Bellator, Bellator Wherefore Art Thou Bellator?

Most MMA enthusiasts around the country who turned in to FOX Sports Net this past Thursday, or one of its regional affiliates, quickly realized almost none of the channels were carrying the Bellator 32 broadcast live but instead had replays scheduled for later Thursday evening in some regions, a fact disappointing fight-fans hoping to catch live championship action.

Many Bellator fans have seen the live show preempted by local sports in the past but with Thursday’s overall sports schedule having minimal events and the sports with events were for the most part covered by other networks, fans can only wonder why their demographic was overlooked. Since Bellator Fighting Championships made its FOX Sports Net debut as FSN’s highest-rated national program on both Thursday and Sunday nights, it should come as a surprise all but two FSN affiliates did not opt to carry the LIVE Bellator 32 Event from Kansas City, MO., which featured two championship fights.

During the Bellator 33 media conference call, Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney said he missed his very first Bellator card due to the fact that he and his staff were hard at work to put together a new network deal to cover Bellator’s Season 5 tournament. Hopefully, these developments will serve as the next platform for the young promotion which has a strong foundation on which to build their programming upon. With proven increased viewership and quality production, it seems Rebney should be able to secure a mutually beneficial deal.

For people lucky enough to catch a replay or who were lucky enough to tune into live action, Bellator 32 in Kansas City provided the crowning of the promotion’s inaugural bantamweight and heavyweight champions. Zack Makovsky defeated Ed West by going the distance to a unanimous decision. Cole Konrad (7-0) submitted Neil Grove (10-3-1) with a keylock with seconds left in the first round. This marked the first finish for Konrad, who had been pilling up decision victories since entering Bellator.

Only time will tell if the next and one of the biggest cards in Bellator’s history, Bellator 33, which boasts a lightweight Super-Fight between Bellator 155-pound champ Eddie Alverez and MMA veteran Roger Huerta will be preempted for other programming…the MMA community will no doubt be keeping their fingers crossed in the meantime!

Bellator Fighting Championship 32

Main Card Results:

Heavyweight World Championship Fight

Cole Konrad def. Neil Grove via keylock submission – Round 1, 4:45

Bantamweight World Championship Fight

Zack Makovsky def. Ed West by Unanimous Decision (50-45, 50-45, 49-46)

Welterweight Special Feature Fight

Jim Wallhead def. Ryan Thomas by Unanimous Decision (29-28,29-28, 29-28).

Catchweight Special Feature Fight

Michael Chandler def. Chris Page via guillotine choke submission – Round 1, 0:57

Local Feature Fights:

Eric Marriott def. Ryan Roberts via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
Rudy Bears def. Chad Reiner via KO – Round 1, 1:29.
Jared Downing def. Danny Tims via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
Brian Davidson def. Shane Hutchison via KO – Round 1, 0:54

• crisis182 says:

I wish I only had the problem of dealing with tape delay. On Dish Network Fox Sports is currently blocked out entirely. So I missed the last half of Bellator 31 because that is when the blackout started, and of course I missed this weeks show.

• Dufresne says:

I was lucky enough to be able to watch this card live, but the week before I got some garbage show that was “taking a closer look” at a college football coach that no one has ever heard of or has ever given a shit about. Half the time when I record “Bellator Fighting Championship” on my DVR I end up with some AAAAAAA baseball game with about 15 people in the seats.
    If the stadium isn’t sold out in real life, what makes you think I’m gonna want to watch it on TV? Answer: I don’t.

Please put my MMA back on where it belongs, FSN. Thanks.

• Guthookd says:

Fun Size controlled that fight with ease. It was his from the first round.

Grove looked pathetic against Konrad. Grove’s potential heavy hands did make Cole hesitate for about 20 seconds before shooting in…but the shot came and the end followed shortly. I was glad to see Konrad finally go for a submission, and being that Grove has no ground game whatsoever, the key lock worked.

This next BFC will be a good one though. Roger and Eddie should be a great match and Zoila vs. Mega could be one-sided, but still exciting. Z always has that punchers chance and Mega will eventually get caught.

BTW, you guys have to find other ways to watch BFC beause the Networks are not relaiable, especially if you have the ever dreaded Comcast. Type these words into google and go from there: justin.tv Find the right site and your life will be changed. MFC, Shark, Sengoku, Dream, SF, BFC, TPC, KOTC…all right there in front of you everytime.

• Dufresne says:

I’ve been friends with justin for a while, but a lot of Thursday nights I’m stuck in lab while BFC is on so I have to rely on my DVR to catch them for me.
    And let me just tell you there are few things more infuriating than to come home after 16 hours in class and lab expecting to watch some quality fights only to get some backwoods retard talking about how his high school team with his brother/son at the helm is gonna destroy the competition.

• MCM says:

I admit to being completely baffled by Fox Sport Net’s continued bumping of what is obviously well rated program, especially whey they have a proven outlet for showing MMA. The answer, MyNetworkTV.
    When MYTV first came into being after the purchase of several UPN and WB, one of it’s first all original programs geard toward it’s target audience of 18-34 yr old males was the International Fight League (IFL). Although the IFL had it’s financial problems, the partnership with MYTV was a successful one for both parties. Since Fox already has what should be a successful partnership with Bellator and given that Bellator seams to be one of the best managed and successful MMA companies, I see no reason why Fox would not want to put them on network TV.

On a personal level, I was a casual fan of MMA in the early part of this century mainly because I couldn’t see most fights. I refused to pay for cable, didn’t always rent the UFC fights cause I have a wife, and there wasn’t a ton of MMA online nor the streaming capacities to watch the fights. Then the IFL hit my television and I was hooked. Now, I’m considered a “hardcore fan” and I write about MMA most everyday.
    How many other people are there like me that enjoy the occasional fight on Spike but won’t shell out for a PPV, but could easily be turned into hardcore devotees of the sport if only they were properly exposed to it.

Bellator is a well run, respectable promotion that puts on exciting fights. Fox Sport Net is losing money and opportunity by not promoting them in a proven manor.

• hindsightufuk says:

still waiting to find this to download somewhere, cant find the fucker

• Guthookd says:

Well, if the messiah Justin is already someone you know, you need to meet mmalinker for when you can’t catch the live action.

I remember the days of classes and labs Dufresne……I’ve been out for coming up on 7 years now. What a horrid time to graduate with the economy all f’d around, but things have worked out good for me. When the effort pays off and the money starts to come…..ahhhh…..things get better.

• Mr. Roze says:

this is ridiculous, I live in Dallas and almost every Bellator event gets bumped back to like 1 am but tonights Eddie Alvarez vs Roger Huerta fight isn’t scheduled to be on tv at all because of effin hockey. I feel sorry for Bellaor b/c I’m sure there losing a lot of fans due to this but if they don’t fix the problem soon there going to lose me as a fan also.