Dos Santos: “I’ll give my best, even a little more than that, to take his belt away and bring it to Brazil on my waist.”

Top divisional contender Junior dos Santos sat in attendance at UFC 121 this past weekend and watched Cain Velasquez dismantle then-champ Brock Lesnar in four minutes on his way to becoming the UFC’s new heavyweight title-holder. However, rather than dismiss Lesnar’s skills to cheapen the victory or express a hint of intimidation at Velasquez’s showing, the 26-year old described the bout as “beautiful”.

The hard-hitting Brazilian recently spoke to Tatame and offered his take on the championship clash, as well as how he feels about Velasquez as both a peer and future opponent.

“It was a very exciting fight to watch – I was there and it was beautiful to see,” said Dos Santos. “But, in my opinion, (Lesnar) got tired. Velasquez was smart enough and showed superiority…was calm enough to wait for the right moment and chance the picture and win by TKO.”

Dos Santos continued by stating his relative shock at Lesnar’s decision to rush Velasquez rather than set a pace more suited to a title-bout’s structure. “I was surprised, everybody was,” he began. “A title fight usually has a very cautious beginning, it’s a five-round fight, and so you start being careful so that you won’t get tired. I think (Brock) tried to really go for it, he knew that Velasquez’s conditioning was amazing. He did a great beginning, took him down and applied a flying knee, but I think he got tired.”

The 12-1 striker also acknowledged the stiff challenge he’ll face when he squares off against Velasquez in the near future in hopes of winning promotional gold, and went so far as to mention his belief the undefeated Latino is the number one heavyweight in the sport.

“I’ve met Velasquez and congratulated him. He deserves to be known as the number one today.”

However, just because he feels the American Kickboxing Academy star is #1 doesn’t mean he won’t be ready to take his place atop the division when they fight. “…he deserves, but I’ll give my best, even a little more than that, to take his belt away and bring it to Brazil on my waist,” he explained. “I’m coming back to Bahia, I’ll keep (training) and soon, when I know about the fight’s date, I’ll go to the United States to do my camp. I have wrestling guys there to help me…I have to train hard to get this belt.”

Dos Santos will enter his match-up with Velasquez having won his last seven fights including finishing performances against Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Gabriel Gonzaga, and Fabricio Werdum. He most recently defeated Roy Nelson at UFC 117 in August via unanimous decision.

PHOTO CREDIT – ESPN

• What an awesome picture for this post!
    This is the HW battle I want to see, both great strikers, solid grapplers and great conditioning. I have a feeling JDS is gonna give Cain the war that Cain seems to hunger for. I wanna see JDS win just to keep the division exciting.

• sides666 says:

I am looking forward to this one i think cain takes him down at will and puts some nasty gnp on junior. Though i can see many different ways for each of them to win. Its refreshing looking at a heavyweight battle of this calibur. Whatever happens i am sure i will be entertained

• Rich S. says:

I’m definitely going to root for JDS. But, sadly, I think he stands no chance.

I’ve yet to see what his cardio is like in a grueling fight (i.e. one filled with grappling), and even if his takedown defense is top notch (which, also, is yet to be seen), could he really stop Cain’s takedowns? I doubt it.

Here’s to a war.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Cain will dismantle him.

• MCM says:

I’ve been calling for a JDS title fight for while now and think he earned his shot before Cain did. The truth is, Cain never really impressed me that much until the Lesnar fight. I would have bet the farm on both Carwin and JDS walking right through him, now I’m not so sure.
    We still don’t know how good JDS is off his back but you gotta figure him being Brazilian and training with the Nogs, he should be pretty damn good. ‘Course, you’d of figured Cote training with GSP all those years would have given him some kind of takedown defense as well. JDS said he’s got a bunch of wrestlers he’s going to train with. IMO he would best be served just training on how to stand back up instead of trying to avoid the takedowns. If JDS can keep this fight standing, I give a better than even chance of ending it with a KO. Kongo kept rocking Cain and Dos Santos hits a lot harder than Kongo.
    On the other hand, Cain really is one of those fighters that just gets better every time he steps in the cage, and he’s been dying to get into a war. His striking, BJJ offense and defense, and speed and stamina are all gonna be better by the time they meet
    My heart is pulling for JDS but in truth I think this one is too close to call.

• mickeymarin says:

JDS dosen’t stand a chance. See him tiring out in round 2 against Big Country? Against Cain’s cardio? And all he really did in round 1 was swing away at BC? Cain will wear him out and knock him out.

• LiverPunch says:

So Valasquez one 3 rd fight of his career was enough to show his cardio was amazing?. He has only been into the 2nd half of a 3 rd fight once let alone a 5 rd war. I don’t know about you guys but I like to see proof of such things first. His wrestling gets a 8 out of 10 his striking a 7. Maybe that combined with the cardio I am always HEARING about is going to be enough but I will hold onto my judgement of his legendary abilities until there is evidence either way. I am going to go with either a TKO by Dos Santos or a yawn-fest victory by Valasquez. Prove me wrong Valasquez but I just can’t see you finishing a better striker and sub artist than you, all I can see you doing is dragging this into the 5th and final and winning via wrestling and points. I think Cain is a GOOD fighter but great, I’m skeptical. We will see.

• Jstew3785 says:

I honestly would be happy no matter who wins, as long it’s a good fight. Both guys are complete badasses so to me it’s really a toss up. I hope they announce a date soon