industry more backward. It’s shocking that he actually believes it and stands there with his chest out like we should all pat him on the back and go, ‘Oh, good job, Anderson. You’re training really hard.'”

Now targeting his words like a bullet at the middleweight champion, Sonnen continued, “Well guess what, dummy. I’ve been training really hard since I was 9 years old, and I still have time to bring interest to people seeing me whip your ass on August 7.”

Unsurprisingly, Silva had little to offer in his defense.

“I don’t really have much to say because there’s really not much to say about this,” responded Silva. “What we’re going to do is we’re going to go out there on Aug. 7 and, winning or losing, I’m going to go out there an do my job, and I’m going to fight.

The pair will have the chance to settle the score during UFC 117 on August 7 from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

• JOEgun says:

Personally, I am just paying to see two guys throw down in the octagon. I dont need to hear trash talk from fighters to build my interest. MMA is my interest. If Sonnen wants to hype the fight in the way he is thats fine too. Anderson doesnt care about talking and promoting, he only cares about retaining his title, and im fine with that. Anderson doesnt need to no crap about business, he just needs to know about fighting, and he does that very well. Not everyone feels the way Chael does.

Well-Done. Thumb up 41 Thumb down 31

• Dufresne says:

It’s not always about grudge matches and fighters hating each other. I personally like watching two fighters that have mutual respect for each other or even a close friendship as much or more than I like watching fighters that hate each other.

I don’t remember GSP ever having to talk trash for me to get interested in his fights.

Well-Done. Thumb up 34 Thumb down 15

• hindsightufuk says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 26

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 22 Thumb down 36

• stone says:

I hope Chael can back up at least half the shit he talks… I’m pullin for ol’ Chael. I’m sick of Silva at 185 already. He seems to only go hard @ 205 now.

Well-Done. Thumb up 42 Thumb down 16

• bigbadjohn says:

Chaels definitely got a point. If Silva wont finish fights, wont talk trash or even have anything remotely refreshing to say, who will watch? Im a thousand times more interested in this match than any other Silva fight at 185. Anderson constantly comes across all high n mighty and so Chaels talk will force him to deliver and if not… Silvas draw just gets smaller

Well-Done. Thumb up 26 Thumb down 10

• bigbadjohn says:

Chaels just pointing out what somehow a lot of people miss: As easy as it is to see Andersons talent, its just as easy to recognize his lack of ‘likeability’. Now to some that matters not, but personally Id like to see him humbled

Well-Done. Thumb up 25 Thumb down 14

• hindsightufuk says:

chael is a whinning cunt.

thats funny man

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 24 Thumb down 21

• MCM says:

right on bigbadjohn. Silva got a ton of fans when he first came to the UFC by KO’ing a guy with an iron chin and shutting down the best MW in histroy, twice. But since then he has put on boring fights where he blames the other fighter for not playing to his strengths, then goes off and insults the fans by saying it’s not his fault and that the UFC should let him hand pick his own fights. He refuses to learn English even though ALL his fights take place here and never seems to give two shits about how he’s perceived by those that pay his bills. I too am interested in this fight but only because of Chael’s trash talk. And I gotta admit, it’s made me a fan of Chael Sonnen.

Well-Done. Thumb up 23 Thumb down 9

• Angry Mike says:

All this talk from Sonnen may ensure that Silva comes out ready to fight and finish rather than showboat. But Sonnen better be careful what he’s wishing for, because he just might get it.

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 2

• I personally place 95% of the lacklusterness of Anderson’s fights on his opponents. He’s not bitching that they don’t play to his strengths he’s bitching that they quit fighting him. Most fighters claim to fight because they love the rush of the ultimate one on one competition. My theory is that Anderson isn’t having fun because people aren’t trying to take the belt, they’re trying to survive and HOPE that Anderson makes a mistake.

