UFC Super Bowl Weekend Card Packed With Star Power

Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin are set to square off at light-heavyweight on the UFC Super Bowl weekend card in Las Vegas at UFC 127 on Feb. 5.

The main card will air on pay-per-view with a title fight between middleweight champ Anderson Silva against Vitor Belfort.

If that’s not enough to whet your appetite for star power, Ryan Bader and Jon Jones are penciled in for the event as well.

Franklin comes off a knockout win in June over Chuck Liddell at UFC 115, and now nearly recovered from a broken arm early in that fight, Franklin will face perhaps the most famous fighter in MMA in Griffin. Franklin, the former UFC middleweight champ, lost two of his last three fights, a split-decision defeat to Dan Henderson and a TKO loss to Vitor Belfort, before icing The Iceman.

Griffin last saw action during a split-decision win over Tito Ortiz in November of last year. Prior to that, Griffin had back-to-back losses to Rashad Evans for the light-heavyweight title and to Anderson Silva in a catchweight tilt.

Rumors that Griffin would take on Jones were scotched after Griffin expressed his reluctance to take on “Bones” earlier this year.

• moosebaby02 says:

i wouldnt want to take on jones either. and for all you people who think bader is just going to walk right through him pass the joint over here cause that has to be some good shit

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 5

• fanoftna33 says:

I cant see Forrest being “reluctant” to fight anybody, but I am happy to see him getting a fight with Ace for sure. I dont know if I am in the minority here but I dont think the fight between Bones and Bader will turn out to be very exciting at all. With the way Bones has been putting people away I think Bader will be in takedown mode the whole fight(and rightly so), IF Jones wins it will likely be on a gassed Bader by sub late 2nd or third round.
    As for Griffen vs Ace I dont care who wins but already feel bad for who loses.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 2

• Guthookd says:

Fan – I saw the interview and Forest was certainly expressing some misgiving in fighting Jones. After he basically said that he should have run away from Anderson Silva instead of fighting him he said that Jones’ speed would be a serious problem for him.

Basically, he made it clear that he didn’t think he’d have a good chance at a win against J. Jones but that he’d fight anyone.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

• Guthookd says:

Oah, and yeah, I think Bader will take his first loss against Jones. The wrestling should be pretty much cancelled out, which leaves Jones a handful of unanswered tools with which to put Bader away.

• fanoftna33 says:

Guthooked- that sounds like Forrest kidding around, but since I havent seen ill trust your take in it. Like you I also think Bader loses her but I do think it will not be as big a blow out as most people think. Mostly because of all the anti wrestling talk Jones has been putting out there. That makes me think he is really worried about Baders wrestling and is already trying to goad him into standing with him.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Jones is in a whole different class than Bader-I don’t even want to see that match up taking place at this time-Griffin vs Franklin should be a great display of two very well rounded fighters-I’d say it’s really a toss up as to who wins that contest-If I ha to pick I would say Franklin by TKO in the third-Anderson vs. Belfort is just a big question mark to me-I don’t know what is going to happen there

• Dufresne says:

Already way to excited for this card.

Forrest v Franklin should be a really good standup war. I think Franklin takes it unless Forrest uses his leg kicks early and keeps his hand up when he throws them. I think Franklin has the advantage in speed, movement, chin, and technical striking and I have to give the pure strength and possibly the cardio and ground advantage to Forrest. If Forrest can take away Franklin’s movement he can take this, but if he doesn’t or if he drops his hands while throwing his kicks, Franklin will line that straight left up and throw it straight down the pipe.

I’m excited about Silva v Belfort, but until much closer to the fight, I’m not gonna believe that it’ll happen. This fight has been canceled too many times already for me to get my hopes up just to have them crushed again.

Bader v Jones should be awesome. I think the technical wrestling advantage goes to Bader, but this isn’t a traditional wrestling contest so I’m not sure exactly how his technique will match up with Jones’s unorthodox style and speed. I’m also not sure which one has the overall strength advantage. Bader is obviously powerful, but I’ve never seen him just ragdoll throw someone like Jones did to Hamill so it’s tough to judge. Any way it goes, I can’t see this being a boring fight.

• Creature says:

idc about bader vs jones, bader is going 2 be trying 2 pull a jake shields the whole fight which will prolly make is boring and lack luster, but franklin vs forrest, ive been calling it 4 a while now and am, very excited, pure technique and skill i give the edge 2 franklin, heart and size 2 forrest, cardio 2 rich, i believe he has some of the best in MMA hes a cardio machine. honestly i see rich being 2 mobile 2 get cought with leg kicks and has crisper stand up with the ground being even..

rich via UD

silva vs belfort, im a silva hater, cant stand him and his antics not gonna lie so belfort via TKO rd 2

• Dachman says:

Bader is great wrestler but so is Hamil and got owned by Jones. I don’t think it will be close, 1st round TKO Jones!