UFC parts ways with Patrick Cote

Word has broken that “The Predator” will be stalking prey in a new ring the next time he competes, as the UFC has released Patrick Cote after losing three consecutive bouts including an injury-related TKO to UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva in addition to his most recent outing a week ago at UFC 121 against Tom Lawlor.

News of Cote’s release came via his Twitter page where he said his time in the organization had “been an awesome experience,” while including he felt confident he would eventually make his way back to the Octagon.

The 13-7 Canadian had won five fights in a row prior to his recent run of bad luck and holds victories in his career over Kendall Grove, Ricardo Almeida, and Scott Smith.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• redwire says:

Nooo!!!

OK, it’s not that big of a surprise. I think that a big part of Cote’s recent losses have to do with ring-rust, and he’ll benefit from a couple of fights in the minors.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about it if I were Patrick. Guaranteed that he’ll get called back for the April fight in Toronto for a little home -country love.

• MCM says:

the guy was 4-7 in the UFC. Is anyone really that surprised that he’s been let go?
    He’ll go back to MFC where he’ll dominate again and possibly get called back to the UFC after a string of wins. He’s not a bad fighter, but like Jardine, he’s just too inconsistent to stay in the UFC.

• Swing Em says:

Cote should just go to Strikeforce & run through their so-called middleweight division, with the exception of Robbie Lawler & “Jacare” i think he has a punchers chance against anyone over there. He is 3 solid wins away from being called back.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think a Cote Lawler fight would be great, Cote has never been koed and both are big punchers. Against Jacare not such a great fight. I enjoy watching Patrick fight, except for the fight with Almeida he was very exciting to watch, I loved his ko over Kendall.

• Angry Mike says:

I think that knee injury in the Silva fight and the ensuing time off were more debilitating than he/we knew. Hopefully he’ll get some wins and get back to the UFC. I think he’s better than his current record suggests.

• Dufresne says:

I honestly wouldn’t be too surprised if this story is followed up with an announcement that Tito has been cut.

On MMA Live after the last UFC Dana said something to the effect of “He’s lost the last, what, 4 fights in a row? This is the UFC and just about everyone knows what happens when you lose 4 in a row. This is the big leagues.” Plus, he’s getting $250k just to show, so I’m sure the UFC wouldn’t mind keeping a quarter mil in their pockets.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dufrense, Gonzaga and Kongo should also be on the cut list dont you think?

• Dufresne says:

They should be on the list, but I don’t think they’ll get cut.

Kongo got a draw his last fight, a win the fight before, the two before that were losses to Mir and Cain, and before that he rattled off 3 straight W’s in the UFC. He’s not a great MMA fighter, but he’s big, scary looking, fairly tough, and European so I doubt they’ll cut him yet.

If Gonzaga would go back to his BJJ he wouldn’t even be on this list, but he won’t, so he is. He’s gone 3-3 in his last 6, but in his defense they were against Schaub, Carwin, and JDS so it’s not like he’s dropping them to cans. I do think that if he loses his next he’ll get the boot though, gatekeeper or not.

Cote hasn’t lost to nobodies either, but between his injury keeping him out for so long and how boring and dominating his last 2 fights were, we pretty much knew this was coming. I hope he makes it back long enough to plant an overhand right in Bispings teeth.

• MCM says:

Gonzaga has been cut.

I think the UFC still likes Kongo for the overseas shows, so he’ll probably get one more shot.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

So Cote, Leites, Lutter have been cut. Didn’t they all fight for the title?. Hmmm … Hendo has moved on and Franklin is a LHW. Sonnen has been done for drugs. If I was Maia and Marquardt I would be worried. The curse of the Spider.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Jacare, Mayhem, Lawler, Kennedy, Lindland, Hendo, Le, Smith = “so-called MW division”.?.
    You took a swing but missed. If you think that Cote would tear up that division, I disagree.

• @MMA Logic
    Lindland = Washed up has been that hasnt beaten anyone worth talkin about in several years.
    Smith= A punching bag with that one shot KO power that may or may not win him a fight should he catch you at the right time
    Lawler= See desciption of smith but much better at it
    Le= and old hack who has NEVER beaten anyone worth talkin about that wasnt 5 years past his prime.
    Jacare Kennedy Hendo= the only three that are worth talkin about in this division.

Yeah I think Cote would do just fine in this division. I think he’d expose Le, maybe get laid on for 15 minutes by the law, and have an all out war with Robbie. But i think he would fair extremely well maybe even “tear up” this division.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

So he would tear up the division by having a war with Lawler and losing a boring fight with Lindland.?
    I think a rematch with Smith would be a good start in the SF div. That leaves him behind Mayhem, Jacare, Lawler, Lindland, Kennedy who are all worth talking about. I think Le would beat him but it would be interesting. He has never beaten anyone? Well I’l put his Shamrock and Smith with no unavenged losses against Cotes big name victories over Almeida? perhaps you mean the 12-7 Grove or do you mean SMITH?. Cote is experienced and has some good victories but is no stand-out and apart from the Almeida fight, he has lost to all elite he has faced really.
    I get your point about Lindland, I mean he is that shit that his last 4 losses were to Fedor, Rampage, Belfort and Jacare. If he were to fight Cote I would have my money on Lindland. So if he is washed up but you think Cote would lose, what does that make Cote?.
    Like I said ( and you actually said also), he would tear up nothing.
    He would have interesting match ups with Villasenor, Manhoef, Amoussou under co-pro but my point was he wouldn’t tear up the SF MW div, what was your point?. I hope he does to SF but I don’t expect him to make huge waves, just a ripple or 2.