Shane Carwin pulls out of UFC 125 due to back injury

12-1 heavyweight Shane Carwin has withdrawn his name from the list of competitors slated to enter the Octagon at UFC 125 due to undisclosed back problems shelving him for the next few months. Carwin was scheduled to fight former IFL champ and Ultimate Fighter Season 10 winner Roy Nelson in a co-headlining bout at the New Year’s Day event.

News of the decision came via Carwin’s website where he elaborated on the situation, as well as why he felt it was in his best interest to get healthy before re-entering the ring.

“As many of you know I have been having some back pain. I had an MRI yesterday and I have some damage that may really require surgery. If the doctors do not have to perform surgery then I will be out 8-12 weeks. If they do have to perform surgery I do not know how long I will be out of action.

I was really looking forward to fighting again and obviously this is a very disappointing turn of events. My manager said “You can’t fight the best fighters in the world with just heart, it is time to stop limping to the top of the mountain and get healthy so you can climb it on your terms.” I have been up all night thinking about this decision and what I may be missing by making it.

In the end my family and manager are right. I owe myself, I owe my fans the best show I can give them. I need to get healthy. I am going to be speaking with the surgeon this week about the surgery. My thoughts are if the surgery fixes it why add 8-12 weeks of physical therapy, epidurals and traction if surgery may still be needed.

The good news is the doctors said I can work on my cardio (they must have seen my last fight lol) with this injury.”

Carwin started off his career with twelve straight first-round finishes and nearly defeated then-UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 116 last July before falling victim to exhaustion and a subsequent second-round submission.

As stated earlier, the opening created by Carwin’s departure from the January 1st, 2011 event leaves Nelson without a foe to face at UFC 125 though it seems likely a replacement will be named in the coming weeks. “Big Country” is coming off a decision-loss to top heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos in August at UFC 117 after putting together back-to-back TKO wins over Brendan Schaub and Stefan Struve.

• Dufresne says:

Damn. I was looking forward to seeing this fight too.

But you can’t really do much of anything in MMA with a jacked up back, so this is probably the best option he has.

Take care of yourself and let everything heal 100% before you start training big guy. I wanna see you back and at the top of your game.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• cere says:

And only a couple weeks after Shane’s semi-public dust up with the UFC over the Good4UDrinks ban. Hope Dana doesn’t hold a grudge.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

So what’s next for Nelson….?

Brendan Schaub rematch?… was he med. suspended???

Quick turnaround for Brock so he doesn’t lose to much ground in the HW division?? BUT he’s prob med. suspended for a few months…and doesn’t want to get hit with an over hand whopper.

Most likely the match with Frank Mir fans have been calling for???

Sorry to hear about Carwin but This could be interesting… let’s see what happens.

• Mir Schaub or Gonzaga. Gabe needs to get a win over someone who matters and Roy could be that guy. Schaub would love to avenge the loss, but I think Roy would just whip him again. And Mir…..that could be interesting, Roy has more power in his punch, Mir is a lot more technical, and both are wizards on the ground.
    Yep Mir Vs Nelson has my vote. or if he’s healthy in time….how bout Big Nog?

• MCM says:

I’m kinda glad this fight isn’t going through, but only because I don’t want to see either of these guys loose.

Next for Roy? Although there are several talented fighters in the HW division that would make a good fight, there are only 2 or 3 that can co-Headline.
    Mir is one of them of course, and the back story of Roy beating him in a grappling match when Roy was 40lbs lighter is a good one.
    Big Nog is another one. At this point, I don’t think anyone is expecting Nog to make a run for the title and he should be fighting just for the fun and pay check. Nog’s protoge’ already showed how to beat BC on the feet and if it hit the mat it could be one of the best HW grappling fights of all time.
    The 3rd is Heath Herring. We haven’t heard from Heath in years and even though he’s on the outs with Zuffa, he is still under contract. Heath was one of the most dangerous fighters in the UFC (much more so than Gonzaga or Kongo) and a fight with him a Nelson would, IMO, be exciting as hell.

I hope Carwin gets back to %100 as soon as possible cause the guy was fun as hell to watch and he’s only one or two finishes away from getting another shot at the belt.

• danw84 says:

I want Nelson vs Brock. That would be sweet and funny.

I’d guess they’ll try to make Nelson vs Mir though. I don’t think Gonzaga would have a chance against Nelson.

Big Nog would be ok. Is Crocop around still?

• bigbadjohn says:

nothing a good cycle of ‘roids won’t take care of there, Shane

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 12

• BigDave says:

I think they could find a earlyer slot on the show and put Roy vs Brendan schaub there.roy certainly has not earned co headliner status. Put Mir vs nog in that slot if they want to have a HW co-headliner.Lets see which of the two roy or brendan deserve to take the next step to fighting a top 5 guy in the division.

• elkymbo says:

Mir vs Nog? you’re joking aren’t you Big Dave? I couldn’t think of. Fight I would want to watch less. Unless it involved Jon Fitch of course. Big Country vs Brock FTW.