Welcome Home Champ – The Boys and the Band Turn Out for Marloes Coenen

Three G’s doesn’t sound like a load of cash for taking the Strikeforce women’s welterweight championship belt from Sarah Kaufman, but certain other laurels came with the Dutch fighter Marloes Coenen’s win.

On her return to Amsterdam, Coenen disembarked at Schipol Airport to the adulation of  her friends, family and some Golden Glory teammates – a cast which included Alistair Overeem. The group showered her with flowers and champagne, provided a  limousine for the ride home, and lined up a marching band to welcome her back.

Coenen went into the fight an underdog and came out a hero. That’s what makes people fight, and Coenen was clearly moved by the gesture.

Kaufman, after some initial peevishness about the way the fight ended, was somewhat gracious in defeat:

“I wanted to say congratulations to Marloes for taking the Strikeforce title from me. I haven’t had a chance to watch the fight – but I’m obviously not happy with my performance. For the most part I fought the opposite of how my coach, Adam Zugec, has me train,” Kaufman said. “I don’t really know what I was thinking. After the fight, I was distressed that I tapped and vocally said tap yet when the ref stepped in the armbar was still being applied; however, the best option for that would be to not get stuck in an armbar – or at least defend it properly.”

• Guthookd says:

That pic of her Dad (I think he is) holding up her belt is just awesome. I would be so proud of my daughter. In fact, I have one and she’s going to take that belt in another 20 years….only 2.5yrs old and she can already armbar…loves to take people’s backs when they’re sitting on the couch….and can already throw 2-punch combos on my striking pads. She’ll also sit and watch an entire main card with me….calling jabs, rights and kicks as they happen….and she goes ape shit when they hit the ground. WRESTLING DADA. WRESTLING!!!

You gotta love it.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• qat says:

im scared of your daughter ._.

• MCM says:

Damn Guthooked! My son didn’t learn to armbar until he was 3. Thanks for making me feel like a lazy dad.

• Dufresne says:

You feel like a lazy dad? My dog is almost 3 and only knows how to defend a triangle and RNC. She can’t stop an armbar for shit…

• MCM says:

Bite the thigh.

• Jak says:

I’m liking the amount of Coenen love that 5oz… is giving, it’s one of the few sites that’s giving a champion their due… good stuff.

Sarah Kaufman was being pushed to be the next SF named fighter, but when she lost, they seemed to do what they always do, lick their wounds and not promote that they have a great new champ.

Reminds me of Cavalcante, Shields, Werdum…

Overeem wants to tap that

• Guthookd says:

“Overeem wants to tap that”

Can you blame him?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Once again-SF is truly a regional show that has been given a lot of love by the corporate entities that be- because the UFC is already too powerful to be extorted by inexperienced powers that be-As much as I love the UFC’s standards-I feel that they should have incorporated both the flyweight and female divisions into the WEC structure a long time ago