Bas Rutten comments on steroid use in Mixed Martial Arts

Bas Rutten may be a former UFC heavyweight champ and multi-time “King of Pancrase”, but to a newer generation of fans he is one of the primary voices of Mixed Martial Arts based on his ringside commentary work and insightful, playful antics as a co-host on HDNet’s popular “Inside MMA” series.

“El Guapo”, who is as opinionated as he is colorful, wore both the hat of experience and as tribune of the sport when he took Twitter on Tuesday to offer up his thoughts on the use of performance enhancing drugs in MMA.

“I am just blown away with who gets caught. What happened to good food, water and some supplements? That’s what I did, and I never had a problem with people being stronger or in better shape.

Listen, if you had shoulder surgery, or whatever surgery, and the doc tells you that you will heal faster, do it, but then do NOT fight! This is giving the sport a bad name, everything (MMA does) is already “frowned upon” like masturbating in an airplane.

Sorry, had to do that…was writing and thought about ‘The Hangover’. But seriously, it’s very sad, and you do NOT need (steroids). If you can’t train had anymore because you are getting up there in age, then don’t fight – very simple.

I could never look at myself in the mirror if I would have cheated – never – and don’t give me the BS excuse “but everybody is doing it”. Yeah, lots of people don’t use their freaking turn signal. That doesn’t mean that I also simply not gonna do it. I use this example because those people stress me out…just don’t care about anybody else but their selves. And that’s the same as using PED’s. Don’t care about our sport getting a bad name, ‘as long as I get better’.”

Rutten was 28-4-1 in his MMA career and 21-0-1 over his last twenty-two match-ups before to officially retiring from the sport in 2006 (though he actually hadn’t fought since the late 1990s prior to his final bout). He holds notable wins in the past over Kevin Randleman, Frank Shamrock, and Guy Mezger.

• Dufresne says:

is already “frowned upon” like masturbating in an airplane.

lmao! I can actually hear Bas saying this and it cracks me the hell up.

Well-Done. Thumb up 55 Thumb down 0

• fanoftna33 says:

Bas is great. He is the single best personality out there today.

Well-Done. Thumb up 48 Thumb down 0

• moosebaby02 says:

i have to agree with both of you. god almost baited myself out when i read that line here at work sitting in a meating

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

• bivinsm says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 6 Thumb down 18

• silkshot61 says:

Thanks a lot Bin Laden…

Bas is spot on with this. If the doctor gives them to you use them, but don’t fight. I know it’s easier said than done because let’s face it a lot of fighters use this sport as there sole income, and it’s pay is not all that much. All I can say is Chael better have an amazing reason for his PED test or hope he has enough money to cover his ass for the next year.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

• king mah mah says:

Almost spit my drink out when I read the hangover line! Wasn’t expecting that at all. Bas is a funny motherfucker!

That said, yeah he hit the nail right on the head when he said only use them under doctor’s orders. I mean come on! Even if you are cheating…………. you haven’t figured out how to beat the system yet? That’s your own goddamn fault! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• king mah mah says:

I think Chael needs to have a chat with Lesnar on how to pass a drug test!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 17

• nothing_shank says:

King,
    I don’t like brock at all, but I seriously doubt he’s rockin the roids. He’s already huge for his weight. Most fighters that have to cut a lot of lbs aren’t going to use something that bulks them up. It just wouldn’t make sense. Sure he did them in wwf, but he was around 300lb then, and physique was a prerequisite for him. That’s no longer an issue.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 5

• elkymbo says:

Bas should be commentating next to Joe Rogan in the ufc.

And on a side note, has anyone noticed that Mike Goldberg always looks like he’s had a heavy night on the charlie at every event lately? Or is it that HD has just bought out the bags under his eyes?

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

• hindsightufuk says:

Bas is a legend, i love him man, so gutted we never got to see him fight Frank Shamrock in the UFC and Wanderlei in Pride, both fights were so close to happening as well

i think fighters should be piss tested at any time leading up to a fight

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

“…and don’t give me the BS excuse “but everybody is doing it”. Yeah, lots of people don’t use their freaking turn signal. That doesn’t mean that I also simply not gonna do it. I use this example because those people stress me out…just don’t care about anybody else but their selves.”

Funny Stuff… God Speed and Party on.

• boomnutz says:

yea, def. agree, Brock’s just huge, look at him in high school or college, he’s always been huge…

I wish the UFC could get Bas Rutten…he’s hysterical, i know i shouldn’t even ask but have you all seen his self defense video, hilarious…

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

• Niv says:

I love Bas and he’s spot on. Now if any of you guys truly believe Brock is all natural I think you’re kidding yourselves.

Brock was arrested on suspicion of possessing steroids years ago and got off because it turned out he had a ton of HGH on him instead. At that time HGH wasn’t illegal, but still do this day there isn’t one reliable test to expose HGH.

If he had it before and it’s next to impossible to detect do you really believe he’s clean?

• danw84 says:

The only fighters who aren’t clean are whatever fighters I don’t like. For example, that juicing Rashad Evans.