Nick Diaz vs KJ Noons – Head to Head Comparison

Strikeforce CEO Coker has a feeling there might be a little bad blood between Nick Diaz and KJ Noons, and to that end, Coker told Ariel Helwani during The MMA Hour that he’ll have lots of beefy security on hand to make sure things stay in bounds.

Diaz recently wrote a check after Strikeforce: Nashville for his part in the televised brouhaha that took place between Gilbert Melendez, Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller in the cage after the Shields contest with Dan Henderson.

“I’ll tell you what – if we leave those two guys in a room alone, I think you know what’s going to happen,” Coker told Helwani. “We’re going to have a wall of security there. We’ve brought extra police to handle the weigh-ins, the press conference and pretty much a wall of people will be there for the night of the fight. We have to take precautionary measures because these guys have this big feud – and it’s not just them, it’s their camps.”

The two meet again at Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II on Saturday at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., and the main card will air live on Showtime.

The last time the pair met,  at EliteXC: Renegade back in 2007, Noons managed to pick Diaz apart and the fight ended as a bloodied Diaz was unable to continue – at least according to the doctor on hand.

Since then, Diaz has had surgery to shave the orbital bones above his eyes, worked on his standup game with elite boxer Andre Ward and received his black belt in jiu-jitsu from trainer and manager, Cesar Gracie. He’s won seven straight and looked dangerous during the course of that streak.

For his part, Noons has put together a six-fight win streak of his own. His last outing, a dominant performance against Jorge Gurgel for Strikeforce, set up the rematch with Diaz.

KJ Noons

HEIGHT: 5’11
WEIGHT: 170 lbs
RECORD: 10-2

10-2 Jorge Gurgel KO (Punches)
9-2 Conor Heun Decision (Split)
8–2 Andre Amade Decision (Unanimous)
7–2 Yves Edwards TKO (Punches and Elbows)
6–2 Nick Diaz TKO (Cuts)
5–2 James Edson Berto KO (Knee)
4–2 Charles Bennett KO (Punch)
4–1 Harris Sarmiento TKO (Strikes)
3–1 Bryson Kamaka KO (Head Kick)
2–1 Malik Williams TKO (Punches)
1–1 Buddy Clinton Submission (Heel Hook)
1–0 Raul Guerra TKO (Corner Stoppage)

Nick Diaz’ MMA Record

HEIGHT: 6’1″
WEIGHT: 170 lbs
RECORD: 22-7-1

22–7–0 Hayato Sakurai Submission (Armbar)
21–7–0 Marius Žaromskis TKO (Punches)
20–7–0 Scott Smith Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
19–7–0 Frank Shamrock TKO (Punches)
18–7–0 Thomas Denny TKO (Punches)
17–7–0 Muhsin Corbbrey TKO (Punches)
16–7–0 Katsuya Inoue TKO (Corner Stoppage)
15–7–0 K.J. Noons TKO (Cuts)
15–6–0 Mike Aina Decision (Split)
14–6–0 Takanori Gomi No Contest
14–6 Gleison Tibau TKO (strikes)
13–6 Josh Neer Submission (Kimura)
12–6 Ray Steinbeiss Decision (Split)
11–6 Sean Sherk Decision (Unanimous)
11–5 Joe Riggs Decision (Unanimous)
11–4 Diego Sanchez Decision (Unanimous)
11–3 Koji Oishi TKO (Punches)
10–3 Drew Fickett TKO (Punches)
9–3 Karo Parisyan Decision (Split)
9–2 Robbie Lawler KO (Punch)
8–2 Jeremy Jackson Submission (Arm bar)
7–2 Jeremy Jackson TKO (Punches)
6–2 Joe Hurley Submission (kimura)
5–2 Kuniyoshi Hironaka Decision (Split)
5–1 Harris Sarmiento TKO (Towel)
4–1 Jeremy Jackson KO (Punches)
4–0 Adam Lynn Submission (Armbar)
3–0 Blaine Tyler TKO (Punches)
2–0 Chris Lytle Decision
1–0 Mike Wick Submission (Triangle Choke)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ORO-5phf0[/youtube]

• Dufresne says:

I’m pulling for Diaz here, and I think he’ll get it if he fights smart.

If it looks like Noons is getting the better of him on the feet again, he needs to get the fight to the ground any way he can. His submission game is worlds better than Noons’s is and if he can get it to the canvas, he’ll have a huge advantage even off of his back.

Good call Coker in getting these two the rematch they wanted, even better call to have extra security on hand just in case.

I’m pulling for KJ…

Cokers comments about security are just his attempts to continue to hype the fight…

• MCM says:

I’m still pulling for that DOUBLE KO!!!

But in all honesty, I don’t see how Diaz looses this one. He’s been in there with good strikers before and come out on the winning end.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I think Diaz will get lit up by Noons on the feet again but I see Diaz getting Noons down and subbed by the second round

• Angry Mike says:

Diaz has faced tougher competition than Noons He’s improved since their first fight, and I don’t think Noons has. Gotta go with Diaz., probably by decision, although a submission is within the realm of possibility.

• BigDave says:

A double KO would make me very happy. I’m not a fan of either of these guys and im just looking forward to both of them getting hurt.

• fanoftna33 says:

I cant wait to see Noones get KOed here. I think Diaz has the edge everywhere in this fight and unlike Gurgel he is probably not going to get caught by a late punch. And the few times ive seen Noones go three rounds he has been pretty tired out whereas Diaz could probably go 8 hard rounds, I dont really see any way for Noones to get a win here.

• Rich S. says:

Diaz better win this. He was off in the first fight, and right now he’s fighting better than ever. There’s really no reason for him to lose. His chin is granite, his reach and unorthodox style grant him striking that can certainly hang with Noons’, and the differences between their ground games are laughable.

I’m not sure why, but I never quite jumped on the KJ Noons bandwagon, and I still can’t quite see him as one of the best out there. Maybe if he wins in convincing fashion here I’ll have no other choice but to recognize his ability. But, more likely, I’ll never be a true fan of his. Maybe I’m still bitter over their first fight. Maybe if Diaz pummels him I’ll actually gain respect for him. We’ll see.

• fanoftna33 says:

I liked K J enough at first but he has done nothing but proven himself to be a dirty fighter, and as much as people hat the Diaz attitude you cant complain about him being a dirty fighter.

• Jak says:

As long as it’s not a cheap loss/injury loss, i’m stoked on whoever wins.

If Noons pulls it out, then he’ll have done it twice. He’s annoying as hell to listen to when tries to trash talk, but fun to watch.

And Diaz… they always impress me, would definitely be rooting for Nick.