Kimbo Slice taking break from MMA for boxing

With this weekend’s headlines focused squarely on a boxer-turned-Mixed-Martial-Artist, former EliteXC/UFC fighter Kimbo Slice took advantage of the buzz to announce his intent to take do the reverse and try his hand – or fists as the case may be – at boxing.

Slice took to Twitter to reveal his plans, saying he hadn’t completely abandoned the sport of MMA but would be lacing up a larger pair of gloves in terms of his next in-ring appearance.

“Yes my next fight is gonna be in the boxing ring…I’m gonna throw these hands. Don’t count me out of MMA entirely though…”

Slice also stated his boxing debut was scheduled for October and that he would reveal more details as they became available.

The former YouTube sensation holds a professional MMA record of 4-2 and was 1-1 in the Octagon. He was released from the UFC shortly after his loss to Matt Mitrione at UFC 113 and hasn’t fought since.

• stone says:

Good move mister Slice… No need to worry about takedowns and leg kicks no more… Boxing is really your sport man!

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• CQBRA03 says:

I don’t know why he didn’t try this first since he has no wrestling, no BJJ, no ANYTHING but boxing!
    I doubt he will go anywhere in boxing either though, most pro boxers are better than the guys he beat up in the back yard.

• I hope it works out for him, but if his power didnt translate to the UFC I dont see how puttin 10 oz gloves on him will help him at all. Shorter rounds might not make him look so gassed so fast though.

He may give Boxing the spark it need in the HW division… Basically he is just going to repeat his career in MMA in boxing…It’s all about marketing and promotion…Hope fully he finds more success in boxing though, better do it quick he ain’t a spring chicken.

Believe it or not Roy Jones Jr. said depending on how heavy Kimbo is going to come in the ring he may be willing to throw down with him as long as kimbo has 3 or 4 successful outings first…I don’t think Kimbo has the reach to fuck with the champs though?… should he even make it that far.

• hindsightufuk says:

jerome le banner is still pursuing the early days of his boxing career. would make an interesting and tricky first fight.

• Hohlraum says:

In order to be counted out. You’d have to be counted in first. That never happened.

• Dufresne says:

I always hope that someone does well when they try their hands in a new field, but to be honest Kimbo doesn’t have much of a chance in pro-boxing.

MMA is a pretty new sport to the world at large, and because it’s only really gotten exposure in the last 5 or so years there just aren’t as many coaches or fighters as there are in boxing. An extremely experienced MMA coach may have 20 years under his belt, but during all 20 of those years the sport has been changing. Changing dramatically.

Boxing on the other hand has been around for centuries and other than the implementation of newer safety regulations, it hasn’t changed all that much in almost 100 years. The basics of boxing were laid out and how to coach them has been perfected for decades while MMA has a new wrinkle almost every year.

I guess what I’m trying to get at is that the guys he fought in MMA picked up the game a while back and it’s since passed them by (Tank Abott), they started in a different fighting style at a young age and switched over to MMA later (Petruzelli), or they simply picked MMA up in the last decade or so from scratch (every other fighter on his record). And all of those guys have been trained by coaches that may know tons about the basics of athletics (cardio, power, explosiveness) but few if any of them have grown old while perfecting the art of MMA coaching.
    But the boxers he’s going to be facing are different. Most of them have been focusing on boxing since a young age and have been coached by guys that have been around a rather static sport for longer than their fighters have been alive.

The coaches and the boxers have both been focusing on one area of fighting exclusively for longer than Kimbo has even been considering professional combat sports. If he couldn’t stand with guys that have been splitting their training between multiple disciplines, how in the world does he think he’s gonna fare against someone who’s only job has been learning how to bob and weave?

• LiverPunch says:

“Kimbo Slice taking break from MMA for boxing”

I just wish it never happened.

• LiverPunch says:

I just wish it never happened.

In the first place that is. He was never any good in the UFC, I suspect a lot of his wins in Elite were … I just suspect, and he was never really a great street fighter let alone a great MMA practitioner worthy of fighting in elite MMA organisations.
    A dark period in my life as a MMA fan has hopefully come to an end. If Batista and the like are any kind of gentleman they will refuse the money and hype until they have earned their place in a TV main event. such as SF, Dream and the UFC. But they wont and put in the same position I don’t know if I would either. I would like to think so but I am not around the 40 yr mark. If I become famous, if womens MMA really takes off and if I get the opportunity when I’m that age, I will be able to take the high moral ground but as it is I guess who can blame them..
    Having said that, I guess good luck Kimbo is in order.

” If I become famous, if womens MMA really takes off and if I get the opportunity when I’m that age, I will be able to take the high moral ground but as it is I guess who can blame them”
    -liverpunch

LP are you a female?? I’m confused?

• MCM says:

That’s what I was wondering Rece.
    BTW LiverPunch, I got you if it goes down between you and creature.

I was also gonna write something original about an untrained fighter with limited potential trying to make it in the world of boxing but Dufresne stole my notes…..touche’.

• Stotan says:

Kimbo looked like he lost his aggressive,go and take that guy out edge some time ago. When I last saw him he was just sort of hanging back and waiting,that obviously didn’t work for him. Boxing? He has a right to fight but he’s obviously too old to make a real run at a championship. But,couldn’t you see someone making a fight between him and Butterbean?
    A real problem with Kimbo is that he needs to work on his cardio,he just tires out way too soon.
    I remember reading somewhere that at the very beginning when Kimbo was trying to go mainstream MMA, that he was being trained or advised by Bas Rutten but was dropped because of his poor work ethic.

• Guthookd says:

Since I absolutely refuse to watch the horribly boring and one-sided sport of boxing I won’t be seeing his fight in October.

There is only one thing they could do to give boxing some appeal (at least for me), and that is to use 5oz gloves and get rid of those god damn pillows they strap on their hands. No more hour long boxing matches!!!

yeah those pillows do more harm than good…