Shane Carwin, Roy Nelson May Settle Their Special Vitamins Debate at UFC 125

It looks like Shane Carwin will get a chance to redress his grievances against Roy Nelson at UFC 125 on the traditional January 1 card in Las Vegas.

“I do not care who the opponent is,” Carwin wrote. “I have been in the gym working hard. It is time to see where I belong in the mix.”

Carwin and Nelson got into an interweb fracas over Carwin’s role in a steroid scandal earlier this year.

Nelson lit the fire – and Carwin answered – via their Twitter accounts:

Roy Nelson – “Just woke up and was reading the mma news websites and only one had real news ufc champ shane carwin steroids court case. I am surprised that athletes in mma do steroids ;( that explains body types.”

Shane Carwin – “I love Roy Nelson trying to elevate his status by talking smacks. Hopefully he is doing so on a treadmil. Some have rolls he has a bakery.”

After coming within moments of collecting the UFC heavyweight title against Brock Lesnar at UFC 116, Carwin named by a U.S. attorney as one of nearly two dozen athletes who obtained steroids through an Alabama pharmacy. The Mobile Press Register reported that a federal judge sentenced J. Michael Bennett, a pharmacist at Applied Pharmacy Services, to four years in prison for his part in a group which illegally sold anabolic steroids from an operation in Mobile, Alabama, and Carwin was on the list of recipients. Court records said that Applied Pharmacy Services delivered nearly 800,000 doses of steroids to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until August 30, 2006. Assistant U.S. Attorney, Donna Dobbins, released a list of names (which included Carwin’s) who the prosecutor said had obtained steroids from Bennett.

Carwin (12-1) scored a first-round knockout of Frank Mir in March to win an interim title, then nearly finished champ Brock Lesnar in the opening round at July’s UFC 116 before he gassed and was submitted in the second. The loss was the first for Carwin in the UFC and followed four-straight wins.

Nelson (15-5) dropped a hard-fought unanimous decision to heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos in August after he began his UFC career with back-to-back wins over Brendan Schaub and Stefan Struve.

Nelson is currently rehabbing after knee surgery, and that rehab may yet delay the Carwin-Nelson fight.

• Niv says:

This has the makings of a pretty good HW titlt, definitely a fight I’d like to see.

If Nelson can survive the initial onslaught this could become intriguing on many levels.

On another note I know this is a mma site but this past weekend a fight took place in K1 Max that absolutely anyone who loves fights has to see. Mike Zambidis vs Chahid Oulad ElHadj was the best fight I have seen in a very long time. These two guys stepped into the ring and litterally tried to kill each other, if you like striking you’ll lose your mind watching this fight.

• Creature says:

roy better prey he can get this 2 the ground quick, he may have eaten tons of shots from
    JDS but carwin has way more power and if he tries standing with him its not gonna go well 4 nelson, and since he couldnt take JDS down i have a hard time believing he can take carwin down

• bigbadjohn says:

I think Nelson’s got a much better shot against a less technical fighter like Carwin than a sharpshooter like Junior… at least on his feet. I believe Roys striking is as good as need be to stand with Shane. Roy will have to watch that power obviously, though I can’t see Nelson having much for Carwin’s cage clinch, I think he’s less of a longshot the deeper the fight goes. thats weird to say about a fat-boy, i know.

• Oddly enough I think Roy has this all day for the exact same reasons BigbadJohn just named. Carwin isnt technical and he’s a big slow lumbering HW. Roy on the other hand is a big fat guy who seems to have airbags in his jaw. If Carwin cant end this fast, Roy can and Roy wont make the same mistake as Big Gabe if he sees carwins eyes roll back, he’ll tag him again and then rub his belly as a victory dance

• fanoftna33 says:

Roy takes this one by KO in the third, Carwin gasses out ( like a jiced ken Shamrock does nowdays) and Roy survies the first few minutes and blasts Carwin.

• boomnutz says:

really??? you all think Roy will win? I’m trying to think if he even has a chance, maybe i’m wrong, but i think Carwin has this fight alllll day. Has Roy ever been knocked out, Arlovski did it right? if not i think we’ll see it in this fight

• Dufresne says:

If Carwin presses Roy against the cage, I think Roy’s best bet would be to jump guard. I don’t think anyone in the UFC could hold Nelson up if he pulled that trick out. Hell, I’m not convinced that Carwin + Lesnar could keep it on the feet if he jumped guard.

If Nelson can get it to the ground, I think he’s got a major advantage. Nelson has arguably the best submission game in the HW division, and combined with Carwin’s style of GnP, it could be bad for Carwin if it goes to the canvas.

On the feet I’m not sure who’s got this. Nelson evidently has a chin of granite, as he proved in the JDS fight, but Carwin is throwing dynamite in every swing (I know terrible pun, but I had to). On the other hand Nelson also throws big power, maybe not the same level as Carwin, but he’s got some bricks in his hands and I can’t remember Carwin ever getting clipped.
    In the midst of all that, I’m at a loss for who to pick on the feet.

Should be a good fight regardless.

