Alan Belcher scratched from UFC Fight Night 22 with eye injury

Middleweight contender Alan Belcher’s dream of eventually competing for a UFC championship has been temporarily put on hold, as the Duke Roufus product recently suffered a “detached retina” while training in Brazil. As a result of the injury “The Talent” has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against submission-specialist Demian Maia at UFC Fight Night 22 on September 15th in Austin, Texas.

An apologetic and understandably disappointed Belcher explained the situation in further detail on his Twitter account…

“While I was in Brazil I started losing my vision in my right eye. I saw a doctor that told me to go back to (the USA) immediately. My friend/surgeon from Biloxi got me an emergency surgery scheduled in Alabama now just trying to recover. No contact for six weeks. Sorry to my trainers. Sorry to UFC and Demian Maia, I know he has been training specifically for me. Sorry to my fans as well. As long as I get released from doctor I will try to make UFN 22 to see my fans and watch the fights.”

The 16-6 Belcher has finished two consecutive opponents, Patrick Cote and Wilson Gouveia, since dropping a razor-thin decision to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100. The performances brought his record to 7-4 in the Octagon including wins in four of his last five bouts.

• Dufresne says:

This sucks, but eye injuries aren’t something you play with.

I know several people that have had detached retinas, and randomly vision is a scary thing. From what they’ve told me, it’s not a sudden “who turned out the lights” kinda thing, it’s more like they start getting tunnel vision and see things floating across their visual field. They also said that by the time they noticed, it had been awhile since any type of injury; in one of my buddies case, it was more than a month since he hit his head getting out of a canoe.

Luckily everyone I know that has had their retina repaired got their vision back, most to 100% of what it was before surgery. Hopefully Belcher gets all of his back and can come back better than before.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Alan Belcher is one of my favorite fighters-I hope he heals fast-I would love to see him fight Vitor Belfort or Nate Marquardt upon his return

• Creature says:

Damn, this makes me mad, belcher is my 2nd favorite MW behind nate the great and i was hoping he would get this fight with maia and get the W because i believe he should be a top MW contender

• Guthookd says:

I hope he recovers 100%. Belcher is a fun fighter to watch and he seems to be on the upswing lately. Good luck to him. He’ll be back.

• boomnutz says:

i like his style (minus the pink shorts) and really wanted to see this fight. He’s got good jits but wanted to see how it would hold up. Anyway, i think the injury is a blessing in disguise, he could honestly be a future champ, but would get destroyed by Anderson if the fight were to happen anytime soon,

Real men wear pink

• Creature says:

Rich Franklin wears pink

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Alan Belcher needs to study the feet on the hips way of avoiding most of the Jujitsu moves-both Wanderlei and Mirko are masters of it