Chris Leben Arrested for Suspicion of Driving While Intoxicated

UFC middleweight Chris Leben was arrested in Honolulu on suspicion of operating a vehicle while under the influence after losing control of his truck and crashing into the wall of a highway off-ramp at approximately 2:00 AM Tuesday morning. Leben is also said to have been driving without insurance or a license. He was released from custody after posting a thousand-dollar bond and has been given a court date of November 22nd to appear in front of a judge relating to the matter.

News of the arrest was reported by Hawaii News Now.

This week’s incident is not the first time “The Crippler” has been incarcerated for DUI. Leben was also put behind bars in Oregon for a little more than a month in 2008 for a charge linked to an earlier case involving the same offense.

The arrest could not have come at much worse a time for Leben, who has won his last three bouts and is currently scheduled to face Brian Stann at UFC 125 on New Year’s Day. However, it remains possible potential litigation or sentencing associated with the case could affect his availability for the event.

• stone says:

Brian Stann? Hell, I’d be on a drinking binge too… All that hard work and awesome performances just to be matched up with Stan!…

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 4

• Kamakosmo says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 5 Thumb down 15

• Dufresne says:

Dammit boy, wtf were you thinking? I can’t get onto anyone for mistakes they make, but Leben, you’ve been here before.

You gotta learn from your past f***ups.

At least from the sounds of this report he wasn’t injured and neither was anyone else.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 2

• fanoftna33 says:

Agree with you Dufresne, at least nobody was hurt.
    I didnt know Leben was to face Stann, but that should be another great match up for the fans to see. Stann is not bad satnding with guys and Leben will trade with anybody so it looks to be a fun fight.

• Guthookd says:

I’m really glad he didn’t wreck into anyone.

That said, pay your fine, do your month, and get back to work. Brian Stan needs his bi-yearly whoopin.

• king mah mah says:

I was really looking forward to Leban and Wanderlei. Hope they make that fight happen eventually.

Either way I always look forward to watching Leban fight.

It sounds kind of weird though being arrested for “suspicion” of driving while intoxicated. Didn’t they give him a breathalizer or other sobriety tests? Hmm, maybe he denied the tests or something.

• Angry Mike says:

That’s one of the aspects of substance abuse. Sometimes people relapse when life is going well and they’re not dealing with the immediate consequences of their problem. Over confidence, or something like it. Hopefully he’ll get back on track. He’s impressed me lately, and I think he still has a career in MMA if he chooses to focus on that rather than self-destructive behaviors.

• MCM says:

I have no tolerance for Drunk Drivers. There is no difference between driving drunk and walking down the street with a loaded gun randomly firing it off.
    There is absolutely no excuse for someone like Chris Leben to be driving intoxicated. If he want’s to go out and tie one on that’s fine, but the guy has enough money to hire a cab and enough people that care for him (friends, family, students, MMA fans) that would give him a ride anywhere he wanted to go. Especially in his small community in Hawaii.
    I really enjoy watching him fight. And from everything I’ve seen of him outside of the cage, he seams like a decent guy. So I really hope he can get his act together. Just because he didn’t kill someone this time doesn’t me he won’t the next.

• Dufresne says:

I was thinking the same thing. I can only think of three reasons they would have “suspicion” that he was intoxicated:
    1) He refused the tests at the scene and by the time they got him to the jail and processed he had sobered up enough to test below the limit
    2) He was acting intoxicated at the scene due to head trauma
    3) He was in some sort of diabetic shock. Diabetic shock can cause a person to appear to be intoxicated, but obviously they would show a BAC of 0.

Since it doesn’t sound like Leben was injured I’m betting it wasn’t #2. And unless the cops down in Honolulu are signficantly nicer than the cops here in Memphis and gave Leben something to eat or drink that boosted his blood sugar, I’m betting it wasn’t #3 either.

• danw84 says:

Hey there Kamakosmo, being perfect and not driving drunk are PRETTY far apart.

Leben is an idiot for doing this for the second time. I wonder how often he does it that he doesn’t get caught or actually crash?

It doesn’t take a perfect person to not make a choice that endangers every single other person anyone near them.

Wait what’s that u say chris u want to be a coach on tuf?? Ha ha good luck with that,if DW wasn’t sure about that in the past he’s not even considering it at this present time…

I was pulling for crippler but at 30 it’s time to grow the fuck up

• TerribleT says:

No Driver’s License? You get a pass for that even though it looks pretty bad for a UFC fighter but NO INSURANCE? C’mon Chris there’s no excuse for that. You can at least afford liability insurance.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Did Leben just fight? oh no it was something about his private life. Just wake me up when it is something that I’m interested in … like MMA.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

From the CAT SMASHER to the CRIPPLER to the suspected DRUNKEN MASTER .
    I hope it ain’t true.