P.S. For the trash talking, I think Roy and Carwin are probably the two most intelligent/best spoken of the HWs, so it could get really funny or really nasty, really quick.

• MCM says:

Well said Dufresne, these are my two favorite HW’s so I don’t think I’ll be rooting for either in this fight.

I still think most people underestimate Carwin’s ground game. I know, I know, he got tapped by Brock, but I think there was a lot of other stuff at play there. He normally has cardio for days, but that night his body gave out him. Couple that with the fact that nobody saw Brock trying to pull a sub and I think he was just tired and surprised. Carwin is a purple belt under Marquart and has been training with Gracie Black Belt Amal Easton for the past couple years, so he’s not ignorant of the submissions game. I just think that since no one ever saw a submission coming from Brock Lesnar, using BJJ never popped into his head. He will most definitely be thinking about it against Nelson.

Roy has one of the worst shots in MMA. His take downs are so telegraphed that he might as well yell “Get ready, here I come!” But he has surprising power in his hands. Carwin likes to stand in there and trade with dudes, but Nelson hits a lot harder than Gabe. If Nelson rocks Carwin he won’t stand there and let him up, he’ll jump on top of him lock in a Kimora or smother him with a crucifix. Roy Nelson doesn’t have a reverse either. He’s gonna keep moving forward, eating shots, looking to get a hold of you.

Really looking forward to this one.

Some on this site said that the looser of Nelson/JDS was gonna fight Carwin. I forget who it was, but kudos to you, good call.

King Kong VS Kung Fu Panda

• bigbadjohn says:

@Dufresne. Do you really think Roy could get that mid-section up high enough to jump guard on Brock or Carwin? Ive seen videos of Lesnar squatting over 600lbs.; shrugging off a 260 lb Michelin Man wouldnt likely be a problem (assumedly for Shane either). And since when did being under champion wrestlers with medicine balls for paws become a good game plan haha??
    @MCM. Cardio for days? I know wrestlers usually do have deep tanks but where do you get that idea? I must have missed his fights that went to Decision, i guess…

• MCM says:

@bigbadjohn,
    Training videos, other fighter accounts, the interwebz. Same place most of us get our info. I haven’t personally trained with him though, so it is admittedly second hand info. But then again, so is this entire article, technically speaking. ;)

• bigbadjohn says:

Yes but Ive noticed that just about everyone has someone on the interweb talking up their compete level, their cardio, strentgth, etc. Plus aive seen guys like Wandy running up 50 sets of stairs with a snorkel on and still look considerably slower in his next fight. Work in the gym isn’t always translateable to performance on the big stage. From wht I saw in the Brock fight, he looked exhausted and I’m not buying that his whole body seized up.

• Guthookd says:

Roy throws a big over hand right, which Carwin has trained for (like JDS obviously did); Carwin steps out then back in for a clinch; on the fence Roy eats a short right and the fight is over.

That’s my $.02

• Dufresne says:

That’s static weight that’s been put in an ideal position though. If someone jumps on you with the intent of pulling you down, they’re not going to be landing anywhere near an ideal lifting position and they’re definitely not going to be still.
    In the World’s Strongest Man competition the Atlas Stones is consistently one of the hardest events with people obviously struggling with smallest stones which weigh 220lbs, and these guys train to pick up big ass rocks as a career.

The problem is the leverage. Lifting something get’s exponentially more difficult the further that object’s center of mass is from the axis of you long bones.

Then you have to factor in the fact that Nelson will be moving when he jumps guard. Even a small amount of velocity dramatically changes the weight of something, that’s why I can get my bathroom scale to peg out at 450lbs+ if I jump on it even though I’m only 180lbs in reality.

So basically what I’m trying to say is, “Yes, Carwin could probably pick up Nelson without a huge amount of difficulty if Nelson was cooperating. But there’s no physical way that Carwin can catch Nelson if he jumps guard.”

• bigbadjohn says:

But I dont think Ive ever seen Roy jump guard and I still don’t think it would be a smart plan of attack. As far as physics go, you’ve got it pegged. But you can’t guarantee a strong hold if you are trying to yank your opponent on top of you. I still see a big boy like Shane capable of pushing the arms off or legs away, rendering the possible physics of it useless.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him jump period, much less jump guard. But that’s why I think it’d be a decent strategy; Carwin shouldn’t be expecting it.

But if Roy did try and Carwin did shove him off, you’re right, Roy would be in a pretty crappy spot. Trying to regain your balance with wrecking balls swinging at your face can’t be easy. And if he lands on his back and Carwin is still standing, that could be problematic as well. It’s a lot easier to control a guy if you’ve got him in guard when he gets to the mat. If Carwin decides to superman-meteor punch Roy on the way down and connects, Roy will lose a lot of weight eating through a tube for the few months after the fight.

• YetiLee says:

I have feeling that if this fight happens it will be Roy getting the win and when he does I will buy him all the cheeseburgers he can eat.

• moosebaby02 says:

i love both of these guys. but one loss to the champ when your body sized up on you dosent mean you have no cardio
    Carwin takes this by brutal tko in the 1st guaranteed

• JBAR says:

Can Roy jump high enough to pull guard? :)