Thales took Anderson down and even ended the first round with him against the fence. In the second he was fighting hard until The Spider cracked him with a few good shots and he stopped being able to get him down let alone do anything with him once he got him there. Demian Maia gave up after he got hit with that nasty flying knee. He actually hit Anderson with some fush right hands in the later rounds and then chose to talk trash back to Anderson instead of tryin to win the fight. When someone FIGHTS Slva and atually tries to win the end result is always the same, Anderson victorious before the second round ends. So maybe the UFC should put people in there who WANT to be the MW champ not people who want to hope they can win, Which brings us to Sonnen

Chael needs to hype his fights because they are boring Leg hump fests, Anderson doesn’t because we know he’ll come out throwing laser guided strikes and Flamboyant moves that only he and a few other elite strikers can pull off. The one good thing I can say about Sonnen is this. He won’t be broken like Leites and Maia were, as long as he CAN fight, he WILL fight and he wont stop trying to take that title till the final bell or ref stoppage. So as far as people not being excited, get excited cuz we’ll eiter be treated to the Spider showing his true form (i.e. Forrest Griffin) or the biggest upset in UFC history.

Well-Done. Thumb up 28 Thumb down 7

• MickeyC says:

I to hope the trash talk brings out the beast in Anderson. Sonnen is laying on pretty thick. He had me laughing on MMA live last week. And who didn’t laugh at the segal video. And though as a fan I was always looking forward to the fight. I have to be honest and say that the trash talk has gotten me a bit more excited. As I said I’m hoping anderson shows up with murder on his mind.dude is awesome, but his last few fights have left me wanting.

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 2

• Lethal Liquid says:

What I love about this sport is that 90 percent of the time the guy talking the most shit gets his ass blown up when the cage closes. Ok idiots Anderson Silva is a fighter not a politician. He’s not here to kiss your damn kids and do a photo-op. He refuses to learn the english language. How the fuck do you know what he’s doing in his spare time. He is paid to be the hell out of people. Understand that when you get angry you say stupid shit. Sonnen has made it onto Anderson Silva’s radar. He rearranged Rich Franklin’s face twice and Rich is a far more talented fighter than Chael will ever be. I expect on Sunday Aug 8th that the crumpled disfigured form of Sonnen to be laying up in hospital somewhere

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 10

• Dufresne says:

MCM, you brought up a point that really made me start thinking: Silva not learning English. When he first came into the UFC and was really blowing things up, I remember him saying that he was trying to learn the language and I think I remember a few small segments of interviews that he tried to do in English, but for some reason he seems to have completely shut that down.

I remember him coming out on the SPIKE Guy’s Choice Awards and speaking a little in English and telling everyone about his mother’s passing, but that’s probably the last time I remember him even trying. Seems like around that time was also the time that all his boring fights started too. So being the stat nerd I am, I looked it up.

He got did his Guy’s Choice thing May 31, 2008. His next fight was James Irvin on July 19, 2008, so not too long after. Then he had his first boring fight with Cote October 25, 2008, and since then he’s only really decimated Forrest. I don’t know if something happened between Cote and Irvin or maybe it was just the sudden difference in the way the fans treated him after Cote got hurt, but something has either messed with his aggression or ego since then. He’s shown scary, scary skills since Cote, but they’ve mostly been flashes compared to the constant, overwhelming presence he initially brought to the Octagon.

• moosebaby02 says:

superdavenorcal
    holy shit its like your in my head man

Lethal Liquid
    100%

chael is so getting a beating on Aug 7

• YetiLee says:

You got to give Sonnen credit, he really is doing his best to try and get people interested in this fight. I still think the casual fan looks at this match up and says “Sonnen? Who the hell is that? I am not paying $50 to watch some clown get his ass kicked”. The guy has been giving great soundbites and it should payoff in a few extra ppv purchases. Now with that said, I just find it unfortunate that the lead up to the fight is the actual show because once the fight starts Anderson is going to just plain destroy him in a rather quick fashion.

