Wanderlei Silva interested in fight with Chris Leben

With news recently breaking that Yushin Okami would test his chin against Vitor Belfort this November, fans of Chris Leben were left wondering what might be next for the Ultimate Fighter O.G. with “The Phenom” off the table.

Enter Wanderlei Silva.

In a match-up sounding as much like the title of a horror movie as a MMA bout, “The Axe Murderer” vs. “The Crippler” seems to be a likely possibility down the road so long as the former PRIDE champion gets his way. Silva spoke to MMAFighting
about his desire to fight Leben over the UFC 118 weekend.

“He won’t pass the first two rounds with me,” said Silva of Leben. “I saw his fight with (Yoshihiro) Akiyama. It was a great match, and he beat him in the final round. He’s a tough guy. He had only fought two weeks earlier. I think it will be perfect for my next fight. If he wants me, I’m going to fight him for sure.”

The latter part of the Brazilian’s statement appeared to be in reference to Leben calling him out after defeating Akiyama at UFC 116 last July. Silva was originally scheduled to face the Asian superstar at the event prior to pulling out a few weeks prior with a knee injury.

The thought of Silva and Leben trading shots is one sure to excite fans. Both men are known for their heavy hands and reckless abandon in the ring. In fifty-seven combined victories the two have knocked out thirty-six of the opponents they’ve beaten.

• Guthookd says:

Wish granted.

Hard to call this one. There was a time I’d never have given Leben even one round against W. Silva, but at this point I am going to have to go with Leben via KO in the first.

Either way though, what a great fight we’re going to get to see!!!! Hell yes – and I don’t mean the band!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 4

• moosebaby02 says:

I got the Axe Man on this one. late 2nd round.
    god damn this is going to be a good fight

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 3

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I got Leben via UD. Either that or it will be a “Rocky” moment where both KO the other at same time lol. Either way I am way excited to see these two beat the crap outta each other.

• twyg says:

“There Will Be Blood” should be the title of this ppv when it happens. Would love to see a KO in the third. Just an absolute Griffin vs. Bonner 1 style fight with a finish. That might be asking too much but I can dream. As for a winner my heart wants Silva, but if I had to put money on it I would go with Chris.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 2

• MCM says:

I’m gonna agree with Guthookd on Leben in the 2nd, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see these two pummel each other for three full rounds. If it does go to a Dec I still see Leben with his hand raised.
    Winner of this one gets winner of Vitor/Okami for a title shot.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Axe murderer by TKO. Too fast and Leben is too reckless. If Leben comes into the fight treating it like a golden opportunity to take a win over a legend and fights smart instead of fighting to be loved he stands a better chance but Leben has a few issues in my opinion. He is loved for the way he fights but it wont make him a champ.
    I have to disagree MCM the winner of Belfort and Okami gets a title shot but it wouldn’t surprise me if Okami wins that one, that they have another fight before he gets a shot (the UFC will hope he loses) but if Belfort wins he will get a shot straight away.

• Creature says:

I knew this was gonna happen :) and i got leben by KO, not sure which round, wanderlies chin isnt exactly spectacular and matched with lebens thunderous left hand and iron chin, i dont see the axe murderer pulling this off

• FightFan313 says:

Braul

• CQBRA03 says:

This would be a GREAT fight and a good fight to see which of these guys is worthy of a title shot. Guarenteed fireworks!

• stone says:

This is gonna be good!… Leben by KO because of a better chin! Leben is gonna come in, gloves low and swingin hard and Wanderlei is gonna start his “windmill” flury and Leben will be able to take one that Wanderlei can’t… But wanderlei isn’t breathing with his mouth wide open any more!… Hmmmm? CAN’T WAIT!!!!

• elkymbo says:

I know it’s probably not possible but I think both of these boys are gonna be even uglier after this punch up. I love nothing better than being in the middle of watching a blue and jumping up yelling SLUG FEST and I have a funny feeling that’s gonna be happening in this one. Two thumbs up out of 10.

I’ve been waiting for this………

Leben via TKO/KO rd. 2.

I think it’s his time right now.

• sides666 says:

Got to go with wandy by vicous ko in the opening minute or so i like leben as much as the next guy i just see wandy being to fast and explosive

• Niv says:

The only thing I’m sure of in this fight is we’re all going to jump out of our seats at some point in this fight.

The chances of this fight going the distance are as close to zero as you’e ever going to get.

Wandy of five years ago may give Leben permanent brain damage, this version I’m not sure of.

My guess is Wandy will still ko Leben, only reason I say that is Leben is mosty dangerous when he’s hurt and that’s when he goes into his toe to toe lights out exchanges, however Wandy is a pure finisher like no other when he has you hurt. If we get to this scenario I bet Wandy puts him away, but we all know Wandy’s chin isn’t what it used to be either.

• JollyDV says:

I guess we will find out if the new chin and cheek implants will hold up.

• Dufresne says:

You know, I said the exact same thing when they finally matched up Wandy and Chuck a few years back (has it really been 3 years?) and I was wrong there as well. But happily so. If Leben and Wandi go at it like Chuck and Wandi went at it for 3 rounds, I’m gonna be bouncing off the walls.

I gotta go with Leben via KO, but anyway this goes (except a crappy judging call or bad decision) is gonna make me happier than a pig in shit.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

“Handsome” Wanderlei Silva TKO RND 2.
    Let’s face it, he’s not the “Axe Murderer” any more
    But he still has enough to beat Leben.

• hindsightufuk says:

love to see it but isnt Wand out til next year?

• Dufresne says:

love to see it but isnt Wand out til next year?

Yep. Wandi had knee surgery and the docs say he’s out till at least the beginning of 2011. I guess I can wait that long for this one though…

• JBAR says:

If they could stomp and kick a downed opponent Silva would win this one going away. Man I miss Pride sometimes. This one will probable come down to which one can land the clean shot first. I will take Silva by KO in the second with a vicious knee.

• manny says:

This match up has FOTN written all over it.
    Silva by KO