Jeremy Stephens: “I’m still not sure how I didn’t get the win.”

Unfortunately, one of the primary talking points emerging from last weekend’s UFC 119 event had nothing to do with the performance of an athlete but rather the job done by ringside officials. While questionable scoring is not a new topic in Mixed Martial Arts, the ugly issue reared its head again at the show in a significant way thanks to more than one eyebrow-raising result.

One of the victims of the judges’ expertise or lack thereof was lightweight Jeremy Stephens who found himself on the wrong end of a split decision against Melvin Guillard after serving as an aggressor throughout the bulk of the bout. Stephens recently took to popular MMA forum The Underground and expressed his surprise over the manner in which he walked away from Indianapolis a loser.

“ It wasn’t a good/exciting fight like I typically put up, but I always fight to win the KO and FOTN bonus, so sorry he kept running and I didn’t get an exciting fight for you all,” Stephens explained. “I pushed forward the whole fight, dropped him a couple times, and I never got hurt or put on my back. I’m still not sure how I didn’t get the win. It sucks, but I’ll be back better then ever. I wish he came to stand in the middle and fight. Regardless, I won.”

Prior to the loss, “Lil Heathen” had won back-to-back fights. He is 17-6 overall in his career and holds notable victories over Sam Stout and Cole Miller.

• cocoonofhorror says:

‘lil Nog is probably thinking the same thing.

the judges for this event were ATROCIOUS.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 14

• stone says:

Yep ol’ Melvin G is a thru n thru Greg Jackson camper… When its time to fight lower level competition, kick some ass. When it’s time to fight higher level fighters, “oCtAgOn-CoNtRoL” the win! Reguardless, Stephens won that fight in mine and a lot other fans eyes! Better luck next time Jeremy!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 12

• Rich S. says:

If Jeremy would’ve been his normal, aggressive self, he probably would’ve gotten the win. But, he was tentative to exchange, and rarely hit Melvin at all. He practically never found his range and only occasionally landed uppercuts and body shots. With that said, Melvin hardly landed any shots himself, but perhaps the judges saw him as the more active fighter.

As for Nog, I actually thought he would get the decision, but, he DID get taken down in every round. I thought his dominance in the standup, especially in rounds 2 and 3, would seal the deal, but, Bader got the victory off those short takedowns.

The most incredible decision was the one for Sean Sherk. I was pleasantly surprised to see the dominant champion return fast and strong in the first round, but, not even a fan of his could say he won that last two. Despite holding Evan on the cage for those rounds, he was rocked badly and frequently, and was almost always fighting out of some sort of submission.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 8

• Guthookd says:

Jeremy won.

Lil Nog lost IMO.

Sherk lost.

I love questionable decisions.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 9

• MCM says:

I haven’t been able to catch the Stevens and Nog fights but I actually thought Sherk won his fight. I thought he controlled the first 3 min of the 2nd round and was countering Dunham pretty effectively during most of the striking exchanges. Now, if Evan would have been able to find his range like he did at the end of the 2nd and throughout the 3rd a minute earlier, I would have easily given him the fight. But as it stands, I think a SD win for Sherk was the right call.

But, I think we can all agree that judges knowledge of MMA hasn’t come along nearly as far as fans knowledge. And until there are truly educated judges deciding these matches, it behooves a fighter to do everything humanly possible to Never leave it in their hands.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 6

• MCM says:

*Stephens* fight

I agree with the sentiments that officials make some questionable judgements but I also agree with the “don’t let it go to the judges” sentiments… At this point there’s enough examples of controversial or questionable decisions that fighters need to stop being so surprised.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Get rid of the incompetent/boxing judges and let’s get some grade “A” MMA specific trained judges-Damn!-I hate the politics-I thought stephens won on aggressiveness alone(not that much happened anyways)-Lil Nog/Bader was just there-And Dunham definitely outdid the one elbow done by Sherk

• Talengard says:

I had Sherk winning 1 and 2, but I think Dunham did more damage. If it was Japan and they scored the fight as a whole not round by round, I would have given it to Dunham.

