Strikeforce cuts ties with Roxanne Modafferi

Fan-favorite Roxanne Modafferi has been released by Strikeforce according to a blog entry from the 28-year old grappler. In her departure the promotion loses not only a highly competitive 135-pound female but perhaps the most endearing smile in Mixed Martial Arts.

Modafferi, known for her upbeat attitude as much as her ground-skills and heart, expressed understandable disappointment in the situation but also managed to maintain her positive disposition in lieu of unfortunate circumstances.

“On Friday, I got the letter in the mail notifying me of my release. I’m pretty bummed out…there are still women I want to fight in that organization! But I really had an amazing time. I can’t discount these experiences…they were so valuable for me, and enriched my life. I’ve made a lot of new fans, and met so many people….it just confirms that being able to fight is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. Thank you for that, Strikeforce. You have a great organization.”

Five Ounces of Pain contacted Strikeforce to get their official stance on the subject and received the following response from executive Mike Afromowitz, who said, “We released Roxanne and wish her the best of luck. If she is successful in the future, we may be able to have her fight again for Strikeforce.”

“The Happy Warrior” is 15-6 in her career with wins over Strikeforce welterweight champ Marloes Coenen and Tara LaRosa. However, while Modafferi was able to notch a pair of victories outside of Strikeforce since debuting last November, she was beaten by TKO in her last appearance by 12-1 former title-holder Sarah Kaufman as a result of receiving a vicious third-round slam.

• ByronGiant says:

Am I wrong for saying “If she was a man she wouldn’t have been cut.”? Or am I wrong for saying “If this was a bigger org. she wouldn’t have been cut.”? I don’t think I’m wrong… look at Jorge Grugel.

I don’t know how there cutting women to begin with… theres not that many to start. Bellator had a nice roster of ladies last season guess we’ll see what happens…maybe she’ll get a fight or 2 over there.

Not for nothing but if I had to go strictly based upon that picture of her I’d have fire her too…

• fanoftna33 says:

This was to bad as Roxanne only fought 2 of the best ladies in SF. A loss to Marleos isnt any thing to be ashamed of and Sara is pretty decent also. Maybe SF could have put her in with another middle of the pack lady to see if she could hang but hopefully she gets a few wins in other orgs and comes back.

• MCM says:

No love for Geek fighters, hey Rece Rock?

Where is Roxanne gonna go? I was just doing some research and found that outside of SF and Bellator, King of the Cage is the only somewhat stable promotion that does womens fighting. A lot of the top female fighters haven’t fought in years. Both Gina and Erin Toughill haven’t fought in over a year and Kelly Kobold hasn’t fought in over 2. And SF wants to cut someone as good as Roxanne Modafferi?
    I really hope the lighter weight divisions work out well for the UFC cause I would love to see them finally add women’s MMA to there rosters and finally give these fighters a proper home.

• fanoftna33 says:

Well said MCM, although not for nothing, unlike some readers here (rece rock) I could care less what a lady looks like but care more about how she fights, and Roxanne is a very fun fighter to watch.

MMA markets itself to the coveted 18-35 male demographic…

I never knocked her skills… Gina, Toughill ,

( HIT SUBMIT SRY)

I never knocked her skills… Gina, Toughill , Ziola just probably have a better chance keeping on a roster regardless of records or titles… once again its strictly business.

• Roxyfighter says:

SWEET! I didn’t know Mr. Afromowitz had said that! o?(*???*)??? Thanks!!