Ronaldo Souza: “I feel fine being the champion of Strikeforce, but I want more than that.”

Newly crowned Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza is as unique an individual as you’ll find in the division. Not only possessing enough Jiu-Jitsu artistry to turn any ring’s blank canvas into a masterpiece, the Brazilian is also extremely humble, full of positive energy, and became a father for the first time a day before his title-winning performance in August against Tim Kennedy.

However, not comfortable resting on his heels and with a new mouth to feed, Souza made it clear in a conversation with Brazilian publication Tatame he’s continuing to work hard on his evolution as a fighter and still hopes to defend his middleweight belt before year’s end.

“(Striking) was the way I found to win (the Kennedy) fight. Of course I prefer the ground fight, but it’s a long way until you get there and sometimes it ain’t easy…I also thought he’d try to take me down too, so I’d use my strong point, which is my Jiu-Jitsu,” said Souza. “I train very little the stand-up game, but I’m learning a lot from my coaches: Distak on MMA and Boxing, Cesário on Boxing, and Tunico on Muay Thai. I know it’s very important to me to evolve while standing up, because I want to be a complete MMA fighter: I have to be great on the takedowns, takedown defenses, stand-up game, making or passing the guard.”

The 30-year old, multi-time World Jiu-Jitsu winner also clarified why he wasn’t satisfied with relaxing for the remainder of 2010 as opposed to staying active in the ring. “I feel fine being the champion of Strikeforce, but I want more than that. My victory is gone, now I want to put my belt in line. I want to fight one more time this year,” he explained.

Souza is 13-2 in his career with only a single loss since his MMA debut in 2003. He has beaten ten opponents by way of submission with the other three victories being of the decision variety. In addition to Kennedy, “Jacare” holds notable wins in his career over Joey Villasenor, Matt Lindland, and Jason “Mayhem” Miller.

Strikeforce, but I want more than that…

I know the feeling… I too need more than SF…

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 19 Thumb down 10

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I will probably get a lot of negatives but I beleive this guy is the best MW in the world at the moment. He has the take downs and BJJ to beat the likes of Silva and he has the stand up to beat those as good as him on the ground. He may have problems with fighters such as Sonnen and Belfort but I believe he would win. Just my opinion.

“Strikeforce, but I want more than that”

I know the feeling… I need more than mindless SF bashing.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 15

• twyg says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 14

• bigbadjohn says:

really Logic? Souza? a win over Kennedy and Lindland and a loss to Mousasi is pretty grim evidence to support your hypothesis that he’s the best MW in the world… either you have an incredible bias to any org. not named Zuffa as pointed out by twyg orrrrr you think the best looking physique translates to being the best fighter. May I remind you he has no top 10 MW wins? Your claim again lacks LOGIC. an equivalent statement to yours would be: Cavalcante is the best LHW in the world. Even though he hsan’t fought any fighters of the deep LHW roster in the UFC. Sounds kinda crazy. right?

” I beleive this guy is the best MW in the world at the moment.”

Hmmm speaking of mindless comments…
    : )

• moosebaby02 says:

I know its your opinion and your free to it but you really cant think that that post has any logic

• twyg says:

Wow all the thunbs down, and everyone else is bashing MMA-LOGIC as well. Must be all the canadians putting me down for my hit on their man crush GSP. Don’t hate me because I’m right.

• dpk says:

What does his Champion’s clause say? Sounds like he wants to cash in and go to UFC.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think Souza is the best MW in the world, but with that kind of ground game and his aggressive takedowns to get him there I have to put him top 5 personally.

I also like that he wants to fight again soon, but I don’t think it’s exactly fair to bash GSP because he fights a couple of times a year.
    Neither do these ZUFFA champs:
    Silva (2x 2010 and 2x 2009)
    Lesnar (2x 2010, 1x 2009, yes I know he was sick)
    Edgar (2x 2010, 2x 2009, 2x 2008)
    Faber (2x 2010 with possibly 1 more, 2x 2009, 2x 2008)
    Cruz (2x 2010, 3x 2009, 2x 2008, 1x 2007).

My point is, there are a ton of fighters that only get 2 fights a year, more so when you get to the upper echelon of competition, so it’s not fair to bash on one fighter because of that.

And I think the reason you got all the thumbs down had more to do with how you phrased things and because of comments like “again with your assinine comment” and “I just find your unbridled hatered for zuffa, and your love affair with anything that isn’t zuffa amusing.”.

At least those are the reasons I gave you a thumbs down, because otherwise your point on having a guy defend on a regular basis is right about how I feel as well.

• boomnutz says:

i’m not canadian, i gave you a thumbs up because i was glad you pointed out his bias towards UFC, but GSP is the man, plain and simple, and i think the reason why he fights to sparingly has more to do with the UFC than it does the fighter. They can’t just throw undeserving opponents at him just to have him fight, and the same can be said of all the other champions listed, the only belt that seems up for grabs continually is the LHW and that’s because the belt changes hands so often. Also, i’m sure there’s lengthy breaks in between to give the fighters the best chances of having a good camp and clear any lingering injuries, after all you want your fighters at their best, when they fight, especially for a title fight.

• boomnutz says:

oh and one more thing, sucks, i’d like to see Souza fight some UFC caliber fighters before giving him a top 5 billing, though i must admit, he’s well rounded and continually gets better, he’s dangerous.