Ben Rothwell out nine months with torn ACL

Although he left the Octagon with the victory following his UFC 115 unanimous decision defeat of Gilbert Yvel, Ben Rothwell did not escape the bout unscathed.

According to MMAJunkie.com, Rothwell blew his ACL during the first takedown of the fight.

“It’s just one of those things where you hurt yourself, and you hear it, and you feel it, and you know it’s going to suck later,” said Rothwell, reflecting on the moment he knew he had severely damaged his ACL.

On Tuesday Rothwell had surgery to repair his ACL and a torn meniscus and currently expects to be out of action for about nine months.

“The average for something like this is six months to a year (of recovery), but [doctors] think that I’m going to be on the lower end of it,” said Rothwell.

“(Trainer) Matt Hume’s gone through a couple of knees and he thinks that nine months is what I should give myself until I feel like I’m really good and at 100 percent.”

• fanoftna33 says:

I like ben, hopefully we will see him back next summer.

• Dufresne says:

Man, knee injuries suck. Luckily Rothwell is still fairly young, so hopefully he’ll take the appropriate amount of time to let his knee heal up completely before he starts really testing it again.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Get better Ben and switch camps

• bigbadjohn says:

One of those guys who you always hear people calling ‘ fat, slow, or out of shape’ but obviously he can compete at a high level and would be one of the last people Id want to get into it with ever. Get well soon

• That sucks but truth be told, Rothwell has been given too much hype by the UFC. I know that’s off subject but I just felt the need to say it. I hope he gets better soon and comes back to the ring so Big Country can avenge that loss to him.

You guys gotta give it up To Ben that he was tough enough to go the distance after that type of injury…Im sure he will be back but the hw Landscape will surely be different

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Ben has no future in the UFC heavyweight division-Can he beat a Buentello?-Yes-But that’s about it