Strikeforce inks hard-hitter Paul Daley to contract

PRESE RELEASE / NEW YORK (Sept. 15, 2010) – Top-10 world-ranked welterweight, Paul Daley, has signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce

The 5-foot-9, 27-year-old native of London who fights out of Nottingham, England, has won two straight and six of his last seven. Overall, the cocky, brash seven-year pro is 25-9-2.

Nicknamed “Semtex” after an explosive that British armed forces use to demolish large structures, Daley is coming off a unanimous three-round decision over recent Strikeforce signee, Jorge Masvidal, last Saturday, September 11th. It was the first time since July 1, 2006, that Daley had won a fight on points.

Daley is a freelance mixed martial artist whose style is an aggressive mix of striking, striking and more striking.

“I am a striker – there is no secret about that,’’ the exciting British bomber said. “I like to knock people out aggressively and quickly. That’s my game and no opponent’s going to change that. Almost all my fights are exciting and memorable with non-stop action.’’

Daley specializes in Muay Thai (Dutch style). He utilizes lead leg kicks often and possesses devastating knees and quick, heavy hands.

“I’m looking forward to fighting for Strikeforce and would really love to fight (current Strikeforce welterweight champ) Nick Diaz,’’ Daley said. “He’s a big name and a great fighter. Diaz would bring out the best in me and would be a great test.’’

Daley, who has compiled a highlight reel of impressive knockout victories, has competed against some of the best since turning professional in June 2003. Three of his most significant victories came against Masvidal, a 2:24, first-round KO (punches) over Dustin Hazelett on January 2nd, 2010, and a 2:31, first-round TKO (punches) over Martin Kampmann on September 19th, 2009.

A former Cage Rage champion, Daley appeared on a Strikeforce co-promoted card on June 22, 2007. On the undercard of Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni in San Jose, California, he registered a second-round TKO (punches) over Duane “Bang’’ Ludwig.

Daley was introduced to martial arts when he began taking karate at the age of 7. Besides England, he also trains in Holland. For a time several years ago, Daley was involved in a project with Mothers Against Guns in London.

Good for them the division is shallow……hopefully he makes weight & doesn’t sucker punch any body.

• Guthookd says:

Hopefully he learns how to wrestle so he can live up to his awesome potential.

As far as sucker punching goes…..if he ever fights Nick I think they’ll probably punch each other whenever they see each other from that point forward, sucker-style or otherwise. That will breed a permanent rivalry. :) My favorite!!

• qat says:

i never thought of him as someone having “awesome potential”, he can still go ways, but i think diaz owns his ass.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Paul daley will definitely provide some much needed fireworks in the strike force WW division-I can already see Diaz and Daley making headlines with their eventual prefight quotes

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Noons vs. Daley would be fun if Noons stays at 170.

• Dufresne says:

Diaz would destroy Daley.
    Diaz has a good enough ground game to be a danger to anyone he faces and I personally think his standup is levels ahead of Daley’s. Even if Daley could find his range with Diaz’s unorthodox striking style, I don’t think Daley could one shot KO Diaz. That means even in the best case scenario they’ll end up on the ground where Diaz will make Daley look like an amateur that stumbled into a master class of “How to lose a limb/consciousness in under 90 seconds!”

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I actually couldn’t agree with you more Dufresne-the reality is that Diaz would rise to the occasion and taunt Daley to no end until he achieves the stoppage-If Daley thought fighting Koscheck was frustrating-wait til he gets a load of Diaz

• MMA-LOGIC says:

So the signings for SF continue. I just hope Bellator, Dream, M1 and WVR keep coming to the party and we get to see Melendez vs Alverez, Aleks vs Big Foot, Lawler vs Lombard, Amoussou vs Manhoef and so on.
    I love co-promotion.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Excellent choice of possible match ups LOGIC-It kind of awakens me as to how many “dream fights” we are missing out on due to the UFC monopoly on MMA