• Creature says:

Ive said it before and ill say it again, even tho chael is good, i dont see him winning this, i believe theres only 1 person left at MW that i give a decent chance at taking the belt and thats Nate Marquardt. i believe hes the only 1 well rounded enough in all areas 2 give silva another real challenge. now at 205 theres many fighters id love 2 see silva fight, id really love 2 see rashad or couture vs silva, and i really hope GSP vs Silva comes together eventually

• AWOL781 says:

At least silva has the discipline to be the bigger person. He knows he will do how talking in the ring. Sonnen is waking a sleeping giant and it is not a good idea. Silva is going to teach him humility in the worst way. People may think its boring to listen to Anderson talk but he is always classy and respectful of everyone. Like it or not that is what real combat is about. Respect..

• k-class says:

I remember when being a martial artist meant not letting them beat the sh*t out of you instead of beating the sh*t out of them. Now GSP and Silva are showing us how you can eliminate risk with out breaking bones or spilling blood, however, the ” i want blood” or “break his arm” fans control this sport, were taking it to new levels, and then we judge a post fight brawl at strikeforce, how hipocritical can we get?????

• k-class says:

Oh by the way, Silva without a bruise or blemish!!

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Any link to the conference?
    I like Sonnen for expressing himself.
    I like Silva for not being drawn into it.
    I wish I had the money to bet on Sonnen, but it’s been awhile since Silva had a geniune reason to beat the crap out of somebody.
    Sonnen sounds like he’s gonna push the action, so if he does, Silva wins by KO in the first round.
    If it lasts longer ,it’s only because Silva wants to toy with him.
    Sonnen will show something that he thinks Silva has never seen, and then Silva will show us all what we knew all along,a thorough striking beatdown.
    But I will feel Sonnen’s pain as each fist and knee is delivered.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Yah sorry.
    Just to confirm,
    Silva KO round 1.
    Wait!
    Make it round 2.
    Round 2, dammit, round 2 !

• bigbadjohn says:

Dr Stoppage feelings couldnt be more alligned with my own. And after Anderson destroys Sonnen, most will hopefully look back and applaud Chaels antics and appreciate his criticism because it had awoke the Beast. MARTYR! MARTYR!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Oh by the way, Silva without a bruise or blemish!!”

Is that because Silva wont actually fight? Do you think he is going to just dance around like he did against Maia, Leites and Cote?.
    In this fight he wont have a guy just standing in front of him, he wont have a guy that will try and trick Silva into following him to the ground, he will have a guy who will shoot and clinch and take Anderson down just like Henderson did with his very first attempt. Henderson’s first round domination of Anderson Silva is the perfect game plan to beat Anderson Silva. Anderson Silva is going to lose… maybe.

• boomnutz says:

First of all, Sonnen always struggles against guys that are active off their back, which Silva is very adept at jui jitsu in general and his long limbs will give sonnen problems, not to mention Silva is just going to utterly destroy him in the standup…at the time of the Hendo fight, Hendo had way more to offer Silva than Sonnen, i like that Sonnen is giving people a reason to re-think this, but let’s get real…HE’S GOING TO GET SMASHED

• boomnutz says:

Dufresne…i think part of the reason for the lacksidasical Anderson Silva has been his opponents…for one, his reputation has opponents petrified of him, just look at the way Leites just basically fell down trying to pull guard, or anytime he got hit…he’s basically got the attitude you have to bring me to the ground or i ain’t going there…and also with the standup, people are too afraid too bring it to him, i mean look what happens when they do…a la Forrest Griffin…he’s always had a plodding methodical counter-attacking style why should he change just because his opponents are afraid and the fans are getting bored?!?! he’s still considered the greatest

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I agree with Chael Sonnen all the way and personally think he could possibly wear out Anderson-I am just so sick of athletes that get bloated heads and basically say eff the fans-90% of athletics at it’s peak is genetics and steroids

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 12

• captchaos says:

