twitter google

Shane Carwin, Roy Nelson May Settle Their Special Vitamins Debate at UFC 125

It looks like Shane Carwin will get a chance to redress his grievances against Roy Nelson at UFC 125 on the traditional January 1 card in Las Vegas.

“I do not care who the opponent is,” Carwin wrote. “I have been in the gym working hard. It is time to see where I belong in the mix.”

Carwin and Nelson got into an interweb fracas over Carwin’s role in a steroid scandal earlier this year.

Nelson lit the fire – and Carwin answered – via their Twitter accounts:

Roy Nelson – “Just woke up and was reading the mma news websites and only one had real news ufc champ shane carwin steroids court case. I am surprised that athletes in mma do steroids ;( that explains body types.”

Shane Carwin – “I love Roy Nelson trying to elevate his status by talking smacks. Hopefully he is doing so on a treadmil. Some have rolls he has a bakery.”

After coming within moments of collecting the UFC heavyweight title against Brock Lesnar at UFC 116, Carwin named by a U.S. attorney as one of nearly two dozen athletes who obtained steroids through an Alabama pharmacy. The Mobile Press Register reported that a federal judge sentenced J. Michael Bennett, a pharmacist at Applied Pharmacy Services, to four years in prison for his part in a group which illegally sold anabolic steroids from an operation in Mobile, Alabama, and Carwin was on the list of recipients. Court records said that Applied Pharmacy Services delivered nearly 800,000 doses of steroids to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until August 30, 2006. Assistant U.S. Attorney, Donna Dobbins, released a list of names (which included Carwin’s) who the prosecutor said had obtained steroids from Bennett.

Carwin (12-1) scored a first-round knockout of Frank Mir in March to win an interim title, then nearly finished champ Brock Lesnar in the opening round at July’s UFC 116 before he gassed and was submitted in the second. The loss was the first for Carwin in the UFC and followed four-straight wins.

Nelson (15-5) dropped a hard-fought unanimous decision to heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos in August after he began his UFC career with back-to-back wins over Brendan Schaub and Stefan Struve.

Nelson is currently rehabbing after knee surgery, and that rehab may yet delay the Carwin-Nelson fight.