I also had Guillard winning his fight due to effective striking and being what appeared to be more dominant. By dominant I mean he was able to stick to his gameplan and frustrate Stephens, which looked like winning.

As far as Bader and Nog, I fell asleep during the walk out music and didn’t wake up till round 2, and what I saw didn’t make me want to rewatch it.

If there was a better way to start scoring the fight as a whole I’d say let’s start doing that, I think the rounds should be a quick breather for the fighters, not a basis for how to judge.

• Makington says:

One thing I noticed specifically about this fight was the fact that it had probably one of the lowest accuracy ratings a fight has had in a while. I haven’t checked the stats or anything so maybe I’m wrong but everytime they finally started throwing punches to eachother it just seemed like none ever came close to really connecting to either fighter. Melvin did get caught a little off guard early in the first, but from there they hit a lot of air.

Sure, Stephens stalked Melvin more but he wasn’t that aggressive with his stand up. I think their punch totals will be somewhat close. It definitely wasn’t the fight I was expecting, but I didn’t mind too much. I wasn’t too surprised with the decision either the way I was about the Sherk/Dunham decision but that’s the thing about split decisions when we all see them different ways.

• Dufresne says:

A-Freaking-Men.

• JBAR says:

I agree with the concept of judging the fight as a whole but I think you could accomplish that in a round by round scoring system if you lower the criteria for a 10-8 round.

• boomnutz says:

i thought Dunham, Stephens and Lil Nog all should have won, and in that order in terms of how ripped off they got. But you know what, despite the fact that’s he’s bitching about losing, and not having a game fighter, he wasn’t pushing the action as much as he claimed. Part of the onus has to be on the fighters for letting fights drag out like this, and you can look to Dunham as a perfect example, regardless of how the fight started out, he kept bringing it, Stephens could have learned something from him…this is exactly why the best fighers are usually the most well rounded too

• Mr. Roze says:

Stephens stop complaining, take it as a lesson learned a next time and be more aggressive. If your not having success on your feet then change your game up and get him in the clinch and do some dirty boxing or take him down and do some Ground ‘n Pound. But don’t spend three rounds punching at air and then complain about the decision. Guillard you let me down in this fight to, I expected an all out war and got a very forgettable fight instead.

• BigDave says:

Ok these are the facts!

Judging in MMA is horrible at best. Jeremy stevens won the fight with Melvin easily IMO just for the simple fact he rocked him twice and pushed forward the whole fight while Guilard ran around like a little bitch not really wanting to fight. Correct scoring on this fight would be 30-27 Stevens.

Sean Sherk came out in the first and although not dominant won the first round but that is where it stopped for Sherk. Dunhame took the next two rounds by superior striking and control of where the fight went. 29-28 Dunham.

Nog vs. Bader was really tough to call both guys did there share of controlling the fight. It could have gone either way as in my mind there was no guy that clearly took over that fight. I gave the slight edge to Bader in the second round which proved to be the difference in my scoring of the fight. I can’t beleive that anyone could call it 30-27 let alone all three of the blind mice at ringside. 29-28 Bader.

Lets get some real MMA guys to judge this or MMA is going to have a hard time staying legit.

• JBAR says:

Hell you could make it like American Idol or any of the other BS shows like it and have the fans watching the fight just call in at the end of each round and score it and you would get better judging than what we have today.

• brettlevy says:

Here’s how you didn’t get the win. You swung over and over and Guillard moved out of the way because he is twice as fast. Then Guillard would punch you in the face and dodge your counter punch. When you get hit over and over again and then swing and miss over and over again you lose . . . even if you are walking forward the whole time.

• […] 119 has been a popular point of discussion from media, fans, and even one of the involved fighters (Jeremy Stephens) since the show took place nearly two weeks ago. One of Stephens’ PPV-peers is now joining him in […]