We have seen Champions before be very very good in 1 area and hold the belt and do well. Hughes used his wrestling to dominate. His stand up was average at best. We have seen Randy use his wrestling. We are now seeing Brock using his wrestling. Even though I think Nate is a better all around fighter and is very good in all areas he is not great (no pun intended) at any 1. Chael is a beast of a wrestler. Forget about what happened in his losses with other guys years ago. Some sites still bring up his loss to Jeremy Horn. Why don’t we bring up Anderson’s losses to some no name Japs that never did anything in the UFC? Heck Anderson lost some fights years ago to less worthy comp than Chael did. Chael did to Okami what noone ever did to him. Chael did to Nate what no one did to him. Chael has not lost a round in his last 3 fights I believe. I think his wrestling is strong enough to take Anderson down and keep him down. Do I think he will win the fight? No But I think he has a shot. Anderson’s biggest weakness is his TD defense. Franklin took him down (briefly,) Hendo took him down, Nate got him down, etc… His last 3 opponenets were not guys who are gonna take him down and threaten him. Chael can and will take this dude down. How long and how much of an effect will he have remains the question. Come On to the guys who really root for Anderson.. The guy is so arrogant. I remember thinking Anderson was so humble back when he fought Rich. It turns out that he just needed to get warmed up. He CAN speak enough English to comunicate with us. I really think it’s extremely disrespectful that he comes here and doesn’t communicate to us the fans, the people who write his check. All the time he spends playing video games, paint ball, etc… He can learn some basic english. JDS has learned some English in his short time with us. Why can’t AS? He’s arrogant and he is disrespectful to us, the fans, and other fighters. Damian Maia seems like a really nice guy and he did nothing to disrespect AS before their fight yet Anderson went on a rampage During the fight. The guy is human. He will lose. And I hope the sooner the better. I like Chael’s chances. He is not good at Stand up or BJJ but his wrestling is really really good and 1 huge strength can out do 3 good strengths. Of course can AS come out and KO him in 30 seconds? Yes. Would it surprise me? No BUT the guy has a shot if the stars are aligned right. Watcha all think???

• ascormier1 says:

I’m going to use a Dan Hardy quote to help emphasize what I think after reading 90% of the comments on here: “I’m surprised [Anderson Silva] can get his pants on in the morning with everyone hanging from his nuts.”

Come on, no one is debating Anderson Silva’s talent, nor do I think Sonnen has much chance of winning. BUT, not too many people were giving him much of a chance against Nate M. either, nor were many people giving Serra a chance against GSP. And didn’t Joe Lauzon step in as a late, replacement nobody and knockout former champ, Jens Pulver (and this was before Jens was completely washed up). Someone mentioned it earlier….this is MMA and anything can happen. I know this is blasphemy for some of you but….GASP…. some day Anderson Silva is going to lose. Do you think it’s going to be against the guy who is afraid to fight him or the guy who doesn’t care what he has accomplished?

While it is clear that the UFC is trying to sell the fight by winking at Chael every time he insults Anderson, I think Sonnen has a point. Silva wants to take the high ground and do his talking in the cage….well do it then, PLEASE! Like Sonnen, I’m not buying anything Silva says about respecting opponents. I think he could care less about his opponents. Normally, I wouldn’t care one way or another, but enough with the inconsistency. Quit acting like such a hypocrite. He acts like a pretentious, omnipotent God in the cage by taunting his opponents in the cage and then wants to pretend to be respectful after.

I’m calling shenanigans.

As much as I appreciate Silva’s talent, I’m hoping Sonnen does what he is predicting and “puts a hole in [Silva's] face.”

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I stand by what I said as far as genetics and steroids goes-anyone who diagrees obviously isn’t involved at the high end level of MMA athletics

• danw84 says:

I stand by saying that anyone who says if someone disagrees with him, that the person who disagreed can’t know what they’re talking about, has a very weak ability to form an argument.

You may be right, but just saying so doesn’t hold much weight.